Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Axle Nut
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elpasorabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

66 Bug I am restoring and when reassembling I am having a hard time with the rear passenger axle nut. I can't seem to get it on enough to put the cotter pin in it. I can stick a wire through but not the normal cotter. Is this common? I see on other threads people are recommending over 200# of torque on this puppy. Not sure what I am putting on it now but absent taking a sledge to the breaker bar it is on there. Could something be in the way?
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

You can't get it tight enough with a breaker bar and socket. They make a special axle nut tool that goes on a breaker bar. You hit the tool with a heavy hammer while putting pressure on with the breaker bar. You need to get that nut TIGHT!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

Doesn't sound like everything is seated properly. I would make sure the bearing is seated. I had that problem and the bearing wasn't seated all the way. Leaked like crazy and made a heck of a lot of noise. I had to tear it apart again.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

Yes, it's 217 ft. lbs

h~moto wrote:
You can't get it tight enough with a breaker bar and socket.

Umm, yes you can, just stand on the on the breaker bar with your body.

Math time:
Let's say you weight 217 lbs.
You would stand on the bar with your full body weight 1 foot (12 inches) out from the socket to apply that much force.

If you weight less...
Let's say you weight 170.
You would stand on it 217 * 12 inches / 170 = 15.3"
Substitute your weight in that formula for the 170 to get where you should stand.
And it means stand on it, don't jump.

Don't hammer stuff. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SdAufKla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

Try slipping a 4' long piece of metal pipe over the handle of your breaker bar. This should give you the added leverage you need. This is the method that I use.

I believe a bit over 50# of force on the 4' pipe will give you the 200+ foot pounds you need at the minimum on the axel nut.

You'll also need the parking brake set and / or chocks for the rear wheels to keep them from turning as you crank on that nut.

Seems like "Mission Impossible" the first time you do it, but you need to find a system that works for you (expedient or proprietary tools) because if you're going to do your own maintenance, removing the rear brake drums is required to R&R the rear brakes (among other jobs).

Besides the "hammer nut breaker" tool, there's also the ever popular "Torque Master" tool, which I always swear to myself that I'm gonna buy every time I use my cheater pipe (but then never do since the pipe works quite well...)

Good luck!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

elpasorabo wrote:
I can't seem to get it on enough to put the cotter pin in it. I can stick a wire through but not the normal cotter. Is this common? I see on other threads people are recommending over 200# of torque on this puppy. Not sure what I am putting on it now but absent taking a sledge to the breaker bar it is on there. Could something be in the way?

If you can stick a wire through the hole but not the cotter pin, and the axle nut is quite tight, then you're REAL CLOSE, just have to tighten the nut a tad more. You can do it, use the extension bar, get a TorqueMeister tool, a $40 Harbor Freight electric impact wrench and a $15 36mm impact socket, or the Whack-a-Mole axle tool and a sledge hammer.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

h~moto wrote:
You can't get it tight enough with a breaker bar and socket. They make a special axle nut tool that goes on a breaker bar. You hit the tool with a heavy hammer while putting pressure on with the breaker bar. You need to get that nut TIGHT!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

put this special tool on the nut and whack that puppy, with a 3 pound sledge to line the holes up after you know it is torqued about right... I used to borrow a 250 pound torque bar from a friend and then I bought one at Lowe's for $89, guaranteed for life and now lend it out a lot.

After torqued to 250 pounds, use this great and necessary tool to line the holes up... not a good idea to loosen it a little, at this point. Just be attentive.... that's all it is.

This WORKS!
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK

Last edited by ZENVWDRIVER on Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

Pep Boys and O'Reilly have 1/2 inch torque wrench loaner tools that go to 250 ft lbs.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Pep Boys and O'Reilly have 1/2 inch torque wrench loaner tools that go to 250 ft lbs.

Good idea to rent one... Buying your own is my preference. then if your a fuc*er, you can rent yours out.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elpasorabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

Thanks folks for all the great feedback. Sounds like most have experienced the concern of over tightening, but just get over it. I will break out the cheater and get on it. Thanks
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

Note that the 216 ft.lb. spec is the minimum torque. You tighten the nut that far, then if needed to clear the cotter pin hole, tighten it further.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Note that the 216 ft.lb. spec is the minimum torque. You tighten the nut that far, then if needed to clear the cotter pin hole, tighten it further.

correct info as always Phil. bill may
gingergypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

if you rent from autozone you have three months to return it. i think pep boys only gives you a week or two.

Currently residing in yosemite valley with Elizabeth, if you are in the park come say hi!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

gingergypsy wrote:
if you rent from autozone you have three months to return it.

Unless they've changed, the tools I've gotten from Autozone on the loaner program were "forever" if you kept the box. One pays deposit of more than the tool sells for, so Autozone doesn't care if you keep it, it's a sale. I believe that my gear puller and tie rod end puller were done this way.

I also used loaner ring compressor and cylinder hone from Autozone in 2011 for the rebuild of my B2200 truck engine.

O'Reilly and Pep Boys do loaner tools differently (finite time to return), have not yet used either of those sources.
gingergypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
gingergypsy wrote:
if you rent from autozone you have three months to return it.

Unless they've changed, the tools I've gotten from Autozone on the loaner program were "forever" if you kept the box. One pays deposit of more than the tool sells for, so Autozone doesn't care if you keep it, it's a sale. I believe that my gear puller and tie rod end puller were done this way.

I also used loaner ring compressor and cylinder hone from Autozone in 2011 for the rebuild of my B2200 truck engine.

O'Reilly and Pep Boys do loaner tools differently (finite time to return), have not yet used either of those sources.

im not sure. i rented a torque wrench, axle nut tool, and breaker bar and when i asked they said three months. but who knows? maybe they're just told to say that.

Currently residing in yosemite valley with Elizabeth, if you are in the park come say hi!
surfbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

You need a torque multiplier. http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-16-9602

For years I messed with the long torque wrench, and the "beater tool". You'll never go back to that nonsense once you get the torque multiplier.
BXRJIM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

SdAufKla wrote:

You'll also need the parking brake set and / or chocks for the rear wheels to keep them from turning as you crank on that nut.

I also use the multiplyer tool and its worth the extra few bucks.

I would not use the parking brake when torqueing these axle nuts. The added pressure from the breaks on the drums will not show exact torque. Not only do break pads stop the wheel from turning they will drag on the drums side ways for seating things and compressing everything.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

BXRJIM wrote:

I would not use the parking brake when torqueing these axle nuts. The added pressure from the breaks on the drums will not show exact torque. Not only do break pads stop the wheel from turning they will drag on the drums side ways for seating things and compressing everything.

You overthink things.
It really doesn't matter if you get the exact torque. Just be over 217.

You might think that since they called it 217, you shouldn't let it go if it's only 215. Not so. The original VW spec is 30mkg. 217 is a conversion from that value.
Later VWs had an axle nut spec of 35mkg, or 253ftlbs.
BXRJIM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
BXRJIM wrote:

You overthink things.
It really doesn't matter if you get the exact torque. Just be over 217.

You might think that since they called it 217, you shouldn't let it go if it's only 215. Not so. The original VW spec is 30mkg. 217 is a conversion from that value.
Later VWs had an axle nut spec of 35mkg, or 253ftlbs.

I still have to disagree with this method. I have had an issue with doing it this way and to prove it to myself I set the parking break and set the torque on the crown nut with my mutiyer tool- released the parking break and the torque was abut 48# low.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Reply with quote

I wouldn't dilly dally or dither about the situation. Go to your tool box and get your torque wrench (you know the same one that you use to tighten the flywheel gland nut)( a essential tool for working on cars) and set it to specification.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: