Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Semaphores correct for my 50?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1953Volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Semaphores correct for my 50? Reply with quote

I'm a little confused here with my semaphores that came with my June/50 beetle. First they are L/R directional style and appear to be SWF brand. date code is matching and look like they are EB or BB which would put them for May/50 or Feb/50. If they are May/50 then they are correct for my car? Also even if they are Feb/50 then maybe? But I thought directional semaphores are pre -50. I need some education on this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1962 DOUBLE CAB
1957 11G
1958 Single cab
1967 camper bus
1959 ragtop 2226460 (in Japan)
1964 Karmann Ghia
1964 Cadillac coupe De Ville (a.k.a. Husslah)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bengt H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Semphores correct for my 50? Reply with quote

They are correct as I see it, I have an unrestored july -50 with the exact same semphore feb/may combo, and there are other june/july splits with R/L semaphores.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Semphores correct for my 50? Reply with quote

Those appear to be 46-49 style and L143 part number versus L.143 but the date stamps do say 1950.

Possible not originally installed on a VW?

I'm sure a semaphore expert will have the definitive answer

EDIT, posted at the same time as Bengt..they appear to be correct?
1953Volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Semphores correct for my 50? Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Those appear to be 46-49 style and L143 part number versus L.143 but the date stamps do say 1950.

Possible not originally installed on a VW?

I'm sure a semaphore expert will have the definitive answer

EDIT, posted at the same time as Bengt..they appear to be correct?

They appear that they were original to the vehicle but not 100% sure. Now My 50 is a Hoffman export to USA. They have been on the car through several paint jobs. This is a hard call. I believe they may be the originals from the factory. Im going to try contact previous owners of the car to see if they have been changed . d'oh!
1962 DOUBLE CAB
1957 11G
1958 Single cab
1967 camper bus
1964 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Semphores correct for my 50? Reply with quote

sled wrote:
the date stamps do say 1950.

I'm still of the belief that date stamps just reference the manufacture date not the date of the vehicle they belong on.

In this case, I think semaphores like this were for 1949 and earlier cars but replacements for those cars were likely manufactured for a while into 1950 to meet the demand of replacements on <1950 cars. Eventually a different design with similar functionality (non-L/R semaphores) were used as replacements going forward.

I believe progressive refinements mentions the change to non directional semaphores.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Semphores correct for my 50? Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
sled wrote:

I'm still of the belief that date stamps just reference the manufacture date not the date of the vehicle they belong on.

In this case, I think semaphores like this were for 1949 and earlier cars.

Is this possibly why the part number appears to be for an earlier semaphore? Meaning they were produced later but intended to replace previous part...

I haven't seen any 50-later cars with 'directional' semaphores. Not to say that is definitive..
1953Volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Semphores correct for my 50? Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
sled wrote:

In this case, I think semaphores like this were for 1949 and earlier cars but replacements for those cars were likely manufactured for a while into 1950 to meet the demand of replacements on <1950 cars. Eventually a different design with similar functionality (non-L/R semaphores) were used as replacements going forward.

I believe progressive refinements mentions the change to non directional semaphores.

I surely appreciate your input and knowledge regarding this subject. That makes sense. On the hunt for some semaphores. You mentioned you have some. Can you send me some pictures and prices please.
1962 DOUBLE CAB
1957 11G
1958 Single cab
1967 camper bus
1964 Karmann Ghia
Steve in NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores correct for my 50? Reply with quote

Can someone breakdown/explain the date code on these numbers?

143. 001-2
L143.001-2

Steve
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Semphores correct for my 50? Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
sled wrote:

What she said. Smile

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores correct for my 50? Reply with quote

BTW, I have a pair of "EB" sems as well, and they are the "long nose", non R/L style, the very first version of the universal ribbed SWF. No sliding bulb access door under the lens. They are seen in the Sept 1950 Service Manual. Further evidence that the stamp was the date of sem manufacture (remember, they were not made by VW, so SWF could not have possibly known what year/month car they would end up in) and those '50 stamped R/L ones were probably for replacement part stock as Nancy pointed out.

I also believe that some standards might have gotten them in production in '50. I remember one guy had a pretty good case/documentation that they were original on his '50. I think that in 1950, VW was trying really hard (with the "deluxe" Beetle esp.) to break into new markets and if a part was redesigned, was "better" than the old, then the production of the fanciest cars for the emerging markets probably got them first. VW then probably had large stocks of the "old" part and would have used them up in establish market, lower cost standards.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: