Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RIP Tunnel Tree
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: RIP Tunnel Tree Reply with quote

http://gizmodo.com/after-more-than-100-years-californias-iconic-tunnel-tr-1790964594

Sad
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Tunnel Tree Reply with quote

Oh crap!

RIP (I think this is the same tree)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Tunnel Tree Reply with quote

Correct me if Im wrong.. but isn't the tree that bit the dust In Calaveras California ... .. a copy of the original in Yosemite which fell in 69 ish??

If so.. the kool magazine shot above.. should be the Yosemite tree..

Either way.. a bucket list item.. I wont get to do..

On to the next..

Or.. Think

Somebody start carving another..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Tunnel Tree Reply with quote

That's sad, I bet they'll make another though.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Tunnel Tree Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
That's sad, I bet they'll make another though.

Not with all the tree huggers around here and the time it will take just to get a permit to do it.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Tunnel Tree Reply with quote

I was trying to find the dates for the two big-old trees mentioned above, and happened on this... There are 3 others! Just not as big, but at least one is apparently perfect for a VW - note the bus pic:
http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=2464
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Tunnel Tree Reply with quote

I remember gong through it when I was a kid....long ago. Ive never been to yosemite, but as I recall...I lived in calaverus area...I think.....but... that was long ago. and I was kinda small when I went through it...witch may be why the tree looked so big Shocked
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Tunnel Tree Reply with quote

There was a piece on NPR yesterday with someone from the national park service speaking..
Whike she noted that hacming into an old growth redwood like that would never happen again in this day and age......it did serve an excellent purpose back when it was originally done.
It was done by the national parks service on both trees. The original fell as noted in 1969....and was about 100 miles away from this one.

They were done as tourist attractions back in the day when the national parks did not have enough funding or interest among the population. These toudist attractions helped to not only expand the interest in the parks....they greatly expanded traffic and funding....so even though the naturalists gnash their teeth when they see the pictures of these trees......they served a valuable purpose far greater than their loss. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Tunnel Tree Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
There was a piece on NPR yesterday with someone from the national park service speaking..
While she noted that hacking into an old growth redwood like that would never happen again in this day and age.....

Im sure it will eventually come out.. the drive-thru trees would have still been standing.. if they were never altered..

Buncha Freakin Tree Huggin' Hippies.. Mad

It's nature... good luck saving yourself.... let alone the trees there lady..
Laughing

On a lighter note.. One from Leggett, California...

Back on my bucket list... Wink
http://www.drivethrutree.com/

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Tunnel Tree Reply with quote

The Pioneer Cabin Tree that fell yesterday in Calaveras County apparently was chosen by the then landowner in the late 1800's for a tunnel cut because it already had a burn scar. I guess those trees are already pretty old to be big enough to accommodate a tunnel and with the drought we've been having and all, and the fact that the tree was allegedly already mostly dead, to me it's no surprise it fell in the storm. Too bad, I would have liked to have seen it.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Tunnel Tree Reply with quote

Yay! There are still more!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Tunnel Tree Reply with quote

How much did they charge to drive through that thing?
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Tunnel Tree Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Im sure it will eventually come out.. the drive-thru trees would have still been standing.. if they were never altered..

Not true. Giant sequoia trees only have a root base going down about 6-20 feet. So this shallow root system has to counter balance a 300 foot tall 2 million pound tree. Now you factor in the fact it's been raining here in CA for well over a week now. The ground has become extremely soft. Combine that with the crazy wind this last storm brought and the shallow root base simply couldn't hold the tree any longer. There's also been countless mudslides out here in CA as well because of the rain.
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Tunnel Tree Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
On a lighter note.. One from Leggett, California...

Back on my bucket list... Wink
http://www.drivethrutree.com/

I did that one in September, it was awesome Very Happy

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Tunnel Tree Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Not true. Giant sequoia trees only have a root base going down about 6-20 feet. So this shallow root system has to counter balance a 300 foot tall 2 million pound tree. Now you factor in the fact it's been raining here in CA for well over a week now. The ground has become extremely soft. Combine that with the crazy wind this last storm brought and the shallow root base simply couldn't hold the tree any longer. There's also been countless mudslides out here in CA as well because of the rain.

Yes.. I know.. Rolling Eyes .. twas just a sly joke ..

Then there shouldn't be any reason not to start hacking to create another.. Wink

Usually and often edited
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Tunnel Tree Reply with quote

The point made by the piece on NPR.....was that the funding and attention to the national forests....these National forests in particuoar....was so poor and so many people way back then didn't have any idea what was there for them to experience.....not like they would see it on the news or look it up on the internet Rolling Eyes ......the the sacrifice of a few trees to make a tourist attraction....was deemed a minor loss.

And.....it was a minor loss. The PR campaigns for the national forests and parks systems over the years made them a jewel in the crown of American national resources. It did more good than the loss of a handful of trees did.

You do know dont you.....that Sequoyah and redwood trees in these forests fall every year.

Aside from the root issues mentioned.....the model is that even if part of he tree dies.....and sometimes many years ago.....usually in the branch junctions very high up...water pools. It rots a section of the trunk. It fills with water in the rains...makes an eco system for a huge range of wildlife....and while that is great....it leads to the hollowing out of the whole and kills the structural support. It falls....sometimes taking out a live tree or two next to it.

Its sad that the tunnel trees eventually fall because its one more piece of history gone....but thats the only reason its sad. Its one tree of hundreds of thousands that have thrived due to the publicity, management and funding these hacked up trees provided.

No...it really does not need to be replaced by another hacked up tree.....because its not necessary to create interest in the national forest system. Its at an all time high. Ray
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Tunnel Tree Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
.....that Sequoya and redwood trees in these forests fall every year.

But !! .. did anybody hear them??.. ?? Laughing

raygreenwood wrote:
No...it really does not need to be replaced by another hacked up tree.....because its not necessary to create interest in the national forest system. Its at an all time high. Ray

If you build it.. they will come.. Wink

Usually and often edited
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: