Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pan gasket
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Pan gasket Reply with quote

I have my buggy's body off the pan so I can do some refurbishing.
What you you guys use for a pan gasket? Regular VW pan gasket?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pan gasket Reply with quote

Lots of people use the standard pan gasket. I have also used the foam gasket that goes between a pick-up bed and a cap.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pan gasket Reply with quote

not to highjack this thread, but is a pan gasket necessary??
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pan gasket Reply with quote

The pan gasket seals the body to pan joint preventing water from splashing through the joint....keeps your feet a little drier!

(With way more projects than spare time!)
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pan gasket Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Lots of people use the standard pan gasket. I have also used the foam gasket that goes between a pick-up bed and a cap.

I used this stuff on the bed of my old Ford Ranger, when I installed a canopy. Very easy to work with.
This might be the easiest way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigfatloser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pan gasket Reply with quote

Straight body to pan on mine.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pan gasket Reply with quote

Get a calking gun and a tube of auto body seam sealer. I've seen many use a tube of house calking or silicone.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Pan gasket Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Get a calking gun and a tube of auto body seam sealer. I've seen many use a tube of house calking or silicone.

i would think that auto seam sealer would give an unbreakable bond. like what do you do if you need to lift the body off for some reason
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pan gasket Reply with quote

I have used the foam truck topper tape, the watertight curing sealer, and the original pan gasket.

Just like on my pickup truck topper, the foam seal worked it's way out on the ends.

The curing sealer worked great, but the issue if I had to remove the body would involve cutting it off like a old GM windshield.

The pan gasket tends to leak a little at the ends and is a PITA to hold in place while placing the body on.

Not a fan of body straight to chassis. The body moves a little no matter what you do. The fiberglass is like a harsh sandpaper and cuts the finish off of the chassis resulting in rust prematurely. I have taken several apart that were body-direct on the chassis and these were the only ones I have seen rust out the top of the pan mounting flange.

All have the pro's and con's. All of the recent buggies I have built have had the original pan gasket, with curing sealer on the ends. To keep in place, I use small stainless steel trim style screws to hold the gasket in place. Not too much to cut the body off if needed. At MOTB '16, I had my buggy in fresh water half way up the sides of the tub, and no water came inside from around the body seal.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pan gasket Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Presently, I'm leaning towards using the canopy tape, but I won't be putting the body back on the pan for another 2 or 3 months, so I have lots of time to change my mind.....and then chance it again.... Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: