Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter wont crank
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: CV Joints 1973 Beetle Reply with quote

Some Aftermarket CV's with the axles are smaller and not original and original CV parts don't match them. So unless the splines are messed up or something just get CV's OEM CV's for your car. I have gotten OEM Lobro joints from AutoHausAZ.

Last edited by Danwvw on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Baby's Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter wont crank Reply with quote

I'm trying to understand if i need a new CV joint/axle or should just replace the boot. The more i think about it the better the axle/CV seem to be in my head. Since i had the wheels off the ground and pulled the CVs to pull the tranny, it would be normal to pulled out until i put weight back on the wheels and it pushed back in right?

Like i said i was able to get it pushed back in and everything tightened and seems very stable now, but i dont know if thats a good fix. Regardless i have to at a minimum replace the boot, and the reason im asking the question is JBugs has 4 boots for $18 where a CV kit is 65$ for a single side.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter wont crank Reply with quote

I have not done a Bugs cv joints just Buses and Porsches all my bugs were early before them. But yeah, things slide around. Shafts move in and out. The thing you want to do is grab the axle and turn it forward and backward and determine if there is much play. If there is not much play then the ones you have are probably good but they will need cleaning and repacking. The easiest time to do this is with the engine out. But it can be done anytime and is much easier with the car up on a lift.
You can kind of get an idea of what to do and what to look for from a U-Tube video like this one 914 CV-Joints Part 2 however your cv joints are probably a different part number, the assembly etc should be the same. Wear plastic gloves, Clean CV's up completely de-grease (I use mineral sprits) then put in new grease and new boots. The bolts can be re-used but come with new joint kits. Got to get the old dirt out of the socket head or spline bolts then they are pretty easy to remove and work with. After you have had them back together for a few days driving go under the car again and tighten them again. I use a 3/8" ratchet and allan or spline socket to do mine. Vice grips will work though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: