Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical gremlin and front end shimmy
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Electrical gremlin and front end shimmy Reply with quote

Ok, my '74 Thing is messing with me and I'm stumped on this one...
Sometimes when I pull the headlight switch, the headlights come on but the front turn signals don't work.
Other times, the headlights don't come on, but the turn signals do, they stay on constantly and also blink when I hit the turn signal lever.
Any advice?
Thanks

Oh yeah, I also have a front end shimmy around 45-55 mph.
Need advice on that also
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical gremlin and front end shimmy Reply with quote

hey MConstable,

Electrical I'm guessing the head light switch (or it sounds like that)
but, I'm not sure.

but the shimmy....

The steering stabilizer (small shock absorber in steering) can cause that, it's sometimes described as "the death wobble" but that's usually a violent steering wheel shake at speed.

the stabilizer is close to the gas tank underneath the THING.

Of course, wheel alighnment and tie rod ends going bad, wheel bearings, even brakes, tires, etc can cause a shimmy.

In my case I had 2 bent rims (the chrome wide 5's) they would never balance correctly, one was really bad, I replaced my wheels to fix that.
at 45-50 it was kidney punch after punch.
In the process I also realized my THING was missing the front sway bar, had to get one of those as well.
I even got the wide 5 adaptor to help balance them, for 1 wheel it was a crap shoot.

let us know what you find, I'm sure others will chime in.

Confirm what you can as known good and you will eventually find the culprit.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical gremlin and front end shimmy Reply with quote

First on you electrical get all new fuses, not just look and say they are good. Next with battery disconnected clean both sides of the fuse block until you have shinney brass. Then see if that changes anything. Fuses are all 8 Amp except #9 that is 16 Amp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical gremlin and front end shimmy Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
First on you electrical get all new fuses, not just look and say they are good. Next with battery disconnected clean both sides of the fuse block until you have shinney brass. Then see if that changes anything. Fuses are all 8 Amp except #9 that is 16 Amp.

One of these days I'll learn to double check mechanics work
Fuse block isn't even attached to the dash.
Does it attach to the inside or outside of the dash?
Thanks
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical gremlin and front end shimmy Reply with quote

Mounts to the left dash panel with a spring clip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical gremlin and front end shimmy Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
Mounts to the left dash panel with a spring clip.

I've got the location, I've replaced fuses in it, but it isn't attached to the dash, isn't it supposed to be screwed to the das panel?
And thank you for the help, she's going to be my daily driver for a while
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical gremlin and front end shimmy Reply with quote

The box will clip in on the right side and a clip that fits into the hole on the left side. Did you clean where the fuses makes contact on both sides?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: