Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What style is my new camper?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajochum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

I have just purchased a 1978 VW camper with the solid metal roof. I've tried to analyze the VIN and am having little luck on most of the VW VIN analysis sites. The number is 2382003479. Could someone shed some light on how the numbers break down?
Also, the vehicle is white with some stripes across it - 5 to be exact and they range from black to green and orange - and run the length of the sides. Are these original?
I've been searching to see if there is a conversion package to add or a pop-top that would appear original? I am assuming that the metal roof versions are not as desired. On the other hand, is originality a plus?
Thanks for the replies!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

Since you have a '78 this makes it a Bay Window Bus (1968 - 1979). There is a separate forum for those models and you'll want to post your question there. This is the Vanagon forum (1980-1991).

Welcome to the samba! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

all information for your question is on your M plate behind the drivers seat-

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/mcodest2.php

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

THIS http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1987829
PLUS alot of work, money and time
WILL convert your tintop into a poptop camper.

you can also convert it to a hightop if that may be your thing.
pop/high tops come around, but not often and not always complete and not always within easy driving distances.

you live in WNY, so when it's cold and snowing out, time to settle in here at the Bay forum and do some searching and reading.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba!

I'm sure you'll love your new bus. My first was a 1971 tintop Campmobile, and I wish I still had it. Since yours is a 1978, it's even better since it should have fuel injection.

Once you are able to decode the m-plate as pioneer1 shows, please post it here. Then the group will be able to give you more feedback. Also, be sure to include lots of pictures, including the engine, or you will hear lots of grumbling coming from them. Lol!

Edit... If you need help with the m-plate translation, just post a pic of the m-plate here, and we'll do it for you.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ajochum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

Hi guys - Thanks for the quick responses. Unfortunately, I have searched and searched behind the front driver's seat and can't find any plate telling the information I need. On the driver's side door panel there is silver colored plate that has the same numbers as are on the windshield: 2382003479 and a 09/77 with 08/77 underneath. There is a sticker marked pastellweifi L 90 D behind the seat on the white metal piece and along side of that is a 2" or so sticker marked: "Campaign Code" DZ and underneath that is "1st./Dealer No. /20/212.
The seat is padded in the back and I just can't see anywhere the VIN number would be.

Any hints?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's nothing that looks like this behind the driver's seat?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

Maybe this?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=543997&highlight=plate+location

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

^^^^^ Yes

foxmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

pencil tracing worked for me
ajochum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys.
I didn't have any tools with me so I couldn't get underneath to locate the VIN number under the dash. Am I seeing right? Is it behind the glove compartment?
I'm really pleased with it. The interior is the green plaid and is in wonderful condition with no tears, fading or stretching. It has the sink, icebox, and water container. The underside has some "surface" rust but I see no holes.
Unfortunately, it has the spare tire on the front and at some point was used as a battering ram. Thus, the front has a dent in it along with the bumper. The windshield is cracked, but other than that, it looks pretty good with 76,000 miles. It has been in dry storage for the past 12 years.
It may take awhile, but I will post some photos as well as the VIN when I find it.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

I did think it was on the passenger side, but babysnakes has one on the drivers side? is it on both sides?
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

It is on the drivers side behind the gauge cluster on the air duct tin just like in the pic. Just get in there with your cell phone camera and take a pic. You can feel around to see exactly where it is. Should be able to see it with a flashlight. I had all my info in less than a half hour using the m code decoder on this site.
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

Took me about 50 tries to get a pic of mine. just trace it with a pencil. you can reach under the dash on the drivers side and feel it.

RE: poptop - Its just a personal taste thing. Some people like tintops and some like poptops. I personally like my tintop. FYI: converting is a YUGE job
Not a Priest.
ajochum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

BusPriest wrote:
Took me about 50 tries to get a pic of mine. just trace it with a pencil. you can reach under the dash on the drivers side and feel it.

RE: poptop - Its just a personal taste thing. Some people like tintops and some like poptops. I personally like my tintop. FYI: converting is a YUGE job

Making me feel real good about it being a "tintop". I think this is going to be a fun project.
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
^^^^^ Yes

I knew that pic would come in useful someday!

The easiest way to get access for a pic is to remove the front driver's side turn signal light, as I've done in the pic (and it's a useful opening for many other things). See that dark square area to the upper left - you can see the handles and my red toolbox in the background.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

I have bad news for you. Your bus is not new. It's almost 40 years old Smile
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
ajochum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

I got underneath the driver's side dash and took photos with my iPhone today. I am totally confused about the numbers with regards to the site's VIN identification. Can any of you figure it out?

These are the numbers from the plate and I left spaces where there were spaces on the plate:

82 00 3479
227 246
992634 D52 P21 00
31 1 7550 UR 2319 01

Can anyone tell me anything? The Sambi plate numbers don't match up a bit. I can tell you it is a 1978 for sure and a white camper with green plaid interior, left hand drive.

Last edited by ajochum on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

This may help:

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What style is my new camper? Reply with quote

I believe there are 2 errors in the info you provided.

First line should be the same as the last 8 digits of your serial number.

Second and with reference to the last line there should be 2 additional digits after 2319 on the last line.

Please recheck your m code plate and edit the info in your last post.

Then proceed to the link that Spike0180 provided and enter the data. You will learn all about your bus.

FYI.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: