Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Considering changing cams and looking for input.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwdaniel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

1st the engine details: 2275/76, 94mm bore, 82mm stroke, .08 deck shims around 9:1 compression with 55cc CB 42/37.5 heads, Engle TCS10 Cam, 1.25 rockers, Dual IDF 44’s I built this several years ago for use in a sandrail. The thinking was it would get a turbo eventually, but never got around to it. It runs strong as is.

Had a valve and piston conflict and now have it down for repairs and refresh. The lifters have some pitting probably due to not knowing about the zinc problem early on. So thinking about a new cam.

What I would like is to get a little more low end out of it and still be turbo ready when the time comes.

Possible?

Last edited by cwdaniel on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:15 am; edited 2 times in total
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

cwdaniel wrote:
1st the engine details: 2275/76, 92mm bore, 82mm stroke, .08 deck shims around 9:1 compression with 55cc CB 32/47.5 heads, Engle TCS10 Cam, Dual IDF 44’s I built this several years ago for use in a sandrail. The thinking was it would get a turbo eventually, but never got around to it. It runs strong as is.

Had a valve and piston conflict and now have it down for repairs and refresh. The lifters have some pitting probably due to not knowing about the zinc problem early on. So thinking about a new cam.

What I would like is to get a little more low end out of it and still be turbo ready when the time comes.

Possible?

Ok an 82x92 is a 2180. No big deal. Maybe you have 94s and its a 2276. I think you also had a bit of dyslexia and swapped the 3 and 4 on your heads to give you 42 x 37.5s. The deck height is a little bit large, doable but Id opt and try to tighten it up a bit if possible. I like the fk43 cam but that would require you to get 1.4s, although 1.25 oversized rockers can work well also.

A .060 DH would yield you a 9.4, if your stroke/bore is accurate. Not a large increase in CR to worry about imo. A much more snappier and cooler running engine with a tighter deck. I think that engine would be very fun in the sand and street. Just my opinion.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

A CR of 9.0 and up doesn't seem so "turbo ready" to me.
cwdaniel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

Doh! typos corrected and 1.25 rocker info added

jfats808 wrote:
cwdaniel wrote:
1st the engine details: 2275/76, 92mm bore, 82mm stroke, .08 deck shims around 9:1 compression with 55cc CB 32/47.5 heads, Engle TCS10 Cam, Dual IDF 44’s I built this several years ago for use in a sandrail. The thinking was it would get a turbo eventually, but never got around to it. It runs strong as is.

Possible?

Ok an 82x92 is a 2180. No big deal. Maybe you have 94s and its a 2276. I think you also had a bit of dyslexia and swapped the 3 and 4 on your heads to give you 42 x 37.5s. The deck height is a little bit large, doable but Id opt and try to tighten it up a bit if possible. I like the fk43 cam but that would require you to get 1.4s, although 1.25 oversized rockers can work well also.

A .060 DH would yield you a 9.4, if your stroke/bore is accurate. Not a large increase in CR to worry about imo. A much more snappier and cooler running engine with a tighter deck. I think that engine would be very fun in the sand and street. Just my opinion.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

.035~.040" deck, add shims or change pistons when turbo finds it's way home,I dont have a clue what a ts 10 cam is so...
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:

x2 unless you plan to run high octane fuel or give it hardly any boost.

If you plan to go turbo later then drop the compression to 8:1 and put a CB 2241 or 2242, both are decent turbo cams, 1.25 rockers will work with them too. An engine of that size should have plenty of low end power, maybe its the 112 LC on the TCS cam?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

vugbug68 wrote:
ps2375 wrote:

x2 unless you plan to run high octane fuel or give it hardly any boost.

or run squishies
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

Carbs or turbo, build it now the way it will stay. If you want a turbo jump in and get it now. Don't ever half ass an engine thinking you'll settle for less now and MAYBE get a chance to upgrade it later. Most times later never happens.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

Well said. Generally N/A or F/I builds are different directions on major components.
deadkombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with an W120 if your not buying a turbo yet. Then you can still use your 1.25 rockers and add turbo and drop compression later if you decide.
cwdaniel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

Okay let me add some more info. The engine specs followed the advice of a “VW turbo savvy” friend. Checking back into the archives I see that the heads are actually 60cc. And the .08 shims were originally .09. I think that got changed during a top end rework because they were available and the compression bump wasn’t much.

I’m seeing the build it to suit it camp chime in. I get it, and may just elect to build to the naturally aspirated side.

I also see some good input for maintaining the more “versatile” configuration.

One thing that I’m not familiar with is the use of the deck shims to change “throttle response”? So cutting the deck shim down adds low end? “snappyness”? Would adding head volume for a more turbo friendly compression ratio cancel the improvement from a thinner shim?

I’m trying not to dump another bushel of cash into this unexpected repair, so still no turbo at this point. I have to get new heads and a cam, the rest I have spares available.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

Shims effectively do the same thing as "head volume", the "snappiness" comes from a higher CR. So, CR is changed by more cc's in the head or in a larger deck height(thicker cylinder shims).

I think you'll be happier if you build motor for one or the other induction. A compromised build will lead to compromised performance.
cwdaniel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

Thought processes are leading to build it back to a focus on naturally aspirated. Been given some other advice on how to do that.

CB Panchito heads CC'd to get to a 9.5 CR combined with a Engle W120 cam.

All else remains the same.

Opinions?
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

Deck shims do not equal Deck Height. There have been many post in this thread and on this site for what DH to target.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

CNC Panchitos, 10:1 and a Web 86B. No more then .050" deck height, and make sure the manifolds are ported all the way up, not just match ported.

You didn't mention what you have for exhaust, but a merged 1 5/8" would be needed.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cwdaniel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

Exhaust is something like this. 1-5/8 OD tubes.

http://www.jbugs.com/product/3753.html

Brian_e wrote:
CNC Panchitos, 10:1 and a Web 86B. No more then .050" deck height, and make sure the manifolds are ported all the way up, not just match ported.

You didn't mention what you have for exhaust, but a merged 1 5/8" would be needed.

Brian
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

hmm I want to have a turbo but dont have it yet so Ill build a turd and in ten years or so add the turbo......like davy said build it for what it is now. then build the turbo motor for swap out when you need it.
cwdaniel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
hmm I want to have a turbo but dont have it yet so Ill build a turd and in ten years or so add the turbo......like davy said build it for what it is now. then build the turbo motor for swap out when you need it.

Maybe you scrolled past my last post:

.......CB Panchito heads CC'd to get to a 9.5 CR combined with a Engle W120 cam............

Any constructive comment to offer on that combo?
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

cwdaniel wrote:

One thing that I’m not familiar with is the use of the deck shims to change “throttle response”? So cutting the deck shim down adds low end? “snappyness”? Would adding head volume for a more turbo friendly compression ratio cancel the improvement from a thinner shim?

The best way to lower compression is with more head CC's, keeping the deck tight (.050") will put more of the explosion in the chamber which makes everything better.

Another thing to consider is EFI, I've done my homework for a turbo build and I wouldn't do it without going to fuel injection, unless it wont be seeing much street driving.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Considering changing cams and looking for input. Reply with quote

cwdaniel wrote:

.......CB Panchito heads CC'd to get to a 9.5 CR combined with a Engle W120 cam............

Any constructive comment to offer on that combo?

Will pull hard down low but probably not like to rev past 5k

My friends 1968cc (92x74) has the Panchito heads, similar cam and compression 44IDF's and 1-1/2" sidewinder that revs like butter.

I'd do bigger heads and cam for a 2276
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: