Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overused quotes (the quote button) / content / Site Rules
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Overused quotes (the quote button) / content / Site Rules Reply with quote

Everett,
People hit the quote button a lot, even to reply to the current post... instead of just simply replying. I try not to be guilty.

Many times a member will want to reference a certain aspect of a post, quote it... and leave a lot of suplerfluous info in the quote without editing for relevant content.

Both cases are space hogs and add nothing.

Site Rules on Forum Etiquette says:
DON'T abuse the quote button; include only as much as is necessary for context. This includes pictures

In my opinion... a PM needs to get sent to every member reiterating this... and Forum Moderators need "step it up" on thier commitment to fulfilling their Moderator duties/contacting-advising members about the rules and/or more Moderator commenting in threads.

I get not wanting a major "Big Brother" effect... but I think some things could be reigned in a bit.

Or, do you encourage more use of the "Report" button?... since this type of issue is mentioned under reporting guidelines

Anybody agree/disagree?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Overused quotes (the quote button) / content / Site Rules Reply with quote

easy e wrote:

agree?
yes

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Overused quotes (the quote button) / content / Site Rules Reply with quote

Damn... way to start it off Uli... that was a truly exemplary use of the quote button and selective editing for relevance. Applause
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Overused quotes (the quote button) / content / Site Rules Reply with quote

You can report stuff but I would need some examples.
Post a link to an example of what you mean and I can provide direct feedback
Or go report it if you don't want to post to anyone in particular.

A lot of people don't understand how to trim things down and often mess up the quoting altogether trying to do that so it's not quoted right - I often have to fix those kinds of posts. This may be a concern.

General rule I follow:
If it's text I don't typically edit things unless someone quoted some huge block of text. Example: A long story.

If someone quoted a big set of photos for no reason other than to say "Cool" or similar, I will often remove all the quoted photos.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Overused quotes (the quote button) / content / Site Rules Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8333733#8333733
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Overused quotes (the quote button) / content / Site Rules Reply with quote

Yep, that sort of thing happens WAY too much on these forums. Wearing out my damn scroll wheel, it is.
How about a paragraph in the FAQ's about how to "manually" quote something, i.e., by actually typing the (extremely simple)
BBCode and pasting the (previously copied) RELEVANT content. Also, how to edit what appears when the quote-button is used.

Can the user privilege of using the quote button be removed temporarily? That would be a good response to stuff like ^^^ that.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Overused quotes (the quote button) / content / Site Rules Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8333733#8333733

I cleaned that one up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Overused quotes (the quote button) / content / Site Rules Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Yep, that sort of thing happens WAY too much on these forums. Wearing out my damn scroll wheel, it is.
How about a paragraph in the FAQ's about how to "manually" quote something, i.e., by actually typing the (extremely simple)
BBCode and pasting the (previously copied) RELEVANT content. Also, how to edit what appears when the quote-button is used.

An example of editing after hitting quote could be helpful, I will think about that.

kreemoweet wrote:
Can the user privilege of using the quote button be removed temporarily? That would be a good response to stuff like ^^^ that.

This sort of "punishment" is not a solution
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: