Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Huge favor needed
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

I'm seriously thinking about a Ghia, but before I go much farther, I think I need to know if I will even fit in one.
I'm 6'4" and around 200 lb.

Here's the question.
I live in Northwest Indiana and I was wondering if anyone with a Ghia on here might be close and if they would just let me sit in it, to kind of "try it on".

Kind of an odd request, but I've been all fired up about other cars and the come to find out they are just too small.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

Hi, I am about your height and you will fit in one, but there is definitely an art to getting in. If you are tall, you cant just sit down and swing your legs in like a normal car - you need to get your legs in under the steering wheel before you sit down fully. Hard to describe but you will know what I mean when you try. Once you are in the room is enough while you are driving, but I am replacing my floor pans and have moved the seat rails back 2" to give more space.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

I am 6' 2", 200

It will be tight with stock seats.

I swapped out the stock seats for the Scat seats which allow much more travel. I can move my seat so the back of the front seat is against the front of the back seat. This has made a significant difference in my comfort when driving.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

I'm 6' 1 and about 210 and I fit fine, I have headroom, and love the feel of a Ghia. If you can ever get over to the St. Louis area, you can tour my 7-car garage and sit in my stock '70 K. Ghia. Surely someone in NW Indiana or maybe the burbs of Chicago has one you can sit in for a trial fit!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

Even if you are average height Ghia's are a chore to sit down in, especially if its lowered. Crying or Very sad Once in its all good...til its time to climb out Crying or Very sad
Worth the effort. Very Happy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Volfandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

I find getting out to be much harder than getting in. I'm 6' and 225 and not nearly as flexible as I used to be.

Once in it's not bad once I get my left foot placement set.

I've often pondered how nice a swivel seat would be LOL.
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

I'm exactly 6'4 and 200lbs and I found my '63 Ghia to be really uncomfortable before I installed an additional set of seat stops further back on the seat rails. I had the back of my front seat about an inch or so from the back seat.

To be completely honest, one of the reasons I sold mine eventually was that I just really didn't fit all that well. It was fine for short drives and for taking to shows and things, but if I were going to put any serious mileage on a car, it wouldn't be a Ghia.

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

That's why I would like to at least sit in one.

My brother has a 03 Boxster and I CAN drive it, but I can't move my legs, I drove it just bending my ankles to work the pedals and since my knees are in the way, my hands work the steering wheel from 10:00 to 2:00. Not to mention bending over to see out the windshield.

After about 1/2 hour in the car, it took me a few days for my back to recover.

I wouldn't have a Boxster if you gave it to me!

Hopefully a Ghia isn't as bad, and you can move/modify the seat to go back farther.

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

6' 2" 250lb no problems in a 71 Ghia hardtop.
Been driving it for 13yrs as my Daily

No problems fitting.
still have 3-4" above my head.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

I'd say getting out will be your biggest problem. I'm only 5'8" so I fit nicely. Mines only lowered a hair but damn it's a chore to get out.

Last edited by motorhead364 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:28 am; edited 2 times in total
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

My wife has a Boxster, and I have a Karmann Ghia.
Between the two I'd say that the Boxster is by far the more comfortable of the two for me, but then I'm just a mere 5' 9" tall.

As others have already pointed out, however, the good news regarding the Karmann Ghia is that you can easily change out the seats or modify the seat mounting so that you can give yourself ample legroom.

I'm in the Chicago suburbs which probably isn't too far from you, but sadly my Karmann Ghia is presently buried under a pile of useless crap in my garage hoard. Sad
That would make your trying my Ghia on for size not only rather difficult for you, but also terribly embarrasing for me.

If, however, you don't have any other luck finding a Ghia to sit in and you have absolutely no other options ... and you are feeling both brave and non-judgemental ... then I could probably be talked into clearing a path in the garage sufficient to make a trial fit happen.

I think your best bet, though, would be to try contacting the local VW clubs in the area to see if someone has a more readily available Karmann Ghia closer to you.
The primary one in this area is the Northern Illinois Volkswagen Association, but I'm sure that Google could probably find a VW club even closer to you.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

I had an old friend stop by awhile ago, had a few beers in the garage and he hopped in the Ghia..I've got Passat seats in mine,all the way back, and cranked all the way down, He said "oh yeah I could drive this"
He's 6'4" and well over 200 lbs..Big dude, like football linebacker big.
His only concern was the stock steering wheel, it was sitting on his legs
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

If you get a vert, you can get in using a running jump from the rear.

Last edited by scottyrocks on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
If you get a vert, you can in using a running jump from the rear.

A good point, well sort of... I've noticed people are tall in different ways. Some have long legs and others have long backs. There'd be different "fit" issues depending on the proportions of the individual.

I'm 6'1" and I find getting into a cabriolet with the roof down much easier than when the roof is up. There's no problem with head clearance

For a long backed person a cabriolet might be a solution... until it rains.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by sputnick60 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

delete
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

My car is laid out so I just lay on the ground and barrel roll into it.

You may need to get seats that move back farther.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
bt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

I'm on the Southside, kinda close to Hammond IN(off 94). My 71'vert has custom seats. I'm 6' 210 lb. With the top up I would be slightly uncomfortable on long drives, as I have gotten way too used to modern cars. I don't think you would fit all that well.
I see you've owned Bugs, their seating position is more upright than a Ghia.

If you want to do a test fit, we might be able to work out something. Look in my gallery to see pics of my car.

PS
Sorry, I'm vain and petty. I'm actually 5'11 220 lb.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

Why not go look at a car to buy ? Look here on the samba or even Craigslist in your area. Try one on for size.

Wish I could remember who said it in this forum, but he said: "getting in and out of a Ghia is like climbing in and out of a basement window"

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
Why not go look at a car to buy ? Look here on the samba or even Craigslist in your area. Try one on for size.

Wish I could remember who said it in this forum, but he said: "getting in and out of a Ghia is like climbing in and out of a basement window"

that is what my 924 was like.
1 open door
2 face away from car.
3 bend at the waist.
4 allow yourself to fall in backwards.

Its like rolling backwards off a boat as a diver.

My 914 is kinda like walking up to your coffee table, and getting inside it.
Plenty of room once you get there.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

I'm 6'6" 270, I had to install Saturn seats (great fit and you don't hurt the existing tracks) to get the seat far enough back and a lower than stock. Good for about 2 hours of driving, then a 15 minute stretch break is in order. I can get in and drive stock seats but its agony after 30 minutes. I sort of have to fall out of the vehicle to exit and put a hand on the rocker panel to get myself upright.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: