Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Huge favor needed
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

bt wrote:
I'm on the Southside, kinda close to Hammond IN(off 94). My 71'vert has custom seats. I'm 6' 210 lb. With the top up I would be slightly uncomfortable on long drives, as I have gotten way too used to modern cars. I don't think you would fit all that well.
I see you've owned Bugs, their seating position is more upright than a Ghia.

If you want to do a test fit, we might be able to work out something. Look in my gallery to see pics of my car.

PS
Sorry, I'm vain and petty. I'm actually 5'11 220 lb.

Thanks for the offer, but I guess I should have asked about a coupe, headroom and all, y'know. Might be hard to judge by the seats you have, too.

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
Why not go look at a car to buy ? Look here on the samba or even Craigslist in your area. Try one on for size.

Wish I could remember who said it in this forum, but he said: "getting in and out of a Ghia is like climbing in and out of a basement window"

There are a few for sale around here but a lot more than I want to spend (I'm cheap, want a project) and I don't think it would be right to "lead somebody on" thinking I might buy their car when I know I wont.

And the ones in my price range are several hundred miles away. Which is fine if I'm set to buy, but WAY too far to travel just to find out I don't fit.

Which leads to another thing. If I fit OK, I will probably look for a southwest car to avoid the rust issues around here.

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

Danpa wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:
Why not go look at a car to buy ? Look here on the samba or even Craigslist in your area. Try one on for size.

Wish I could remember who said it in this forum, but he said: "getting in and out of a Ghia is like climbing in and out of a basement window"

There are a few for sale around here but a lot more than I want to spend (I'm cheap, want a project) and I don't think it would be right to "lead somebody on" thinking I might buy their car when I know I wont.

And the ones in my price range are several hundred miles away. Which is fine if I'm set to buy, but WAY too far to travel just to find out I don't fit.

Which leads to another thing. If I fit OK, I will probably look for a southwest car to avoid the rust issues around here.

Dan

Then don't lead them on. Explain via email or text what you are doing. Some may not want the hassle, but others may be willing to talk to you aboout ownership, and give you a personal walk around of the car, and give you the opportunity to try it on for size.

Rob
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

^^^ X2!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Rocketmonkey81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

I'm 6'3 about 270. The engine in the back makes for better leg room than you would expect, I have a 15" steering wheel (for more knee room) and Procar seats, that makes a huge difference from stock for comfort. Though I could still fit when stock. BTW as others have stated getting in and out of a car that low is a bit of a chore but getting in and out of any low car when you are a tall person is, new or old.
jeromevw312
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

I am 6'2" 200+ pounds. My old ghia had freshly restored seats, new padding, etc. Honestly, i hated it.
As mentioned earlier, different people are tall in different ways. I am all torso, with short legs. My wife is 5'10" but all legs😃 and I actually have to move the seat foward after she drives any of our vehicles.

That said, I had a set of Recaro's out of an A2 GTI 16v that I put in the ghia and it was amazing, completely changed the car. I took a set of junk yard ghia seat and cut the bottom of the seat frame and tracks and then fit and welded to the bottom of the Recaro's as far back and low as I could.

Sadly the car was wrecked, but those Recaro's are still in my parents basement for my next ghia someday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

Well I was able to "try on" a Ghia today, and although I could probably reach every nook and cranny of the entire interior while seated in the drivers seat, I actually fit pretty good. Very Happy
It's a 64 with stock seats and I have plenty of leg room and about 2-3 inches of head room. Also, there is enough room to move the seat rails back about another 4 inches or so if need be.

Thanks Trent!!

The search is on....

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
RubberDuck65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge favor needed Reply with quote

I'm 6'6" at 270lbs. It's a art to get in with a stock steering wheel and original seat location. When I replaced the floor boards, I relocated the seat rails back a few inches. I just have a little bit of knee rub when I get in. If I had a smaller aftermarket steering wheel it would be even easier. I just like the look of my stock 65 wheel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: