Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2276/86b beetle daily
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

Hi You may want to check on this but I don't think the Scat Lifters are compatible with an EP12 Cam blank, with scat lifters you should be using the harder SC1 Scat billet.

Cheers Darren,
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

65-66cc on my intake ports...

What do you think?
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

Hi Darren,
I checked with Web, they heat treat after they've ground their profile so they recommend the Scat lifters with both their EP12 and SC1 cams Smile

Luke
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
65-66cc on my intake ports...

What do you think?

Just my opinion here.
Volume is close, maybe even a bit small for the valve size. It looks like the cross sectional area at the intake flange is quite a bit larger then the cross section in the port right where the guide protrudes from the head. The intake tract should be a nice smooth funnel shape, from the base of the carb to the valve seat. Large changes in cross section kill airspeed. It looks like someone tried to do the porting without removing the guides? From what I have learned on my flowbench and from building and running lots of heads, the most gains in the port are hidden behind the guide.

Do you know if there are any flowbench's near you? With a 42mm intake, and a small port volume I would want to see at least 175+cfm @28" and .550" lift with the manifold on. I just flowed a set of Tims S2's and they were 182cfm @ .525" and a 71cc port volume. I had a bunch of time into the manifolds.

What do the inside of the manifolds look like? Can you pull an intake valve and get a pic of the valve bowl?

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

Hi Brian

I would say you are bang on... Looking at the bowls I would say it has just been opened up by the intake flange

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, the manifold... Been adjusted maybe 1" up.

Some work to do here then!

Here is a Tims stage 2 head I found online for comparison, difficult to really tell what it looks like behind the guide but it sure looks cleaner than mine Very Happy

Luke

Last edited by UK Luke 72 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

CCd the ports with a 10ml medicine syringe from when I was on Oramorph... Not ideal but my Granddads burette has the markings rubbed off so I probably ought to invest in a replacement...
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
I just flowed a set of Tims S2's and they were 182cfm @ .525" and a 71cc port volume.
Brian

Was this @28"?
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Hi Brian

Luke

This picture shows it really well. I bet that cross section isn't much bigger then a stock 041 port right at the end of the guide.

The engines cylinder filling ability is largely based on the minimal cross section of any spot in the intake tract. Measure the diameter with an inside divider right at the smallest point and then use this calculator.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/chokepoint.php It will tell you loosely what your engine will be able to rev too.

You could get some silicone and do a mold of the port if you want to get really fancy. Then you can slice the mold into thin sections and measure the area of each section. I have a set of CB Wedgeports at home. I will try to get a pic from the same angle as your picture to show the difference.

Not sure how deep you want to get into these heads, but they can certainly be cleaned up. At least you still have some material there to work with. The guides would of course need to come out. The worst part of that is getting them back in and keeping the spring bosses still in one piece. With the flange shape you have now, and the volume you have to work with, you might be able to transform them into something similar to a set of CB Mini-wedgeports.

Manifolds will need some work as well.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Brian_e wrote:
I just flowed a set of Tims S2's and they were 182cfm @ .525" and a 71cc port volume.
Brian

Was this @28"?

Yes. And it was an older set built on Mexican 043 castings.

Brian
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

Thanks Brian, I'll get some measurements.
I'm all for cleaning up and doing the necessary but I really don't want to have to take the guides out. Every guide I've changed before has been stressful but luckily I've still not broken anything... But wouldn't want to do it to anything other than a stock head.
There seems to he a good amount of meat supporting the guide which I guess is no bad thing, just how.much can be gained with what I have?

Yeah I picture would be great Smile

Luke
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

Here is another set of AA 40x35's I had under the bench here at work. I did quite a bit of work to them. They are in no way perfect, but I have gotten pretty good numbers out of them, and the last set I did just like them ran really good on a 2087cc w/FK7 and 40 IDF's.
Some of the numbers I had written on them are 172cfm, .475" @28" w/man. 66cc port volume. These are a 40mm intake valve. I dont want to start a my port Vs. your port pissing match, but here are some pics next to each other to see the differences.

Here is AA 40x35

Your 050 42x37

It really doesn't look like much from this angle, but you can see the difference in area across the top and to the right of the guide. The camera makes it real hard to see the difference to the left between the wall and the guide. My short side radius has been straightened out more, and my flange is way smaller. Again, I am not trying to say mine are top dog shizznit perfect, cause I know they aren't. I do know the numbers are WAY better then the as cast ports they came with, and they sure run good compared to a non ported head. Your heads will work fine, and they will probably run OK, but from where I am sitting, it looks like they need more work to "fix" them and dial them in to make a kick ass set of heads. To bad you weren't over here. I would love to get yours on the bench and poke around with the pitot tube see what they do. Those heads and valve size should be able to do 180+cfm with some work and a good manifold.

These are showing both flange shots.

I will get some pics tonight of the wedgports. They are crazy huge, but they start with the big 044 castings.

Brian
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

It looks like the 60 cut is over 1/8 wide on the mofos.
Put a 75 degree cutter in there, narrow the 60 to .080, wide, huge improvement garanteed. If the 75 is over 80 wide narrow it by enlarging throat diameter freehand about 83-90 degrees.
Don't have a way to do that? I could do it all freehand but...your results may vary Shocked
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

modok wrote:
It looks like the 60 cut is over 1/8 wide on the mofos.
Put a 75 degree cutter in there, narrow the 60 to .080, wide, huge improvement garanteed. If the 75 is over 80 wide narrow it by enlarging throat diameter freehand about 83-90 degrees.
Don't have a way to do that? I could do it all freehand but...your results may vary Shocked

I also thought the bottom cut was super wide. I too free hand the steep angles with a 1/2"X1/2" sanding drum on a fast dremel.

If you are planning to go in there and remove some port material, wait till you are 100% done, and then go get a real 3angle cut done on all the seats. Carefully blend your last 75 with the dremel.

Brian
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

Thanks guys, those pictures kinda say it all...
How much will I be able to fix without removing the guides though? Happy to get the grinder out Very Happy but that being said the 1835cc engine does need to take priority over this one.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

At this point I think it would be REALLY interesting to know the I.D of the valve seats. Both in and out. Then it is easiel to determine what is best to do to make them better. IMHO the deep undercut as such is not necessarily a "problem" but it should have been "blended" into the seat much nicer.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

I'll take some measurements when I finish work
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

Here are some pics of a CB Wedgeport. I am in NO WAY saying this is what you should do to your heads. Full size wedgeports are giant. Like a 80+cc intake port. They do flow 200+cfm, but they require big displacement and a big cam to make use of the huge intake volume. Big CFM numbers only tell a small amount of the heads potential. I dont think the 050 casting has enough material to go that large.
These are a 44mm seat that has not been cut yet.

Again...Don't do this do your heads!! I just posted these pics as kind of a exaggerated example of what a fully ported intake looks like. Consistent cross section, with material removed in only the correct locations. There are probably more areas in the port that should be left alone than removed.

Without removing the guides you are gonna have a hell of a time getting in there. With about 3 different shaped cutters you might be able to reach most of the spots, but you will have a rather choppy and uneven surface. That short side corner is a bad place to not have a nice smooth radius.

As usual, I agree with Torbin. Measure the ID of the seat and figure how big the throat of the port is right now. Then you can do some calculations and make a plan for the rest of the port. Hopefully the flange isn't too far opened up. A correct mini-wedge shaped port and a really good valve job would probably suit your engine quiet well.

Brian
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

Since we are both using the Mofoco 050 Casting to start with, I took a picture of the intake area under the valve, showing the around the valve guide. These are 42mm intake valves, and 70cc intake ports after port work.

Yours can be improved some without taking the guides out, but its so dang tight in there you better have some serious dentist skillz my brotha!

If I was you, I would think carefully about "The Big Picture".

Removing the guides, making some improvements, will this make your engine take a back seat for a year? 2 years? Be realistic, and if it does, screw it and run it as is. Don't deprive yourself of a 2276 for 1-2 years to gain 5-10 horsepower. Life's to short.

[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

Wow Brian, thanks again for the pics.. Yeah I don't want to copy that but it proves a point, Im lucky really that the previous port work only reshaped the flange and did no work deep down.
I've not ignored what you and Glenn said about the valve seat... I'm just saving that bit for later Very Happy

Jeff, I'm surprised all of the meat around the valve guide has gone and yet only 5cc more than my ports... I certainly won't be able to replicate that standard of work though with tools/skill/experience though so I think the 2 options I have are to either clean up what I have with the guides in place and a sanding drum or see who is about in the UK to help me out.

Sorry about not managing to get measurements last night, we had a turbine trip at work and it all got a bit chaotic...
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2276/86b beetle daily Reply with quote

Valve seat ID. 36.27mm
End of the guide to port wall. 14.9mm
Guide boss to port wall 17.2mm

Calculated choke point 1063rpm... Based on the calculated CSA around the end of the guide... Which isn't particularly indicative of much seeing as I can't measure the true CSA including the area behind the guide.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 27

Jump to: