Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Found in Russia (oldest WW2 KdF)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Found in Russia (oldest WW2 KdF) Reply with quote

Hi there!
All you do here is almost 200 pages of discussion VW38 found in Lithuania, but I tell you about Russia's oldest beetles, who were brought here as trophies after the Second World War.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Saturday, about 50 km from Moscow to the north, we meet, are in a roundabout way, and that's coveted shed. The fact that the gates were not opened for fifteen years, that's for sure, all overgrown, and before opening the shutters had shovels otkidat ground that caused during this time. The fact that my father and I saw inside mildly shocked, I've seen it on the pictures in the books, but even live in the museum there. Of course, the VW is already patted the time change and the post-war Soviet drivers, wire-brakes have been replaced by the hydraulics from the Soviet car "Moskwitch", with on together with drums and wheels. Seats were not home, no bumpers, probably not native rear fenders and the engine completely untouched. As usual, according to legend, the Beetle owned some there German big boss (like Koch), then it was in the Soviet Union brought the personal adjutant Marshal Zhukov, then he is still several years stood in the courtyard in the Moscow`s Taganka district, then he bought Max and fifteen cars were in custody, stripped for painting and smeared for working off anticorrosive. Now the cost of how much I paid for it know the one, the rest save up nerves, if without figures is very small, too small, a person simply did not need this machine and the true value of it was not interested, he took as much as paid for it when purchase, for which I am very grateful to him. State rooms have been lost, the old passport book and what is the receipt from the owner with his old passport data and the address of residence, for which it eventually found (he was very surprised, and then touched his car still alive). Clings to the car and go home, that I now can give yourself a report which I had at that moment, and then it was happiness that we have at the club is now the oldest Beetle in Russia. Unfortunately this story with a sad end to the crisis had to part with him that would "preserve assets", now it rusts in Ryazan one "crazy-one collectioner". Maybe with time his world and see again and it will be another miracle. At the moment, the numbers we found out that the body 1943 and the motor 1944 and from Schwimmwagen (Type-166 floating). The Germans have an interest in it but people like granite counters, not the people themselves do not let it cost to eat and does not ask, here are the basic principles of the provincial "collector".
P.S. The rear window has to be with the bar, it was cut off for a better rear view as I said russian after-war drivers Wink

Also known are two of the oldest Beetle in Kazan.
One of them, Its VW KdF typ 82E 1943, In USSR from 1945.

Yes, many of the elements of the car went through a modernization of "import substitution"

Second KdF from Kiev, Ukraine.
Its number 47 KdF 1942.

He is now in the process of slow restoration.

Last edited by antonb on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

What an amazing story. For years we've heard stories about Russians heading home after WW2 with old Beetles/Kafers as war booty, and now we have even more proof! How many more to come?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
What an amazing story. For years we've heard stories about Russians heading home after WW2 with old Beetles/Kafers as war booty, and now we have even more proof! How many more to come?

about 150 Kafers (diff. years) "on wheels", how much take roots in the ground - I do know...
about 4-5 KdF (in diff. states, in restoration)
about 15 Schwimm/Kubelwagens.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

When you say 150 Kafers, all years, up to what year are you talking about? Split back window Kafers up to 1953?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
When you say 150 Kafers, all years, up to what year are you talking about? Split back window Kafers up to 1953?

We have newest Kafers, but about oldest models:
Ovals about 20
Bretzels about 10

More of bugs were brought Soviet troops from East Germany, when the "Western Group" of the Soviet troops left Berlin and the surrounding area, while a large number of 60-70's cheapest car (at a price of scrap metal, or even free of charge). Very much has been taken out at the time T2, because they put a lot of things, but the soldiers and their families were taken Japanese TVs, VCRs, and other rare in the Soviet Union stuffs.
The Germans called our soldiers - nurses landfills =)
A very old VW war years (1940), of course trophies or abandoned / found in forests, swamps ... If you go with metal finder, every meter of land produces a metallic sound.
You can see how our searchers find echoes of World War II.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_XcL8d1lFZAlgTvDMK4leQ
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

What I have never been able to understand, even allowing for the lawlessness of the time, is how a Russian soldier could grab a car and drive it home as a trophy. I can't imagine any British or American soldier being able to do this, especially as it's more than a drive to get home!

Possibily acquiring the car was the easy bit, if you found one, but if a Russian soldier, or serviceman, were to do this, wouldn't their Army miss them? Maybe not? Wouldn't other Russians in occupation try and take it from you?

From Germany to any part of Russia is still a long way to drive. Where would the fuel (Petrol/Gas) come from, especially as there wasn't much around at the time to be had? You mention Marshal Zhukov & I can imagine that somebody of his rank would have had them put on the back of a train. I don't fully understand what you say, but I think he brought back at least one of these cars, and I'm sure he didn't drive it!

If only these cars could talk, what a story they could tell.
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
What I have never been able to understand, even allowing for the lawlessness of the time, is how a Russian soldier could grab a car and drive it home as a trophy. I can't imagine any British or American soldier being able to do this, especially as it's more than a drive to get home!

Possibily acquiring the car was the easy bit, if you found one, but if a Russian soldier, or serviceman, were to do this, wouldn't their Army miss them? Maybe not? Wouldn't other Russians in occupation try and take it from you?

From Germany to any part of Russia is still a long way to drive. Where would the fuel (Petrol/Gas) come from, especially as there wasn't much around at the time to be had? You mention Marshal Zhukov & I can imagine that somebody of his rank would have had them put on the back of a train. I don't fully understand what you say, but I think he brought back at least one of these cars, and I'm sure he didn't drive it!

If only these cars could talk, what a story they could tell.

We WON/KILLED the root of fascism!
We did not get only cars, but we get also factories/technologies, were taken to our home.
There was no Saint, but to "drive" home. It is clear that private cars are able to enjoy great military commanders. But East Germany were exported technology, machinery, etc all that can be picked up.
Were killed in the war were 40 million Soviet people!
And there is not nothing to be forgiven! Take what you want!
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

Leafing through old photos of the Soviet era and admiring the cars of the past, can not help ask a question and then what happened to them? It is clear that many did not survive to the present day, and in the nineties, most of migrated abroad. For many rare vehicles have at least some records and information about their owners in retro clubs of the past, but about the "popular German cars" almost none of that. Beetle was a popular and affordable cars out there and look at it in the Soviet Union is not much to complain about "collectors." Mercedes, Horch, Maybach, BMW and the "Italian", the rest was not interesting, and not in the price, so what?
Is it possible to learn something somewhere to these old numbers where and who is now registered cars? Surely there are some files or databases.

About the Beetle that photo, I probably know for sure is the one who in the late nineties, buried in the ground in near Moscow There is a story recently heard it again from the "first" person so to speak. The new owners of suburban area did not know what to do with that old machine and do not come up with something better or how to fill it with debris and bury it at the same location. Above the grave empty track, many offered to exhume it but the owners were against. For a description of how this kind of photograph.
Continue to search the home of rare insects railway))

Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

I've been thinking for years about how lucky some Russian soldiers (according to folklore) must have been, to be able to lay claim to a KDF vehicle, and then somehow spirit it home. From what I now read, this seems highly unlightly. It seems that the reality was that high ranking individuals 'acguired' them, and then had them taken home on the train. Luckily, some of these cars survive today, and we can see the pictures above to show this.

These are some extracts from Wikipedia on Zhukov, which goes to show that what antonb says is correct:

1) After the German capitulation, Zhukov became the first commander of the Soviet Occupation Zone in Germany.

2) It seems he had a human streak: During May 1945, Zhukov signed three resolutions regarding the maintenance of an adequate standard of living for the German people living in the Soviet occupation zone:

Resolution 063 (11 May 1945): dealing with the provision of food for the people living in Berlin
Resolution 064 (12 May 1945): allowed for the restoration and maintenance of the normal activities of the public service sector of Berlin
Resolution 080 (31 May 1945): dealt with providing milk supplies for the children living in Berlin.

Zhukov requested the Soviet Government to transport urgently to Berlin 96,000 tons of grain, 60,000 tons of potatoes, 50,000 cattle, and thousands of tons of other foodstuffs, such as sugar and animal fat. He issued strict orders that his subordinates were to "Hate the Nazism but respect the German people", and to make all possible efforts to restore and maintain a stable living standard for the German population.

3) But he was keen on collecting goods & chattles: In 1946, seven rail carriages with furniture that Zhukov was taking to the Soviet Union from Germany were impounded. In 1948, his apartments and house in Moscow were searched and many valuables looted from Germany were found.[51] In his investigation Beria concluded that Zhukov had in his possessions 17 golden rings, three gemstones, the faces of 15 golden necklaces, more than 4,000 meters of cloth, 323 pieces of fur, 44 carpets taken from German palaces, 55 paintings and 20 guns".[52] Zhukov admitted in a memorandum to Zhdanov:
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

antonb wrote:
Is it possible to learn something somewhere to these old numbers where and who is now registered cars? Surely there are some files or databases.

Interesting - everything visible about this one - small windshield, split window, lack of fly windows, says pre-53, except the top mounted front turn signals.
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:

Interesting - everything visible about this one - small windshield, split window, lack of fly windows, says pre-53, except the top mounted front turn signals.

Crotch cooler, so 51/52.
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

Who owns the red KDF car in the pics now with the barrel gas tank? Is it for sale?? Had to ask. Tim
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

vintage fiberglass wrote:
Who owns the red KDF car in the pics now with the barrel gas tank? Is it for sale?? Had to ask. Tim

Some guy from Ryazan city, He is crazy collectioner, He has a lot of Bugs in very rusty state and has not money for restoration... and he does not want to sell their cars at any price...
there are people unfortunately "not for himself - not for people"
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
I've been thinking for years about how lucky some Russian soldiers (according to folklore) must have been, to be able to lay claim to a KDF vehicle, and then somehow spirit it home. From what I now read, this seems highly unlightly. It seems that the reality was that high ranking individuals 'acguired' them, and then had them taken home on the train. Luckily, some of these cars survive today, and we can see the pictures above to show this.

German soldiers purified our homes, raped women, no one had the honor to do the opposite. All we exported whole trains from East Germany after the surrender. ... And about Marshal Zhukov information is not interesting, it was a Brilliant Soldier, and the fact that there find some gold rings - is laughable.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
From Germany to any part of Russia is still a long way to drive.

Keep in mind that the pre-war border of Germany went much further east, and part of what was East Prussia is now part of Russia. Also, with the expansion of the Third Reich eastward, so went a handful of Volkswagen command cars to Russia. These closed cars would have been a luxury in Russia compared to the open Kubelwagens. It is exciting to see that some have survived.

Heinz Nordhoff
olo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

during WWII there were saints and sinners on both sides. I would be interested to find out how accurately the owners of these cool vws are aiming to restore them
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Martin Southwell wrote:
From Germany to any part of Russia is still a long way to drive.

Keep in mind that the pre-war border of Germany went much further east, and part of what was East Prussia is now part of Russia. Also, with the expansion of the Third Reich eastward, so went a handful of Volkswagen command cars to Russia. These closed cars would have been a luxury in Russia compared to the open Kubelwagens. It is exciting to see that some have survived.

I know, that is:

GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

that "closed" kubel is not a commanders' car, but a training vehicle for panzer drivers (the one in the colour pictures is a later repro, IIRC).

VW's closed sedans for commands' use were beetle-bodied, either with plain kubel runnning gear (typ 82E) or 4wd derived from the schwimmwagen (typ 87)
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
exotic plants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

antonb wrote:
"not for himself - not for people"

I have met people just like this. To bad for the vehicles.
Rear driver side fender.
Cash waiting.
------------------------------------------------------------
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Found in Russia (oldest KdF-Wagens) Reply with quote

Yes, we often hear that owners of cars such a these have restoration plans when in reality they are fishing for the right customer. The fact that these cars have survived means they will eventually land in the right hands, most likely much further to the west.

Heinz Nordhoff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: