Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finnish 1300 '70 back to road
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
webs123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

Hello to everybody!
I'm a proud owner of a 1970 1300 since the end of last year. My new bug has been in stand still atleast 11 years. I has been in one family tens of years. Previous owners have taken very good care of this one and exposure to road salt has been quite minimal due to lack of use.
The first owner had it 10 years. Every service stamped on the book. To my knowledge total mileage is around 90000. We hauled it nearly 200 miles away with my friends truck. I bought it only based on sale photos Surprised

I hope to get it through inspection to driving this spring and regain original historical 1970 reg plates back for the car. Maybe later next winter I get it painted. I have some bodywork to clear. Hatch edges, sparewheel well, front mud guard inner part. Brake cylinders I replaced all 4 of them. Now I'm doing bodywork in the front. In person I'm very new to aircooled VW so I'm learning all the time.

Good news is that the car is complete and most of the parts usable. Rust is amazingly minimal to be a beetle of this age. I don't have to replace any large sections of the body. Most of the rubber has to be replaced naturally. Engine has been done long time ago, but not driven much after that, only some thousands. It runs very nicely Smile
Some photos below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

Very nice, and only 90000 km!!

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
plotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the gas filter yet. Nice car and good luck.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

Remove the fuel filter away from the engine compartment
You ca n place it by the transmission and one more under the fuel tank.

Clean ride. Loving the seat covers Wink
webs123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

This was the way I bought it. The filter is clambed and is able to hold pressure 10x times original fuel pump can produce.
The bug is undergoing full service at the moment. Thanks anyway for the fuel filter concerns Laughing
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:

Those seat covers are amazing!
webs123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

Hatracks wrote:
joey1320 wrote:

Those seat covers are amazing!

Yeah, they are more than retro. That kind of covers were very popular here in Finland in the late 70' and early 80's. They did the job very well because original VW fabric under them seems to be in perfect condition Smile
webs123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

Something from this weekends stuff.

I shot the primer for the cleaned wheels.

Removed also the right front fender. One bolt snapped, one nutsert started turning, one came straight trough, one I had to cut with wheel Laughing The bumber bracket holder is a toast.

I use citric acid mixed to water removing rust from the loose parts. Citric acid one of weakest acids so it is not dangerous to healt. It is kind of natural product. When I remove some part that looks rusty I just drop it in.

Here are the first parts to come out of chemical rust removal. Citric acid softens the rust so that it can be brushed away with a steel brush.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

Excellent find!

Will you paint the wheels silver like they were originally from the factory?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

The car looks like a nice find.

You might try apple cider vinegar as a natural rust remover. Use it without diluting with water. I've had very good results.

The welding looks good, too.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

webs123 wrote:
This was the way I bought it. The filter is clambed and is able to hold pressure 10x times original fuel pump can produce.
The bug is undergoing full service at the moment. Thanks anyway for the fuel filter concerns Laughing

You are missing the point.

The issue is not the amount of pressure the filter can withstand - the issue is the extra weight helping to work the press-fit fuel inlet fitting loose from the carburetor. It has happened to many a VW.
webs123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Excellent find!

Will you paint the wheels silver like they were originally from the factory?

Thanks Smile
I'll paint them in older style factory look with semigloss black center and white outer part. I really like that look and it is not far from original.
Like this http://www.oldbug.com/reusser002.jpg

I have another set of wheels too with old winter tires that came with car.
Kind of funny, but this car doesn't have to see road salt and winter dirt anymore Laughing
webs123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
webs123 wrote:

You are missing the point.

The issue is not the amount of pressure the filter can withstand - the issue is the extra weight helping to work the press-fit fuel inlet fitting loose from the carburetor. It has happened to many a VW.

Ok. I got it now.
Like said I'm new to classic VW stuff.
webs123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

Starting bodywork in the front area.
I had to undo most of the previous repairs, not to mention about removing undercoating. Both in and outside had very thick coating. Small overpatching on the both corners and some larger in the sparewheel well. There are just too many layers for rust to find a way Sad
I ordered both front corner repair pieces and already have the bottom which I have to extend 1.5 inches because the old seam was that much higher.

I was a pain to get loose. 3 drill bits broke. The cutting wheel doesn't reach upright seams.

The upper part I leave as it is, only grind down the old welds.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

Be sure to wear a hat to keep from pulling your hair out Laughing .

Keep up the good work.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

Your wheel paint scheme will look very good. I did the same on my '70 Fastback, which originally also had silver wheels.

Your Beetle was built on Oct. 27, 1969. See that small tag to the left of the hood latch? The number 42 is for the calendar week. 1 is for the first workday of that week. You know it is in 1969 because the 1970 model year started in August and ended in late June 1970 (July was usually factory closed for product retooling for the next model year). Look up "perpetual calendar", 1969, and find the date of that code. Very Happy
webs123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Your wheel paint scheme will look very good. I did the same on my '70 Fastback, which originally also had silver wheels.

Your Beetle was built on Oct. 27, 1969. See that small tag to the left of the hood latch? The number 42 is for the calendar week. 1 is for the first workday of that week. You know it is in 1969 because the 1970 model year started in August and ended in late June 1970 (July was usually factory closed for product retooling for the next model year). Look up "perpetual calendar", 1969, and find the date of that code. Very Happy

Thank you so much for your input Rome Smile
I wasn't sure about the dates before. My car had a soft start because it was sold and registered first time early 1971.
I'm somewhat confused about paint color. It is L12D Shantung Gold Yellow, found a sticker lost in undercoating. That suppose to be unique color for 1971 only. I asked about paint by code in one shop, they had nothing on it.

I picked up replacement parts for corners, same order had rear bearing seal kit and engine room air hoses. That was very fast delivery by local aircooled.fi
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

I had a look at your local parts house's website.
That image on the home page of the Ghia rally car is sick. aircooled.fi
I browsed the engine parts listing(heads) on the site. Funny thing is that either you guy's are really into VW performance. Or those heads that are out of stock are special order.

Keep up the good work on your car.
Have a great weekend.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
webs123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

Work is getting on little bit slowlier.
Not been working on every evening. Now I have spend 1 month into project. Been repairing front apron and left front wing patching. I have replacement piece spare wheel well which I have to add a fabricated 2-way curved front piece. That is almost ready to weld on.
I was really pissed to see that my shield gas for MIG was empty. I thought I had about 100bar left. I takes 2-4 weeks to get refill. Luckily I have option to change process. I change to TIG with pure argon that I have left. Argon cannot be used MIG. From which I tested on the fender I'm able complete the work without the weeks of a downtime Laughing
webs123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish 1300 '70 back to road Reply with quote

Hello everyone if anybody is watching.
Done most of the welding by now. Had some nice weekends breathing that dust Laughing

Pics in some order by the dates.

Got little sidetracked with the wheels but happy now they are finished.

Now on with the body

I'm going to register and go inspection next month.
Most of the things to be done from now on are only looks, not so much technical or structural Smile That said I have to paint left front wing, suffered from the welding.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: