Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

Have any of you mounted small fog lights in your lower grille? I am thinking about doing this and would like some design ideas. If you could show some pictures and include the make / model of the lights you used, that might be helpful also. I am thinking about using round lenses with amber bulbs or lenses.

Thanks!
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

Round Hella foglights in SA lower grill (by Bernd Jaeger):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

Often fog lights are mounted too high up above the bumper.
Doing so defeats a lot of the benefits of a fog light, the low non reflecting light lighting up the road below the fog.

These lights innthe photos are NOT fog lights but I mounted them as DRL's.

If I were to mount fog lights they would be rectangular and below the bumper in a similar location.
Low mounted lights are indeed more prone to road damage but they work best down low.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

I will be installing LED fog/DRL's similar to Dave's <but> I will mount at the lower corners
within the fins of the lower grille. Materials are on hand but the work won't start until things
warm up in March or so...(we just finished a full week below zero here - uff da)... Rolling Eyes Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

Mounting them below the bumper or in the cutout of the spoiler works if you don't mind the loss in approach angle. So far it hasn't been a problem for my driving style.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

On my list of things I've thought about but will never get around to doing, it's crossed my mind that fog lights mounted in the (factory steel) bumper itself might look nice if done right. Á la Nissan Pathfinder:

-Rob
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

Mine are always on, I can't see a thing with the stock lights. I keep waiting for someone to make a modern, bright, square light.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

dyldebus wrote:

Mine are always on, I can't see a thing with the stock lights. I keep waiting for someone to make a modern, bright, square light.

There are a couple of threads on upgrading to Ecode lights that fit pretty neatly in the existing grille.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

Here are some little bitty ones:

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I think I have an idea of what I am going to do. I like the looks of Bernd Jaeger's set-up. Plus he's got a really kick-ass Viking-sounding name.....bonus. I ordered the driving lights today for the upper grille and the round 4" yellow fog lights for the lower grille. I'm also going to modify the parking light assembly, as I really hate the look of the rectangular wrap-around lenses. I will post picks when the project is complete.
kryptkat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
dyldebus wrote:

There are a couple of threads on upgrading to Ecode lights that fit pretty neatly in the existing grille.

The square Hella ECode headlamps are an AMAZING upgrade! My photo above shows them mounted.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

Bring it by the shop when you get it done, we have whiskey Wednesday every week. A bunch of us locals hangin out, we stop work around 4 and start drinking around 4:01

1319 N. College Ave.
Foco

Dai,
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Paulbeard wrote:
dyldebus wrote:

The square Hella ECode headlamps are an AMAZING upgrade! My photo above shows them mounted.

Dave

My photo as well. Highly recommended!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

Low and wide for fogs.

Above bumper and closer inward for aux. driving.

Anywhere for DRL's.
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

I just finished installing fogs with the factory brackets. Very happy with the beam pattern and aiming them at 25 feet per Hella's instructions. Any further outward mounting would have them protruding past the bumper.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

Choose your fog lamps wisely, read this article before you purchase and mount......

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

dart330 wrote:
I just finished installing fogs with the factory brackets.

That looks great, Dart. Where did you find factory brackets?

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Fog Lights In The Lower Grille? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
That looks great, Dart. Where did you find factory brackets?

Unfortunately, not directly available in the US.
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/electrical/lighting/t3-spot-fog-lamp-brackets-grp-bumpers.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: