Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
squagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

Looking at a bug. The owner thinks engine is 1500 or 1600. Engine # is as follows

VW symbol (regular, not recycle symbol) F (space) O4......

Samba charts say "F" means 1300. Other pages say it could easily be a 1300 turned into a 1500. Neither chart mentions whether the VW symbol means anything before the F and numbers

Please help!! Is it 1300, 1500, 1600????

Here's a photo

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

It's a early 1300 case probably one of the first 1966 model year cars sold in the US in the fall of 1965. From the looks of that generator stand I would say it has not been rebuilt in years but if it's still running then maybe. Otherwise it's still a 1300 only way to know is to take the engine out and take the heads off and measure the cylinder bore. Maybe it's stamped on top of the pistons.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

Has anyone figured out a scheme to use a fluid displacement setup screwed to the spark plug hole, turn the engine through a compression stroke, and measure cylinder swept volume directly? Of course you would have to mess with valve adjustment to eliminate overlap and such, but shouldn't it be workable? Anyone sell such a gizmo? Will it work on a boxer engine with our valve geometry?
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Has anyone figured out a scheme to use a fluid displacement setup screwed to the spark plug hole, turn the engine through a compression stroke, and measure cylinder swept volume directly? Of course you would have to mess with valve adjustment to eliminate overlap and such, but shouldn't it be workable? Anyone sell such a gizmo? Will it work on a boxer engine with our valve geometry?

Hi Phil. That's a good question. I recall back in the old days of the NHRA, the tech guys had a device called a "P&G", I believe, and its was used to measure the displacement in one cylinder for the classes that required a certain cubic inches per weight. Not sure if they are used anymore or what NHRA uses.

http://www.precisionmeasure.com/test1.htm
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

To the original poster, Hi and WELCOME.
The F case is in fact a 1300 series engine, USA delivery in 1966. But, this case as are the later 1500's were the basis during repairs to be upgraded to the popular 1600.
Why not entertain the idea of getting that engine to run and see where that takes you?
Hope this helps, Bill.
squagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
To the original poster, Hi and WELCOME.
The F case is in fact a 1300 series engine, USA delivery in 1966. But, this case as are the later 1500's were the basis during repairs to be upgraded to the popular 1600.
Why not entertain the idea of getting that engine to run and see where that takes you?
Hope this helps, Bill.

Thanks for the welcome and for the reply, Bill.
It wouldn't matter much to me if I had already purchased the car... but since it's still one I'm considering purchasing - I do want to determine the real engine displacement. If its a 1300 vs. a 15/1600, it changes the amount I'm willing to pay for the vehicle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

Good Idea about using a fluid to measure the cylinder volumes, All it would take is a fitting a hose and a lab beaker.

Oh, and remove the rocker arm before you crank the engine over with this stuff hooked up to a beaker full of oil.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

These methods will help you once you buy it, but probably won't inform your buying decision.

How does it affect your price offer? Are you specifically looking for an original 1300 engine?

As posted, back in the day, it was routine to machine the case for larger, 1500 or later 1600 cylinders, for a bit more power. later, these were more common and cheaper, making it a no-brainer upgrade (at least back then).
squagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
These methods will help you once you buy it, but probably won't inform your buying decision.

How does it affect your price offer? Are you specifically looking for an original 1300 engine?

As posted, back in the day, it was routine to machine the case for larger, 1500 or later 1600 cylinders, for a bit more power. later, these were more common and cheaper, making it a no-brainer upgrade (at least back then).

I'm not specifically looking for an original 1300. I've actually been looking for 1500 or 1600s. So, in that way, if the car is an original 1300 (still 1300 inside too), then I'm not willing to pay as much.
Problem is, the engine case # is pretty cut-and-dry proof (at least of the case's original size). I can't imagine what documentation/proof a seller could produce to really prove that its a 15 or 1600. Cracking the engine open and actually measuring displacement, as you pointed out, isn't going to happen as a pre-purchase inspection.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

There are some folks who specifically want an unmolested 1300 case for their '66 or later Euro model.

I suggest you don't let the engine size stand in your way. Once bought, if it's the 15/1600 you want, you are set. If it is still 1300 and runs, you can sell that motor (perhaps for a small premium) and then build the 1600 you want. Or just drive it! 1300s are a good low-speed torque motor, I hear.

Just a check... what carb is on it? If it is the original carb, with original jets, that is a good indicator it's still a 1300. Usually a larger carb or re-jetting is needed for the larger displacement. Also, you may be able to find a head part number by popping off a valve cover.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

Really, it doesn't matter just because it all pretty much scrap, The case is probably oxidized the studs pulled, the cylinders worn out the heads cracked. Without seeing an engine apart or driving it and it running strong there is not really much you can tell. The 1300 cases are given a bad rap on the samba but I have found them always rebuildable well the 1500 cases too for that matter. It's the 1600 dual port cases that are all hammered out on the main bearings. Probably because they rev better. Got driven 75 mph a lot.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

Unless it's a proven low mileage motor, you may have to rebuild it no matter what. Maybe the owner will pull a valve cover off and give you the number on the heads? If they are 1300, then it's possible it's an untouched 1300. Or it could have had the heads cut to accommodate 85.5 pistons and cylinders. If they are 1500/1600 heads its been rebuilt larger and could be the 1600 you seek. Either way, if you rebuild it, its cheaper just to buy new pistons and cylinders. If the heads are bigger you're already there, but buying new ones from what I understand is about the same as getting them rebuilt.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

Some questions that I haven't seen answered: What is the year of the car? Does the engine run? If not, have you done any tests that will help give an idea of the condition such as trying to turn the engine by hand, push-pulling on the crank pulley to check for excess play or looking at the condition of the oil on the dipstick?
squagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

h~moto wrote:
Some questions that I haven't seen answered: What is the year of the car? Does the engine run? If not, have you done any tests that will help give an idea of the condition such as trying to turn the engine by hand, push-pulling on the crank pulley to check for excess play or looking at the condition of the oil on the dipstick?

Sorry. The car is a 65. Owner says it's a rebuilt motor (rebuilt when, im not sure). It does run.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

The thing about the 1300's is that they ran just as good as the 1500 and 1600 single ports, With a header they really ran nice. I don't think the head studs pulled either. Nice thick cylinders! Smaller Valves, Better torque.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

h~moto wrote:

Good point. Checking end play should be as much of a concern as anything else.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

Hi. Then I would more concerned about the overall condition of the body/pan. Rust, collision damage, etc are deal breakers for most people. The engine/trans/front beam all unbolt so are completely replaceable or repairable, if needed. If ones specialty is vintage auto body restoration, that's a different story.
A lot of this will be hinging on how the seller is presenting the car to prospective buyers. Plus it is all about what you want.
Bill
squagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
There are some folks who specifically want an unmolested 1300 case for their '66 or later Euro model.

I suggest you don't let the engine size stand in your way. Once bought, if it's the 15/1600 you want, you are set. If it is still 1300 and runs, you can sell that motor (perhaps for a small premium) and then build the 1600 you want. Or just drive it! 1300s are a good low-speed torque motor, I hear.

Just a check... what carb is on it? If it is the original carb, with original jets, that is a good indicator it's still a 1300. Usually a larger carb or re-jetting is needed for the larger displacement. Also, you may be able to find a head part number by popping off a valve cover.

Here's an overall shot of the motor
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

It has a 12 Volt Motorola Alternator! Looks like a later Model Carb too. Factory Warm air hook-ups via the oil bath air cleaner are gone, crappy air cleaner.
I wonder if they updated the starter to 12 volts?
squagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine size/code question?? VW symbol before F Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
It has a 12 Volt Motorola Alternator! Looks like a later Model Carb too. Factory Warm air hook-ups via the oil bath air cleaner are gone, crappy air cleaner.
I wonder if they updated the starter to 12 volts?

Is that alternator and carb good or bad?
He (owner/seller) said the system was changed to 12V but I don't know anything about it myself
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: