Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro is like a skater or a Hawaiian dancer
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Syncro is like a skater or a Hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

I have a 1987 Syncro Westy with 225/60/R16 tires and original shocks and springs (except for new tires, bigger brakes and 16” wheels, everything else suspension-related is stock).

Lately, every time I drive through cross-winds (at 50 mph or more) it feels like I’m skating on ice or just bouncing side to side, white knuckles on the wheel, trying desperately to regain some control of the van (I found that when that happens, reducing the speed to 40 or 35 helps a lot).

I understand that the Vanagon aerodynamics are not spectacular, however, what are my options to be able to reduce this situation? Will putting newer shocks and springs solve this problem, or should I look into other options (like newer bushings, sway bars, etc). I’m not trying to rebuild all my suspension setup just because, but it’s becoming very scary to drive in these conditions, so I’m open to all suggestions.

I don't want to turn this into a “shocks X are better than shocks Y” discussion, just need some guidance on which items should I start looking into replacing and/or upgrading. Thanks in advance!

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

Many things can contribute to what you describe. First thing that comes to mind is tires. What are you running? Did the problem start after the tire swap, if so how long after?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
...newer shocks and springs ... newer bushings, sway bars, etc...!

All of the above...none of these things last 30 years. Wink

Having updated tires & shocks as soon as we got the van, Chris ( t3technique.com ) has a new production
of beefier anti-sway bars...on my personal short list to continue to address the issues you mention.

All you have to do is the work... Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

PNW- I did things in a stepwise fashion so I think I can answer your question. Replacing the steering rack bushings with poly made a HUGE difference. Doing poly for the sway bar made a little more. New springs and shocks- very little. Your money is at the steering rack bushings with poly and the sway bar with poly. Those two alone were like going from an old school displacement hull to a planing hull in being able to keep direction (you know what I'm talking about from your avatar Smile!)
I have a syncro westy too and with all due respect to Chris, I haven't found the need to upgrade to a bigger sway bar- it would probably help a little, but probably not as much as the other two I mentioned- and I don't think I'd like any bumpier performance off road from a bigger sway bar.
My .02
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
Replacing the steering rack bushings with poly made a HUGE difference. Doing poly for the sway bar made a little more. New springs and shocks- very little. Your money is at the steering rack bushings with poly and the sway bar with poly. Those two alone were like going from an old school displacement hull to a planing hull in being able to keep direction (you know what I'm talking about from your avatar Smile!)
I have a syncro westy too and with all due respect to Chris, I haven't found the need to upgrade to a bigger sway bar- it would probably help a little, but probably not as much as the other two I mentioned- and I don't think I'd like any bumpier performance off road from a bigger sway bar.
My .02

Spot on advice! I've done all of the above plus the larger T3 Technique anti-sway bar. I've also noticed that proper (or improper Embarassed ) tires and tire pressure also has a dramatic difference.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

Quote:
original shocks

hehe Very Happy

put on NEW shock.. and new front end bushings... and then let us know how's the difference...

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

The aerodynamics of a van can create body movement that the shocks can reduce. Body movement vs the suspension is what causes the tire's angles vs the pavement to change. So, shocks help with this and if this happens in a straight line, it may pay dividends.

The comment on the steering rack bushings is a good one. Lay on the ground with the key unlocking the steering and watch the steering rack while someone at the wheel saws at the wheel. The excess movement of the rack you might see is going to have a direct effect on straight line stability.

While laying there, I'd check the steering linkages in case of excess play.

And a very large suspect here would be the vehicle's alignment. When the wind weights and unweights tires that are not properly aligned, the vehicle will never settle down. Small road undulations will alone create this wandery behavior. Be sure to consult the Samba for the correct Syncro alignment and find a shop willing to take the time to do it (much weight should be added).

My Syncro wandered like yours. I had it properly aligned and put correct load rated tires on the stock rims. Turned it into a guided missle. The steering rack bushings added a measure again of stability.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

As other have said, changing the steering rack bushes would the first thing to try. Then look at new drop link bushes and lower control arm bushes.
Then new upper control arm bushes.
Then perhaps consider adding a front spoiler, although this is not such a great idea if you go offroad a lot.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

Nobody willing to say "check your balls?"
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

What's your tire pressure?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

If you think about it systematically, the vehicle is in contact with the road first with tires. So first check is tires like Jake says pressure + load rating.

After tires->wheels->hubs-> control arms = this is all solid connection assuming nothing is loose and ball joints/bearings are good.

Next soft connection are rubber bushings from control arms to the body so check those. Also steering rack to body is soft connection.

After the bushings there is only body so order of things should be:

1) is the loose feeling in a) steering input or b) body to road?

If 1a) then check the rack and its connection to the road via wheels.
If 1b) then start checking from tires to body.

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
225/60/R16 tires and original shocks

I also found that the poly bushings from T3 helped my Syncro stay on track much better. One of the cheapest bang for buck upgrades Ive ever done.

I would definitely get new shocks. I like OME, but other options are good too.

If I read you correctly you are Not running a light truck tire? That means your sidewalls are softer, so the van will sway more in the wind. What tire pressure are you using? What is the max load and Max PSI on your tire sidewall?

IF I am guessing correctly and your tire is rated for 1653 pounds @ 44psi.
I suggest you try 36psi front, 44 psi rear.

I suggest you find a Light Truck tire, something C or D rated. Nokian comes to mind (but not an Entyre or Rottiva, those are Passenger tires). Van Cafe can help you with the details.

Again for emphasis, You need to find a light truck tire! I like the 215x70x16 BFG ATKo2, but you would need Lift springs (I like GW progressives), it is over 1" larger in diameter, and considerably heavier than what you have now.

Is your van overloaded at either end? Have you weighed each axle separately?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

Shocks and tires are the obvious first places to look. If you want that new van ride you need to go through the van and replace the 30 year old suspension bushings- trailing arm, radius rod bushing, steering rack etc. A syncro van with new suspension drives really predictibly even in crosswinds.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

I started with the shocks (OME) and heavier springs (syncro.org). Then I got a tip from the hardcore syncro expedition folks long ago to pump the tires up to max. on the sidewall (all four equally). Tires must be in good shape and not too old. Then I did some bushing replacements as needed. If you have a decoupler, couple in winds and will help stabilize.

So far like going through my personal wind tunnel (Columbia Gorge) or driving down the grapevine or getting mixed up in the Santa Ana winds in the far south it's done very well. You'll still feel the jolts of high gusts but it won't feel nearly as traumatic.

Last, as a worst case I just slow down or draft behind a semi if I can find one and they don't get too annoyed. I bought the T3 front anti-sway bar but haven't installed yet.
si2t3m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

What's the load rating & tire pressure?
76 Westfalia EZ30D
72 911 Targa
70 914-6 conversion
69 Ghia convertible
68 912 coupe
67 912/911 coupe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

my Syncro tintop is rock solid in the wind

- OME shocks
- stock springs
- new bushings in front
- General Gabber AT 27x85 LT14 (replacing the BFG 27x85 LT14 AT no longer available)
- 42psi Front - 46psi rear medium load
- 44psi Front - 48psi rear heavy load
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

here btw is one of the very worst ideas that come up constantly in tire threads:

"pump the tires up to max. on the sidewall (all four equally)"

the reason this is bad advice is because

1. it does not in any way have enough info to translate to the OP's situation.

2. there is no reference to what tire is being inflated to max, what its max load and max psi is on the sidewall, and

3. there is no reference to the axle weights of the van.

4. The Door Sticker on the Van NEVER says to inflate to equal pressure front and rear

si2t3m wrote:
What's the load rating & tire pressure?

good questions! the OP has not yet said what pressure he uses, nor the specs of the tire, but if you look up that size, you will learn it is an XL Passenger tire size, based on which I suggested he use the Max psi on the rear (44), and 17% less on the front (36), (because that is what VW door stickers say, they put 17% less air in front).

For emphasis:
The 1987 syncro door sticker does NOT advise max psi on all wheels.

here is a list of the tires and inflations on Vanagon doorstickers
http://www.roadhaus.com/tires/Silver%20Sticker%20Info.html
here is what that link shows for the 87:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

for the 87 syncro there are 3 different tires, they each use a different PSI for the rear.. (the passenger tires use max psi in rear and 36psi in front), and they all use a lower psi in front than in back

Last edited by Jon_slider on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

[quote="Pcforno"]PNW- Your money is at the steering rack bushings with poly and the sway bar with poly. Those two alone were like going from an old school displacement hull to a planing hull in being able to keep direction (you know what I'm talking about from your avatar Smile!)

Pcforno you are dating yourself as an oldschool paddler Cool . All the cool kids who came up in the last ten years paddling may not be familiar with displacement hull. I'm guessing the OP gets your point though?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

I tend to agree...

I also agree with the Rack comments.

I also agree with the bushings comments.

I also suspect strongly the Tire issue, pressure or rating. And a 225 on a 16" rim seems to clang some bells in my head. Seems likely there would be a issue of what rim is that, and spacers, and all that jazz. (Did it get an alignment with that setup? Easy to overlook as a question to the OP)

My comment on "check your balls" seems like it is not only supposed to have a little humor, but get the OP to think about it a bit. I can say in one instance at the start of a ball joint wear issue, I had a similar symptom. Here is a clip I found on the Internet so I know its true:

Because ball joints are an important component of any vehicle’s suspension, when they begin to have problems or fail, the overall handling and ride characteristics of the vehicle may become compromised.

Good luck tho.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro is like a skater or a hawaiian dancer Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
the reason this is bad advice is because

1. it does not in any way have enough info to translate to the OP's situation.

Stiffening the sidewalls prevents tire wallow in crosswinds. I believe that was an OP concern ? Most everyone I know with a syncro has done it for a long road trip through crosswinds for decades without incident I know of.

Jon_Slider wrote:
4. The Door Sticker on the Van NEVER says to inflate to equal pressure front and rear

It doesn't say not to either and most ride around with different pressures than what's on the door. You've even done it yourself. A lot depends on load and distribution, etc.

People with syncros (which the OP has) usually keep the front and rear tires the same psi, especially when coupled, to keep the tire rotation between the front and rear tires the same to avoid overheating the viscuous material in the VC **on a long road trip at higher speeds**. Slower variable speeds like around town wouldn't matter as much.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: