Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

car radiator bubbling sounds!?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

So Im pretty much a dumbass when it comes to watercooled cars.

The radiator of my Toyota Corolla is making this bubbling sound, the rad cap flew off one time while inspecting (I didnt touch it honestly!) and I got burnt as hell Sad and coolant reservoir is also overflowing... but the overflowing (and flying cap) stopped when I replaced the radiator cap.

any ideas on what could be causing it? head gasket?? but no white smoke in exhaust and no loss of power.
cooling system needs bleeding?

Thanks.

BTW, anybody had experiences on radiator caps just flying all of a sudden Very Happy
Its a harrowing experience to look at it and it will just come to life and attack you!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

Is this a sealed, closed loop system....meaning no overflow tube?

I think you hit it on the head. There are two different types of head leaks:

1. Where the head gasket is leaking into the cylinder....and you are burning antifreeze.

2. Where you have a head gasket leak that is only on the high pressure side.....and very small where gasses are pumped into the cooling system. It can over pressurize a closed loop system and either crack the overflow tank or blow off the radiator cap.

It will usually be a leak that is on a combined gasket that is part of a water heated intake snd exhaust manifold...and may not be the head gasket.

This is also the exact symptom....of a cracked head....and that is probably what it really is. With a crack in the head in an exhaust port.....you get high exhaust pressure into the cooling system....but no coolant in the engine. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

by overflow tube you mean the hose that connects to the coolant reservoir? if so then yes.

Its weird because my Nissan has a known bad head gasket, the coolant bubbles only when the engine is cold, but I never experienced a bubbling sound when hot and the cap is on... (edit) and never experienced a flying radiator cap!

since theres no white smoke in the exhaust that means that the cylinder gasses are leaking into the radiator, but not to the cylinder. right? sorry, Im so confused right now Embarassed
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

bug1200 wrote:
by overflow tube you mean the hose that connects to the coolant reservoir? if so then yes.

Its weird because my Nissan has a known bad head gasket, the coolant bubbles only when the engine is cold, but I never experienced a bubbling sound when hot and the cap is on... (edit) and never experienced a flying radiator cap!

since theres no white smoke in the exhaust that means that the cylinder gasses are leaking into the radiator, but not to the cylinder. right? sorry, Im so confused right now Embarassed

No....an overflow hose...and a few cars still have these......means open to air and overflow coolant goes out on the ground.

In a closed loop....the overflow from the radiator top goes near the cap....goes to the sealed overflow tank...and there is no outlet or vent. Its actually an expansion tank. Water expands when it gets hot. When the system cools down...it sucks the coolant back into the radiator.

What you are describing.....is one of two things.....as noted....if you KNOW he have a head gasket leak.....first....why sre you still driving it?

In the early stages of the leak while the engine is still saveable......it will only leak when cold....because as it heats up....the heat expansion seals the leak. It WILL sooner or later expand into a full blown....blown....head gasket snd you will pump antifreeze into the oil.

The other item that this is a symptom of...as mentioned....is a small crack in an exhaust port pocket. They leak when cold.....and close up when hot due to heat expansion.

With a crack like that.....if it does not damage the sealed cooling system expansion tank.....you could drive for YEARS with no issues.

I had a crack like that on my Saab 900. I put 100k miles on it with no issues....except tuat about every 15k or so ai had fo drain and refill the antifreeze because it was putting soot snd fuel vapor into the cooling system and contaminating the coolant. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

No....an overflow hose...and a few cars still have these......means open to air and overflow coolant goes out on the ground.

In a closed loop....the overflow from the radiator top goes near the cap....goes to the sealed overflow tank...and there is no outlet or vent. Its actually an expansion tank.

Hmmm...I'll double check my T100 and my wife's Avalon when I get home. They both have overflow reservoirs and I'm pretty certain the reservoirs then have overflow hoses as well. I'm sure it's to prevent over pressurized situations like this.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

Yes, normally the overflow tank should not be pressurized, and has a vent and a snap-on cap with no firm seal.

The hose leading from the radiator cap's pressure relief leads to the overflow tank, and extends below the normal level of fluid in the overflow tank.

This lets excess fluid/pressure in the radiator flow freely into the overflow tank, then siphon back under vacuum as the radiator cools.

Either way, looks like you are probably "heading" for a new head gasket. But first I'd set the overflow tank/venting right.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Yes, normally the overflow tank should not be pressurized, and has a vent and a snap-on cap with no firm seal.

The hose leading from the radiator cap's pressure relief leads to the overflow tank, and extends below the normal level of fluid in the overflow tank.

This lets excess fluid/pressure in the radiator flow freely into the overflow tank, then siphon back under vacuum as the radiator cools.

Either way, looks like you are probably "heading" for a new head gasket. But first I'd set the overflow tank/venting right.

No....that is OLD normal.
What you described is a "NON-Pressurized" system...which is a lot less efficient than a closed loop system and actually requires service (flush and fill) at about 3 times the interval of a closed loop system because it can evaporate/split water out of the antifreeze and pull in contaminates in the form of condensation.

In fact...its virtually impossible to buy a European (and most Japanese cars as well)....without a closed loop system...and has been this way for over a decade at least. They do this for two reasons...
1. because its MUCH more efficient and reliable
2. Because it prevents anti-freeze loss into the environment...which is a serious bio-toxin.

What many people confuse on these cars as an old school "overflow tank"...is the expansion reservoir ..and it runs about 2 bars of pressure at least.

Remembering your science....liquid under pressure boils at a higher temp Wink ...and can carry more heat. Typically the anti-freeze type in these is a very different...non-phosphate, low sodium "lifetime" fill.

Its important to know the difference. Ray
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

Am I missing something here or could this cap just have blown off because of the normal pressure inside the radiator and it was loose? After it blew off he introduced a boat load of air into the system and that's what he sees bubbling.

Have you refilled the system correctly yet?

If not then:
Start off with a cold engine.
Remove the radiator cap and inspect the fluid level.
Start the car and let it get to operating temperature.
Add coolant as the car warms up.
When you start seeing movement in the coolant have someone give the car some gas (1500-2000rpm).
If the coolant level drops keep adding fluid until it takes no more (keep the rpms up).
Once it takes no more fluid put the cap back on tightly.
Add coolant to the "hot" reading on the overflow tank.

Then drive it and watch your coolant temp and level.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

I am presuming this is an older Corolla with a unsealed system. My 2005 Prius still has the "old" unpressurized system.

Maybe the OP can clarify what he has?
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I am presuming this is an older Corolla with a unsealed system. My 2005 Prius still has the "old" unpressurized system.

Maybe the OP can clarify what he has?

LOL your car is brand new compared to my fleet. The newest car I have is my wife's Avalon, and it's a 2000.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

For many years Toyota (and others, probably) have been using plastic top and bottom caps on their radiators. They crack or leak at the union with the brass radiator. My '89 Corolla did this, and I had the shop put in a conventional all-brass radiator after that. I think this was a common design with the GM Metro that, like the Corolla, came out of the Fremont NUMMI plant.

The OP probably doesn't have this problem, since the leak would be obvious under pressure, but maybe would be a possible additional symptom/casualty of an overpressure situation.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
For many years Toyota (and others, probably) have been using plastic top and bottom caps on their radiators. They crack or leak at the union with the brass radiator. My '89 Corolla did this, and I had the shop put in a conventional all-brass radiator after that. I think this was a common design with the GM Metro that, like the Corolla, came out of the Fremont NUMMI plant.

The OP probably doesn't have this problem, since the leak would be obvious under pressure, but maybe would be a possible additional symptom/casualty of an overpressure situation.

Bingo! My Avalon had the same problem.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

I have not seen an all metal radiator on ANY make of vehcile since the early 80s. I have not seen brass radiators since the same era and mainly on American cars. Most that I see are aluminum with plastic end caps.

They usually get a pretty good lifespan....about 15 years and 150-200k miles.....the years being the main issue. Ray
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

Yeah, the guy that fixed my Corolla said he just had a few left, and asked if I wanted him to use one of them. I said heck yes! At the time, even though new cars were going plastic, the on-the-road shops couldn't stock all those parts, so if I broke down on the road or caught a rock, I'd have to wait for parts. But they sure knew how to solder/patch brass radiator headers, so it seemed the better choice. Sheitt, I bet they can't use lead solder anymore, anyway!

Not as good as an air-cooled engine, though!

We are truly in the throwaway car era, even though they are 10X more expensive than they used to be.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
We are truly in the throwaway car era, even though they are 10X more expensive than they used to be.

For cars?
http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
says an $1677 Beetle** in 1965 would be $12,849.17 today.

**I pulled this cost from a 1965 price list on the site

I wonder if plastic radiators are cheaper to produce or more sturdy.
If I threw a rock at both, I'm not sure which one would puncture more easily.
Plastic probably rots out less.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

For cars?
http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
says an $1677 Beetle** in 1965 would be $12,849.17 today.

**I pulled this cost from a 1965 price list on the site

I wonder if plastic radiators are cheaper to produce or more sturdy.
If I threw a rock at both, I'm not sure which one would puncture more easily.
Plastic probably rots out less.

Actually...the modern radiators are far better than any of the old sopd2ered brass and copper ones. They just are not better at being battered by tools and rattleing against the bidy....which is why they are carefully mounted and isolated.

I have not had a radiator....rot out.... on a water cooled VW yet. Even the 80s models had sealed high pressure systems, plastic end tanks and aluminum fins and tubes.

Cant speak to American cars as much but since at least the late 90s....they seem to have learned a little from European and Japanese cars....well...all except those damn mid 90s GM using their bastard anti-freeze....Dex-Cool. Do a google on "Dex Kill" and you will see just how poorly they got it.

With closed loop systems....carefully formulated anti freeze and metal combinations, all aluminum radiators with high flow, thermostatically controlled fans.....modern plastics and rubber seals......issues with radiators failing at anything under 100k+ miles is rare. Ray
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

Sorry, I just woke up to so many replies!
i wont be able to answer all so ill just answer one

@KTPhil, its a 1995 toyota corolla with a 1.6 4A-FE engine. with less than 110,000 kilometers (barely used)
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

bug1200 wrote:
Sorry, I just woke up to so many replies!
i wont be able to answer all so ill just answer one

@KTPhil, its a 1995 toyota corolla with a 1.6 4A-FE engine. with less than 110,000 kilometers (barely used)

Ah. Great engine actually. Post a couple of pictures of the tank please because it makes a difference.

If its a closed loop system and it may very well be.....a high pressure leak from an exhaust manifold crack WILL blow the radiator cap off.

I am also suspecting you may not have a closed loop system because many of those got rid of radiator caps....and only use a threaded cap on the overflow tank.

You may just have a crack somewhere or might have a very small head gasket leak. Ray
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

UPDATE: problem found! it is infact a bad head gasket! never thought a bad head gasket (the head is also warped) could cause the car to overheat like that!

the reason for the flying radiator cap is: 1. rad cap is broke. 2. rad cap is broke and the excess pressure in the system could not escape therefore waking up "the beast" and scalding me in the process
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: car radiator bubbling sounds!? Reply with quote

Good news... I think! Lots of work but you found it.

We are still curious what kind of system you have... when it's all together, please post up a picture.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: