Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best looking and fitting side trim
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Schaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Best looking and fitting side trim Reply with quote

Hi guys I purchased a 56 Vert that has been off the road for quite some time and will be a good weather driver not a show car that needs new side trim. I am confused as to what to purchase aluminum or stainless, German or Brazilian. It is not a show car but I would like the trim to fit fairly well so wondering what people are using before I buy. It is getting close to road worthy. Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Best looking and fitting side trim Reply with quote

I have the WW stainless. Nice fit except hood. Needs a little cutting by badge. Should put the correct bumpers on too, or if those are semaphores remove the bullets. Picture not too clear in that area.
Joe Schaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking and fitting side trim Reply with quote

Thank you very much and that is good news because I was hoping to be able to use the stainless but did not want to get something that had a poor fit. The car does not have semaphores and did come with a new set of WW bumpers still raped up but I don't personally know if they are correct or not , I am new to ovals and need to do my homework. Joe
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking and fitting side trim Reply with quote

WW stainless for me as well. They fit well, a little issue with rear quarter panel fit, but that's just me being picky.

Just know that the SS trim does look different then stock, but I prefer it.

Your oval should have the "towel bars" to be stock, not the European style
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe Schaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking and fitting side trim Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
WW stainless for me as well. They fit well, a little issue with rear quarter panel fit, but that's just me being picky.

Your oval should have the "towel bars" to be stock, not the European style

I think I will stay with the euros as it came with another set of brand new WW euros and the aprons do not have the support holes. My car is a nice solid car but it is not 100% original so for the time being I will leave the bumpers. I will start driving it in March to sort it out and then go from there. Thank you for the input I am no oval expert. Joe
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking and fitting side trim Reply with quote

Joe Schaefer wrote:
Thank you very much and that is good news because I was hoping to be able to use the stainless but did not want to get something that had a poor fit. The car does not have semaphores and did come with a new set of WW bumpers still raped up but I don't personally know if they are correct or not , I am new to ovals and need to do my homework. Joe

A '56 U.S. Spec oval should have towel rail bumpers and not blade bumpers like you have. You should have some holes in your rear fenders and front apron for where the supports go.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking and fitting side trim Reply with quote

No problem sticking with the euro style...your preference. The bullet turn signals just make it stand out. I like the euro style myself.

Post some more pics, looks like a nice car

Quote:
I think I will stay with the euros as it came with another set of brand new WW euros and the aprons do not have the support holes. My car is a nice solid car but it is not 100% original so for the time being I will leave the bumpers. I will start driving it in March to sort it out and then go from there. Thank you for the input I am no oval expert. Joe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe Schaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking and fitting side trim Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
Joe Schaefer wrote:

A '56 U.S. Spec oval should have towel rail bumpers and not blade bumpers like you have. You should have some holes in your rear fenders and front apron for where the supports go.

No support bracket holes in the apron or fenders so the Euros will stay while I spend the money on the mechanics and can revisit the bumpers once the car is sorted . Thanks for the info I appreciate it .
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking and fitting side trim Reply with quote

Someone filled the support holes in at one time, a true euro '56 would have semaphores.

Looks good regardless, that car looks very familiar.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Joe Schaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking and fitting side trim Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
No problem sticking with the euro style...your preference. The bullet turn signals just make it stand out. I like the euro style myself.

Post some more pics, looks like a nice car

I think I will stay with the euros as it came with another set of brand new WW euros and the aprons do not have the support holes. My car is a nice solid car but it is not 100% original so for the time being I will leave the bumpers. I will start driving it in March to sort it out and then go from there. Thank you for the input I am no oval expert. Joe[/quote][/quote]

Thanks traveling so will post pics in a week or so car is just a driver not a show car pictures always help.
Joe Schaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking and fitting side trim Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
Someone filled the support holes in at one time, a true euro '56 would have semaphores.

Looks good regardless, that car looks very familiar.

I bought the car on the east coast in storage for 14 years but it was a CA car prior. Just finished full brake system, fuel system etc still not quite road worthy yet but in NY I have a couple months .
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Best looking and fitting side trim Reply with quote

I would go with used original VW--the side trim is unchanged through 1966.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking and fitting side trim Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

Sounds similar to the SS set I got. I got it from my local VW shop and not sure if it was German or Brazilian, but it was SS. What I noticed were the tips being shaped slightly different than OG and the fit wasn't as nice. One door piece was a little too long and had to be trimmed and as mentioned above, the rear quarters are a little longer and not able to be trimmed properly. I also had to massage them a little to get the correct curvature in them.

The trim on it looks nice actually, maybe consider just keeping it?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Joe Schaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking and fitting side trim Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
txoval wrote:

Sounds similar to the SS set I got. I got it from my local VW shop and not sure if it was German or Brazilian, but it was SS. What I noticed were the tips being shaped slightly different than OG and the fit wasn't as nice. One door piece was a little too long and had to be trimmed and as mentioned above, the rear quarters are a little longer and not able to be trimmed properly. I also had to massage them a little to get the correct curvature in them.

Pictures don't show it but several dings and dents or I would leave it.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking and fitting side trim Reply with quote

Joe Schaefer wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
txoval wrote:

Most of mine was decent, but my hood piece was really beaten up. If you're interested, let me know which pieces are dinged and dented and maybe some of mine are in better condition? I have no use for them.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Joe Schaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking and fitting side trim Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Joe Schaefer wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
txoval wrote:

Most of mine was decent, but my hood piece was really beaten up. If you're interested, let me know which pieces are dinged and dented and maybe some of mine are in better condition? I have no use for them.

Thank you I am traveling for work now and will consider that when get home. My hood piece is perfect and I know my drivers door is dented but I will look over the others. Thank you again
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking and fitting side trim Reply with quote

That's the nice thing about aluminum trim, it can be massaged back into shape and polished back up.

I never quite understood the stainless trim, I could understand if our trim was chromed steel and it pitted (like the cast dash pieces in '60's bugs), but it's polished aluminum, that stuff can be brought back from the dead. Good used replacement pieces are also pretty readily available for next to nothing.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: