Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

i need to change the door pins
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

I need new door pins before I can get the doors aligned so I'm making this door pin remover
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Irish911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

Let us know how you make out?
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

all done haven't made the push pins yet thinking of using an old screwdriver total cost 13.00 if it works its the best 13 bucks ever spent lol

Last edited by bugheadred on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

Can you please write up a tutorial on how that door hinge pin puller works?

I can see how the top works. It's the leaver that confuses me. Do you hit it with a hammer? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for sharing your tool build.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

Looks good Cool
Question: How do you keep the driver pin (made out of the rod of a screwdriver) from sliding away at start?
Did you make an indent in the leverage beam?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

ok so I bent the 1 inch bar stock on the first try

so I wielded on them 2 triangles and heat treated it . I put it in my wood stove for about 30 min. until glowing red quenched in used motor oil . then cleaned it up (after it was all the way cooled to room temp) got all the oil off and then baked it in my oven at 400 degrees for 2 hrs (its hard )

the push pins I made out of old head studs

to make the pins stay in place I drilled about 1/4 into the 1 inch bar you can see it in the last pic

Last edited by bugheadred on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

OK it works !
Where are you and how much is the rental ?
How much will shipping be ?

remember the other hinge tool required a $100 deposit so you make shure you get it back .
a little ospho and some primer and paint will keep my hands cleaner too Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
OK it works !
Where are you and how much is the rental ?
How much will shipping be ?

remember the other hinge tool required a $100 deposit so you make shure you get it back .
a little ospho and some primer and paint will keep my hands cleaner too Laughing

I cost me 13.00 (you built a whole car you can just do it yourself I'm sure . if you need help let me know
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
if you need help let me know

OK ; can you give a breakdown on materials like the thickness of the side plates .
Is the threaded rod 1/2 inch ?
why did you weld the nuts to a small piece of bar before you welded to the side plate ?
Is the moving cross bar 1 inch by 1 inch solid bar ?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

the side plates are 1/4 thick plate that was given to me for scrap

the threaded rod was in my scrap pile also . it is thicker than half I think its 5/8
I welded the piece of square stock to the nuts so there was more surface wielded to the to the side plates . I also made the threaded rod longer than the side plates so when it got ruined I could screw it all the way in and cut it off so it could be unscrewed and replaced (the bad part on the end where it contacts the lever bar) and yes the lever bar is 1x1 bar stock
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

Thank you for this Thread. I am about to start building one with a company in town. Your dimensions helped a lot. A guy in the US use t build these but stopped and I would pay up to $200.00 for one but I am now seeing them for $400.00 or more. I can pay to have one laser cut for $100.00 or less if I weld it and wait twoo weeks.

Ingenuity is our (VW people) hallmark when people get greedy.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

A little late to help me, I just got my door pins out, darn. But I have access to an entire metal shop, so if it's okay I'm going to build one of these to keep around. Wink
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

Sqrbckguy38 wrote:
A little late to help me, I just got my door pins out, darn. But I have access to an entire metal shop, so if it's okay I'm going to build one of these to keep around. Wink

that is why I put this up anything to help anyone keep these old fun cars on the road
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

So it appears the top of the pin has threads on it. Am I seeing that correctly? I think I'm wrong about that because the pin is pushed out, not threaded out
Any help is appreciated
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

yes but so the mirror can screw on the hole for the pin don't have threads
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
yes but so the mirror can screw on the hole for the pin don't have threads

Gotcha, Thanks
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

Most pins also have groves at the top of the pin also so it will not spin. The groves are vertical and are inside the whole when inserted. I want to do this so I can add a pin for eternal side view mirror on both sides. Mine currently has none. Not sure how it passed inspection in the past with out the Drivers side version at least.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

tb03830 wrote:
Thank you for this Thread. I am about to start building one with a company in town. Your dimensions helped a lot. A guy in the US use t build these but stopped and I would pay up to $200.00 for one but I am now seeing them for $400.00 or more. I can pay to have one laser cut for $100.00 or less if I weld it and wait twoo weeks.

Ingenuity is our (VW people) hallmark when people get greedy.

13.00 all together cost to me
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

How wide is the whole to accommodate the threaded head on that door pin. It has to pass through the upper brace point to be pushed out. The whole has to be big enough to allow the head to pass through even with a screw head pin attachment for a mirror. Can you give it to me in milometers?

Thank for the help on this.

bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: i need to change the door pins Reply with quote

tb03830 wrote:
How wide is the whole to accommodate the threaded head on that door pin. It has to pass through the upper brace point to be pushed out. The whole has to be big enough to allow the head to pass through even with a screw head pin attachment for a mirror. Can you give it to me in milometers?

Thank for the help on this.

I don't remember
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: