Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

911pickup wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Nice color combo on the finished car! Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Nice job!
I'm truly jealous.
When the transport caught fire delivering our Tow'd from Reno to Eastern Ontario ( 6 vehicles total loss) the heat left the tube frame as junk, could dent it with light taps of a small ball pein hammer. Needless to say the f/g body was similar to yours in some areas, non-existent in others.
We had to start over with a different Tow'd, still a work in progress.

(With way more projects than spare time!)
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
By chance, did your 356 have a hard top, pearl white even? And was it in Georgia, maybe the Augusta area?

No, the car has always been registered in the province of British Columbia (Canada).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the replies. beautiful car 911pickup.

Joe a special thx from me and the thousands of other people in the background that soak in the knowledge from your experience that you never hear from. Over the years I have learned a tremendous amount from your posts.

Well my buggy is quite torn apart...getting ready for the chassis rebuild/metal surgery. I probably would just purchase a new berien chassis but this one has sentimental value, the chassis was made the same year I was born.....yes I am getting old...lol, and the body was made the same year my wife was born. Plus as I get older I get a huge satisfaction from achieving something that I wasn't quite sure I could do. In the 5th picture you can see the holes and PO's repairs with the angle iron. The tunnel looks solid, I will cut off and replace the frame horns, Napoleon hat, bottom plate , new front beam and custom make the perimeter framing and floor. I really find very little info or pictures on the frame horn replacement....If anyone has any technical knowledge or advice on this procedure please submit it.

thx again guys....

Last edited by chriswitvw on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

911pickup wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:
By chance, did your 356 have a hard top, pearl white even? And was it in Georgia, maybe the Augusta area?

No, the car has always been registered in the province of British Columbia (Canada).

Just a coincidence. In January '14 I went to Charleston SC and picked up a beautiful Intermeccanica Pearl White Speedster. On the trip to get the speedster, I went to Augusta GA and picked up a Pearl White Speedster Hard top that had a little fire damage from another Speedster, but with some re-upholstery, was very usable.

Just had to ask.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

chriswitvw wrote:

Joe a special thx from me and the thousands of other people in the background that soak in the knowledge from your experience that you never hear from. Over the years I have learned a tremendous amount from your posts.

I am very glad it has helped. I have three more I am doing this year that will get posted here.

I am enjoying watching your thread.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Well no turning back now. I have planned the surgery as best as I could and removed one of the frame horns. The plan was only to remove one at a time so I could use the other one to help alignment of the berien frame horn. I was concerned about the front half removal of the start of the old frame horn, but it was necessary to remove for welding on the new frame horn. I plan to use a piece of angle iron across the cut section of the top and bottom of the existing frame horn. This should close up the cut in the frame horn and allow multiple weld faces. I then plan to fabricate gussets with a radius to go around the torsion tube out of 2" wide 3/16" stock that will connect the angle iron, new frame horn and the old torsion housing. This should circumference the torsion housing similar to the way it was originally. By only replacing one at a time I can use the trans mount to establish the correct dimension at the far end, and use the spring bar as a reference on the other end for correct lateral placement. Use a level to make sure it is correct horizontally, I hope it turns out right. This may take a bit of time as by day I develop test and mfg. fixtures and devices for government defense contracting, and I was working on a underwater leak test which required the use of my Argon gas tank, I think that should be wrapping up soon .....I will post some photos as I make progress...

Last edited by chriswitvw on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Good idea for jigging the new horn. It's hard to see from the pics but I'd try to fit some sort of transition tube between original frame horn stamping (part left on chassis) and the new horn tubing. Maybe some heavy-wall tubing that roughly fits the ID of the chassis and OD of the new horn? Make it so it sections into the original frame stamping and allows the new horn to slide into it a little. That way you can spread out the stress areas for the transition and welds.
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

GS guy wrote:
Good idea for jigging the new horn. It's hard to see from the pics but I'd try to fit some sort of transition tube between original frame horn stamping (part left on chassis) and the new horn tubing. Maybe some heavy-wall tubing that roughly fits the ID of the chassis and OD of the new horn? Make it so it sections into the original frame stamping and allows the new horn to slide into it a little. That way you can spread out the stress areas for the transition and welds.

yes...I was definitely thinking something fabbed up that would tie everything all back together, like the way it was. The berien replacement frame horn requires pretty extensive surgery to the original frame horn that wrapped the original torsion tube. With some planning and welding I hope I can make it stronger than it was originally.
thx for the input
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

So while I was waiting for my argon tank to return I decided to continue with the metal surgery of the chassis. I started by completely removing the floor pans. This was pretty straight forward to do. I next decided to remove the bottom plate and Napoleons hat. For napoleons hat I first cut off the bulk of the material except the material left around the tunnel. Then rather than attacking it all at once I made a cut on top to split it into two. I consider this was very helpful, I then did a quick wire brush in a die grinder to help inspect the spot welds. I used a piece of chalk to help highlight the spot welds further and used a spot weld cutter to separate the hat from the tunnel. before too long the hat was removed. I decided to proceed onto the bottom plate, I first tried to locate the spot welds for removal, I realized that
the material I was trying to remove...the bottom plate was thicker than the tunnel flange I was trying to save, this made the process much more difficult. I soon realized I was going to end up with Swiss cheese and a high amount of deformation during the removal process. So I flipped everything over and removed the inner portions leaving only the tunnel flanges, and just ground the surfaces to remove the bottom plate material. This certainly was not an easy task but the end result was a nice looking flange that was not full of spot weld cutting holes. The bottom plate did require some altering to the front width area to properly seat for correct placement.

I was happy with my progress so far...
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Well, I had to take a little time off to troubleshoot my welder. Now that I have that problem solved I am back to the chassis repair. I did lots of measuring and checking to ensure the original frame horn geometry was maintained. I removed one of the frame horns and using the trans mount for alignment I tack welded the berrien horn into position. I completely welded it into place before removing the next one. I used some steel to make gussets and angles to tie everything together and add strength where I thought it was needed. With that completed I am going to replace the bottom plate and napoleon hat. While I had it apart I decided I will remove the surface rust and coat the inside of the tube with some por 15, and the edge with some weld thru primer. That should add some added rust protection from our Michigan weather. Our weather is not too cold here for February and I miss driving my buggy on the weekends. The heated seats and electric defroster aid in winter comfort for driving it. But I know the next time I drive my buggy it will be much better off. After replacing the mentioned items I plan to replace the complete bottom of the tunnel, it looks pretty thin, I will do this in a 3 section replacement so I do not risk changing the original shape of it. I might should have looked for another doner pan, but I enjoy the challenge...Lots of steel replacement...You guys from the south don't know how lucky you have it.....

heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

What is the tan colored material you have on the Napolean's hat? Is that a weld through primer?

I love problems solving and re-engineering.

Thanks, Jeff
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Yes, that is the weld thru primer...a little added rust protection. They say it will liquefy during welding , but not burn off, after welding it will re-solidify for protection in the joint. I am hoping to only do this repair once...lol
And I too love the engineering of it all...everything on this buggy I make an engineering project of.
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

In the process of installing the bottom plate and napoleon hat I drilled 1/4" holes for the spot welds, then ground the backside of the holes so it would be burr free for a proper fit. I then coated all inner surfaces with some brushable weld thru primer. I did have to trim the front portion of the bottom plate, but the fit overall was pretty good. Next I cut out the remaining bottom portion of the tunnel. Inspection brought back some memories. As I stated previously, my clutch cable tube last summer completely came loose inside the tunnel. I was really bummed thinking my buggy season was over far before I was ready. All the repairs I looked at involved welding in the old tube. My tube was loose and the end was rusted which warranted a complete tube replacement. With some engineering, lots of measuring I purchased some tubing and made a couple aluminum brackets to hold the new clutch tube. I was really afraid this idea would not work and I was prepared to garage my buggy for the season. I was very proud when I took it for a ride and it was as good as new. If I remember correctly I only lost 1 week , and I was out driving again. The repair looked good, as this was the fist time I saw it up close, last time it was installed through 2 small holes in the tunnel. It has worked well this far I guess I will leave it as is. So after removing the bottom material of the tunnel I cleaned the inside of the tunnel and liberally coated it with por 15. I wire brushed the new tunnel bottom inside and coated it too with por 15. I grinded all mating surfaces and coated all with weld thru primer. I will have to take the night off tonight for my sons hockey practice....So far I am really enjoying this rebuilding challenge...and still hope to be driving it this summer complete with a rebuilt motor.

chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

So... Back to it last night. inspected everything in the tunnel. Noticed the accelerator cable tube was loose in one spot and the pedal cluster nuts were loose as well. Welded everything in solid. Spot welded the bottom of the tunnel in, but didn't really like the way the side perimeter was meeting, so I welded down both sides as well. Next I Cut off the rear floor support flanges on both sides which make a much cleaner looking tunnel appearance. (Great idea and thx again Joe if you read this). I had a slightly larger gap than I liked for welding so I tacked in a 1/8" rod and then welded it in place down the rear sides of the tunnel. Ground down the spot welds flat for mounting the floor cross braces. Next is to build the complete perimeter and floor support skeleton system. The plan is to fab it up with some inserts welded in for the buggy mounting points, then to drill and tap holes for the 3/16" aluminum diamond plate floor I plan to use. I also want to weld a tube for running all the electrical from the rear to the front. Also to weld in brake line supports, ect. before I call the chassis welding done.

heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Wow, that is like one of the lake house projects where they leave one wall in place so it is a remodel. Great job with the fabrication.
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Thx...absolutely, not much original metal left. I am sure most would have opted for a much better chassis. But hey your from Michigan too, you know this is a prime quality chassis here in the salt state...lol. I have enjoyed the fab work though. Hopefully with everything protected and coated correctly it will last a long time and bring me many miles of enjoyment!
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Wow! Making quick progress. Looks nice and strong too. You will end up with a good solid buggy when you are done.

chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Yes... I hope it should be a nice strong chassis. Trying to keep it moving, I really enjoy the work and if you stop too long....it will never get done. I don't mind missing the cold driving temps here now, but I hope to be driving it this summer.
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Okay, I will tell this part even though I feel a little stupid. I now have a completed tunnel...looking pretty good ...feeling proud of my accomplishment. I could try all kinds of fancy measuring to build the skeleton part of the remaining chassis....but no, I decide to take the easy route and flip my buggy body over, lay the tunnel upside down on top of the bottom of the buggy and get my exact measurements the easy way. I do this, start taking some measurements when I notice the napoleons hat is not fitting quite like it should in the fiberglass body. I inspect to see if the body is twisted a bit in the cold....hmmm...not really. I get out a few levels.....uh oh.. the chassis is twisted. That was Friday night...I was done for the night. didn't sleep great..lol I start thinking well its not that bad. But no I get up Saturday take the bottom tunnel plate completely off. I decide to mount my new front beam to the front frame head and square everything up perfectly. Then weld ...check levels...weld...check levels until it was all perfect. Sure feels stupid that I did not do it correctly the first time, it seemed pretty solid when I removed the original bottom and welded in the new plate. Hindsight is always 20-20 and it was another learning experience.

So with the tunnel complete I went to the steel shop and again turned my buggy upside down to plan for the rest of the chassis. I am going with the 2" box exterior with 1" box stringers. The miter cut end look much better on the stringers....good idea...thx Joe. I will fab it up so it does not raise the body from the original position. It dimensionally has worked out great except building up napoleons hat with a 1/2' box spacer The engineering part of it is fun and I hope it will turn out well.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: