Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need recommendation clutch disk for sandrail
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Need recommendation clutch disk for sandrail Reply with quote

Gonna have a 200ish HP engine in a mid engine 2 seater OG high jumper sandrail, need a rec on a clutch disk, going to be running a stg 2 kennedy plate, not looking for something radical like a 3 puck, maybe a 4 or 6 puck or something else?

I guess looking for something that works and thats not so grabby like a 3 puck and wont slip, customer will have his foot into the throttle half the time and then putts around the other half.

(dont know the gearing in the trans sorry)
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation clutch disk for sandrail Reply with quote

Most anything with "pucks" will be grabby. And for that light vehicle, does it really need a "stage 2" pp? That'll just make the pedal harder to push and make what ever disc you do use that much more grippy.
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation clutch disk for sandrail Reply with quote

Daiken and stage 2 jus in case cuz it light weight if you get air and rev run away the ting stuyet going in gear. No miss shifts.
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation clutch disk for sandrail Reply with quote

Got NOS on it, May or May not use it, reason for stg 2 and has hydraulic clutch, is the daiken the standard style clutch disk?
I had been looking at the 4 and 6 pucks, of setup was a 3 pucks and stg 4, he's just looking for a little drivability at low spds without so much grabbiness and hooks good high rpm, you know the best of both worlds 😁
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation clutch disk for sandrail Reply with quote

I run this in my Ghia with a Stage 2 KEP, and it will chirp the tires going from 3rd to 4th. Smooth engagement from a stop.

http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?cPath=2_59_2690
woodsbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation clutch disk for sandrail Reply with quote

Kennedy 6 puck has worked very well for us offroad, the stock type clutch disks have a very short life with larger tires and more hp. The 6 puck is much smoother that a 4 puck.
Good Luck
Kenric
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation clutch disk for sandrail Reply with quote

Yeah, does have big paddle tires for the sand, almost gonna steer towards a 6 or 4 pucks, I'm gonna look into that berg disk tho.
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation clutch disk for sandrail Reply with quote

Daiken or kush lock will work just fine.

Years ago on my first rail i ran a 1700 pound pp with a puck style disc it worked great but it wore a groove in the pressure plate that was kind of deep.This was with my 1776 engine.

I later switched to a standard disc and no more grooving the PP went to 1914 went to daiken same PP no issues and now a 4 seater car with paddles in glamis.Now a 2275 still using a daiken and 1700 pound plate with no issues i get 3-4 seasons out of a disc which reminds me it will prob need changing soon.But have yet to have one slip.
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
Tbirdusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation clutch disk for sandrail Reply with quote

You look into the copperhead? It's damn smooth when you want it to be and a firm shifter with instant feedback to your foot. I thought it overkill but didn't want to drop the engine again so I put the copperhead in. I rally like it. My buddy's that drive all comment on smooth engagement and just feels good. Completely subjective but a lot in these cars is.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation clutch disk for sandrail Reply with quote

Tbirdusa wrote:
copperhead

Bingo
Only thing not to like is it is a little heavier, but not as heavy as a six puck.
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation clutch disk for sandrail Reply with quote

Spaced on that one, I'm gonna run that on a street turbo, but didn't think about using it in the sand.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation clutch disk for sandrail Reply with quote

Howard 111 wrote:
I run this in my Ghia with a Stage 2 KEP, and it will chirp the tires going from 3rd to 4th. Smooth engagement from a stop.

http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?cPath=2_59_2690

Same here. KEP Stage 2 & Berg Centerforce disc with 200+ HP to the wheels. Excellent both on the street and racing, and saves gearboxes!

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation clutch disk for sandrail Reply with quote

Center force from berg looks good, just checked out
the dual friction from CB, any thoughts on that one?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation clutch disk for sandrail Reply with quote

mcdragracer wrote:
Center force from berg looks good, just checked out
the dual friction from CB, any thoughts on that one?

They are both the same item.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation clutch disk for sandrail Reply with quote

I've got a big order the place from cb, think I'll just go
with cb's disk then.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: