Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Excessive Endplay!?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bil600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Excessive Endplay!? Reply with quote

Hi there, i'm building a Karmann ghia 1968 with an AH 1600 engine in it and it's my first flat 4 engine that I have. I can move the flywheel by hand. I know it's not normal but I want to know if I change all the internal bearing this will eliminate the end play or i have to machinate the block? Thanks for your help! Very Happy
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Excessive Endplay!? Reply with quote

Yes, usually the block gets beat on the thrust and requires resurfacing. You can check the fit with a new bearing.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Excessive Endplay!? Reply with quote

you have to actually see the thrust #1 bearing and determine if it fits the case with out movement.- if no movement then re shim and see what happens.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bil600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Excessive Endplay!? Reply with quote

Allright thank you guys, I just order new main bearing, I will stay in news with you!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Excessive Endplay!? Reply with quote

I wouldn't order bearings until you can figure out what bearings are in it? Are they stock, has it been rebuilt before and thrust cut already, once? twice? Is the case savable? Pull the flywheel off and push in on the shoulder of the bearing, then push in on the pulley end of the crank. If the bearing moves the case needs cutting. I hope you can return the set you ordered if you need to.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: