Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

intake manifold gaskets
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgraham602
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

going to be replacing my intake manifold gaskets. looks like both of these would fit. does it make a difference which one i go with? (is one any better than the other?)

*bus is a '75 with progressive carb.

4 of these:
http://www.jbugs.com/product/021129707D.html

vs

2 of these:
http://www.jbugs.com/product/022129707F.html
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

neither.

get these: http://www.jbugs.com/product/3227.html
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

Haz is right- the first ones are ??? but not bus- the second is the insulator block for FI- the recommended one is need for heat transfer- as those long pipes are murder in cold weather.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Haz is right- the first ones are ??? but not bus- the second is the insulator block for FI- the recommended one is need for heat transfer- as those long pipes are murder in cold weather.

first ones are original style for dual carb'ed type 4 buses

one per hole on intake
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

Although the metal ones improve heat transfer the thin flimsy metal the flanges on those EMPI runners is made from will warp and never seal well, the thick paper ones HG linked offer a better chance of sealing. I've had good results cutting my own from cork on the really mangled ones.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rastomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

When I switched back to duals the thick bakelite ones were already on the manifold.
Should they be on there? Does it screw with the mounting geometry if that 1/4 inch of height is not there?
The old ones crumbled when I took 'em off.

'74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

rastomas wrote:
When I switched back to duals the thick bakelite ones were already on the manifold.
Should they be on there? Does it screw with the mounting geometry if that 1/4 inch of height is not there?
The old ones crumbled when I took 'em off.

The bakelite ones are only for FI, for dual carbs you want to conduct as much heat from the head into the manifold as you can, the single hole metal ones are best for that, use a phenolic isolator under the carb itself, but metal on metal at the heads. It shouldn't alter the geometry enough that you can't readjust.
In a perfect world the extra heat would help with the single Progressive runners as well, but the flanges on those runners just aren't up to the task.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

You can just use a thin smear of high temperature silicone between the heads and the manifold. This will give the highest level of heat transfer between the heads and the manifolds while making up for any irregularities. You don't want to have any silicone squirting into the airways when you do this as it will disrupt air flow. One way to do this is to put the silicone on the manifold surface, install the manifold, and snug it down. Now remove and scrape off any silicone that squished to the inside and reinstall.

Not sure why BD said to use a phenolic gasket between the carb and in the intake as there is almost no difference in their temps on most any progressive carb setups out there.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

And since you all up in that. I don't recommend you use either the black or red EMPI intake boots (sleeve). I had a set of those fail within a week. Use something heavy duty like these for FI Vans. Not saying to use the ones in the link. But ones that will fit. Sorry I don't recall diameter and specifics. I had an ACVW shop in town hand them to me. They are beefy and strong. I've run several thousand miles with them. No problem. If someone here doesn't know the proper diameter and specs. I can call the shop and find out for you.

Remember this link is just for reference. I only remember dude telling me they are used on Fuel injected Vanagon's. But they look like what's in the link. Wildthings will know the best stuff to use.

http://www.busdepot.com/043133241

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Remember this link is just for reference. I only remember dude telling me they are used on Fuel injected Vanagon's. But they look like what's in the link. Wildthings will know the best stuff to use.

http://www.busdepot.com/043133241

If someone made a reinforced boot for a 1600 Type 1 manifold it would be great. Wink

I don't pretend to know the best Type 1 replacement boot, but would recommend buying from a top of the line vendor, like CB Performance or J Bugs. I see that J Bug offers a kit with two urethane boots and the necessary clamps to do a 1600 Type 1 engine. Can't say that these are good or bad, but I would be tempted to try them.

http://www.jbugs.com/product/113198729B.html

Looks like Mamotorworks has urethane boot kits that also include the manifold gaskets, but they are on back order at present. Wink
These are listed as being EMPI brand though. Crying or Very sad

http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/red-urethane-intake-manifold-boots-with-clamps-pair-321167
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Not sure why BD said to use a phenolic gasket between the carb and in the intake as there is almost no difference in their temps on most any progressive carb setups out there.

That was in reply to Rastomas' question regarding duals, the single centermount doesn't need it.

Слава Україні!
rastomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

Begs the question (for me) why were the spacers only for FI?

'74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

rastomas wrote:

Because the injectors don't like getting hot and being mounted close to the heads results in a heat soak when you shut it off. Carbed manifolds need to be warm so the vaporized fuel remains a vapor and even evaporates more on it's way to the cylinder, FI breaks the fuel up finer and squirts it directly onto the hot valve, no need for a hot runner.

Слава Україні!
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

Does any know where I can get thinner metal gaskets which I was told in a different thread I need for a 1975 bay window I'm installing a set of Weber dual carbs on? thanks
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
rastomas wrote:

Because the injectors don't like getting hot and being mounted close to the heads results in a heat soak when you shut it off. Carbed manifolds need to be warm so the vaporized fuel remains a vapor and even evaporates more on it's way to the cylinder, FI breaks the fuel up finer and squirts it directly onto the hot valve, no need for a hot runner.

No...actually the injectors do not make ANY contact with the manifolds at all. The injector tip seal and rubber mounting grommet insure that they dont.

The phenolic part is purely a spacer for injector aim and distance from the valve.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
rastomas wrote:

No...actually the injectors do not make ANY contact with the manifolds at all. The injector tip seal and rubber mounting grommet insure that they dont.

The phenolic part is purely a spacer for injector aim and distance from the valve.
Ray

If this were true, then VW would have just resigned the manifold to allow this to happen using only a thin gasket. The thick and relatively expensive insulating gasket is there to do something and that something it likely to keep the temperatures of the manifolds down.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: