Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
SGKent wrote:

My take is the classic auctions are so full of restorations right now prices are falling like a rock.

this is very true

Kissimmee was an eye opener for my buddy.....80-100K cars selling for 30-50K

"flipper" junk buses in the 15-20K range.

I agree.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

You guys are a bunch of negative Nancys. Rolling Eyes

People pay for the other vehicles I mentioned on the first page or those companies wouldn't exist. Would people line up to pay for buses at high prices.... maybe not. But I bet there would be some people who would. Maybe enough to keep a low volume company in business.
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:

People pay for the other vehicles I mentioned on the first page or those companies wouldn't exist. Would people line up to pay for buses at high prices.... maybe not. But I bet there would be some people who would. Maybe enough to keep a low volume company in business.

I agree with you...

If you were to offer all of the luxury camping amenities of a Ram, Ford, or Mercedes van in a retro package, like a bus, but with a modern drivetrain...I could see a niche market.

Former hippies turned yuppies would probably love it.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:

Those companies like GM - and being able to buy a new 69 Convertible Camaro have big $ behind them either in personal investment or corporate brand backing.

VW wants nothing to do with you or their old product. Unlike Mercedes which has a thriving company backed - old pats reproduction program, VW shut the door the days after they ceased production on your particular vehicle.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

I think you are missing the point. GM, Dodge, Ford, VW etc aren't backing the companies that I mentioned.

We are talking about someone buying the molds and machinery to make very small batches or low volumes of vehicles for customers who would be paying up front for the vehicle.

The companies I linked to are independent companies that are building new vehicles in the likeness of the classics. Many of them are completely modernized while retaining the classic bodies and features that make them a classic. Example: It is called the ICON BR not the Ford Bronco resto-moded by ICON.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

Just in case you are to lazy to jump back to the first page here are the examples again......

Power Wagon:
http://www.legacyclassictrucks.com/

Mustangs:
http://revologycars.com/

Broncos:
http://www.icon4x4.com/br
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:
Just in case you are to lazy to jump back to the first page here are the examples again......

Power Wagon:
http://www.legacyclassictrucks.com/

Mustangs:

Broncos:
http://www.icon4x4.com/br

I was to lazy to read it all. I dint realize they were not affiliated. Thanks for pointing that out.

I personally would much rather buy a Retro Modern Power Wagon than a Bus for the bad ass feeling you already announced.

What I don't think you are grasping is the immense juggernaut of an industry around the vehicles you point out both by the manufacture and SEMA Accessory based components.

A shitty old 73 Bus has none of that. Hell a cool 55 23 Window barndoor has none of that. For as neat of an idea it would be to have it, I don't see it being a profitable venture for the fool willing to start it up. Go get it going and prove me wrong, please. As more ACVW presence in the market would be good for everyone.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

Maybe we could start a Go-Fund me? Razz
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

I wouldn't even want to comprehend what it would cost to build all the body stamping dies required to stamp out a "new" VW bus. I know the cost would be prohibitive for sure. There simply isn't a big enough "niche" market to support it like there is with the classic mustangs or camaros.

Everyone wonders what VW of Mexico did w/their body dies after they stopped production of the beetle. You would of thought a large aftermarket body panel company would of tried to buy them to keep fresh "correct" body panels available. The same w/the stamps for the bays in Brazil. My bet is they were scrapped when production stopped.

The other factor is there still thousands and thousands of unloved bay buses out there that could be bought and refurbished. Hell, they could even upgrade the buses w/Subaru engines and transmissions for faster freeway speeds. They could also install modern camper interiors in them, etc.. The problem is there not a big enough market of people wanting to drop the kind of money it would take to buy this refurbished bus. Mint late Westphalias can reach $40k plus. I'd imagine the price point of this new modern refurbished bus would be much more than that.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

They probably scrapped the dies. I'm pretty sure that's what VW did to all of the dies when they were done with them.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
They probably scrapped the dies. I'm pretty sure that's what VW did to all of the dies when they were done with them.

I've said it many times. VW does not give a shit about their older cars. They are not on the business of keeping their legacy going other than self promoting wishy washy videos of the bus ending production.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

My whole thought with this thread wasn't to actually manufacture new bay windows from scratch.

You could take a late model Brazilian bay shell '98+ essentially "remanufacture" it and make it similar to a 70's era US-spec bay in terms of appearance. It would certainly save on the cost of rust repairing/prepping the crusty bay windows we have here.

I don't think you could use the VW name but I'm pretty sure once it's undergone a manufacturing process that would entitle it to a new VIN with a new company. I assume you'd have to import shells and not complete vehicles...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:

yes, and there is a market for it...those guys build epic cars out of the shells...

if it were profitable or vw people would pay, it would be done....gerson stopped making parts for bays....why?

VW PEOPLE ARE CHEAP BASTARDS

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

[quote="skills@eurocarsplus"]
Ives676 wrote:
....gerson stopped making parts for bays....

Not so, we should see some really nice noses come springtime. Wink
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

yes, and there is a market for it...those guys build epic cars out of the shells...

if it were profitable or vw people would pay, it would be done....gerson stopped making parts for bays....why?

VW PEOPLE ARE CHEAP BASTARDS

I would think the VW people who would be willing to pay for this would be the same crowd that can afford the Raby specials and your own Subaru swap. People who have money and like something enough to spend that money.

We can hope and wish all day. It would be cool but like others have said the dies are probably scrap at this point.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:
I would think the VW people who would be willing to pay for this would be the same crowd that can afford the Raby specials and your own Subaru swap.

That is a very small crowd. Why do you think Raby got out of it? He's a smart guy and follows the money. As far as Skills conversion, it takes a special breed for his services. He does have a client base, but they are not lining up like he's selling elephant ears at the fair concession stand.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

indeed...

very narrow market no matter how good the product is. working on/for ANY car that is deemed a "hobby" or "enthusiast" is a sure way to go to bed hungry every night

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:

I would think the VW people who would be willing to pay for this would be the same crowd that can afford the Raby specials and your own Subaru swap. People who have money and like something enough to spend that money.

Did you see the starting prices for the Mustang repros?

Mustangs:

Click on the "Prices" link - the base vehicle before the modern fancy options is $165,000. That new Low volume replica mustang is at least $200K - and I only looked at the cheapest model.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

Based on the Mustangs, it looks like you do need the company to license the product - Ford has licensed the use.

I doubt VW would do the same.

For Bays, even if it were possible to get the licensing, the cost of the vehicle would probably not be worth it vs buying a mint restored/modified original.

For splits it might start being closer.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Low Volume Replica Law ...Bay Windows? Reply with quote

Delorean had all the parts except for nosepieces , I think there was a septum problem with those
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: