Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

The little triangle above the horizontal line is where the front wheels pull forward. "On" the graph's horizontal line is the threshold road curve where front is in balance with rear wheel spin and zero torque is transferred to the front tires. Below the horizontal line is where the steering wheel is turned enough to cause fronts to "brake".
Left or right of the vertical line represents steering wheel rotation and on the vertical line is straight ahead.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

DJKeev this is why I started a NEW THREAD. Plus the OP doesn't want this in his topic (and Jon_S too) but we're in an armwrestle and he's reluctantly mumbling 'uncle'. Jon's unrepentant.

OK back to page 1. ......

Sodo wrote:

==== Back to the crosswind stability subject =====

Let's say it takes 100HP at the wheels to push this brick thru still air at 75MPH. Lets say there is 3% slippage on the ever-renewing contact patches between tires and asphalt.

2WD: A gust hitting this big box will certainly scoot the rear end sideways. Requiring a "correction" on the steering wheel. Its probably a countersteer.

AWD/VC: There is a power division between the front and rear. Lets say with a VC the rear is slipping 2% and the front is slipping 1%. The ass-end shoves sideways a little less, and the front goes the same way, so less steering wheel input is required to maintain a straight line.

4WD: Theoretically EQUAL power division, 1.5% betw front/rear. Gust scoots the van in this slippage, equally, requiring the minimum steering input for correction (if any). Driver reports that the van feels most stable or "settles down".

OK lets discuss it using these fake numbers, just because "they're easy numbers", all different values but you know what they're attributed to. I suspect real numbers could be half or 25% of these, but we'll get there when we get there (if ever).

So can we use a wild assumption that:
The brick requires 3% slippage for two rear mud tires to push the van
at 75MPH on some kind of pavement in still air?

Deja Vu we are back at page 1. Cool Cool

2WD: 3% slippage
AWD/VC: 2% rear, 1% front slippage
4WD: 1.5% slippage rear and 1.5% slippage front

OK armed with alternative facts 3/2/1/1.5 we're gonna make america great again.
Be careful not to commit these numbers to memory they are for convenience only.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

Ah, not so fast on those slippage figures.

The only ones you've posted so far showed much less slippage than that, and THAT was achieved at an acceleration level that the Vanagon can probably not achieve. What we should rightly be looking at is steady state 70mph figures.

You just stacked the deck with the least grippiest type tires (Mud terrain), used slippage numbers for a more powerful car, and that car is accelerating very briskly. Right? The most slippage you can possibly get away with to start the conversation.

I assume we are talking about a Syncro with a locked solid shaft that is doing 70mph steady state and encounters side wind strong enough to cause it to shift around and the owner says "Hmm, I think I'll lock up the decoupler so that whenever I get pushed around and steer the front tires will brake ever so slightly and stabilize me with 4 contact patches under tension." So I think we need to start with numbers that are much closer to that scenario. Steady state.

Further, and I admit this is a side show, you put red lines through those graphs a few pages back, and interpreted them with those lines. The second acceleration's slip data is not that different from the first grouping at lower speeds but you intentionally just nicked the top of the data group up high at 3% and declared that group "3% slip". And its important to know - was this car's data a FWD or a RWD because the slip of a FWD is much higher. Statistically, since some 90% of cars these days are FWD, that's from a FWD car.

Might I suggest we look for slip data for a RWD car at steady state freeway speeds? Then we will arm wrestle over small variables like tire type, etc.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

I too could never find any information about tire slipping on a Vanagon. I can't imagine it is anywhere near the examples shown for 2wd vehicles. It weighs to much and has much less horsepower than autos today. Just my thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

Doug,
Sodo admitted he thought the number was high at 3% and that this was an easy number to divide for ease of understanding (which I think is a good idea considering it took 10 pages to get here).
No one claims 3% is accurate and we won't let it become a default just to win an argument. Using 1.863% slippage for example will not be fun to play with. Let's move on.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
You just stacked the deck with the least grippiest type tires (Mud terrain), used slippage numbers for a more powerful car, and that car is accelerating very briskly. Right? The most slippage you can possibly get away with to start the conversation.

3/2/1 is for convenience, not to make america great again. As stated maybe 5x by now. We may come across better numbers and by then we'll know how to use them.

The only solid-shaft van's I've ever seen had mud tires, so it's not stacking the deck, it's what people wanna KNOW. You seem to get uncomfortable with the notion that slippage is a contributor and want small numbers. That's OK you can use small slippage numbers for tacky autocross tires on your solid-shaft Syncro but I think most wanna know about knobbies.

IdahoDoug wrote:
I assume we are talking about a Syncro with a locked solid shaft that is doing 70mph steady state and encounters side wind strong enough to cause it to shift around and the owner says "Hmm, I think I'll lock up the decoupler so that whenever I get pushed around and steer the front tires will brake ever so slightly and stabilize me with 4 contact patches under tension." So I think we need to start with numbers that are much closer to that scenario. Steady state.

Here's the premise from GoWesty's tech article http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=19.

Quote:
When driving my '87 Wolfsburg Syncro Westy weekender on the highway at 75 mph, and I hit a stiff cross wind, I just reach down and pull the middle knob, and viola! It settles the van right down. It is simply the best of both worlds. But, just like with the use of the factory rear locker (when so equipped), caution must be exercised when negotiating tight maneuvers on dry pavement to keep from breaking an axle, CV joint, or drive shaft U-joint since there is no longer a device (viscous coupler) that allows for slippage.

Basically, it comes down to common sense. I mean, why would anyone want to pull any of the knobs on dry pavement in a situation where you needed to perform tight maneuvers?

No reason to change the premise, it's a perfect discussion topic provided by a guy who has a huge amount of Syncro experience and expertise. You're the one who pointed it out and made an assertion and we accepted the invitation to discussion so let's go. It's interesting..

IdahoDoug wrote:
Further, and I admit this is a side show, you put red lines through those graphs a few pages back, and interpreted them with those lines. The second acceleration's slip data is not that different from the first grouping at lower speeds but you intentionally just nicked the top of the data group up high at 3% and declared that group "3% slip". And its important to know - was this car's data a FWD or a RWD because the slip of a FWD is much higher. Statistically, since some 90% of cars these days are FWD, that's from a FWD car.

OK that helps you then. Good, I was feeling a little spunky for awhile there. BTW, the lines are simply extensions of -1, 1 and 2, sorry to mislead you.

IdahoDoug wrote:
Might I suggest we look for slip data for a RWD car at steady state freeway speeds? Then we will arm wrestle over small variables like tire type, etc.

Excellent idea, lets just discuss the physics and when we get the numbers we'll work them in. You can waggle a finger for not locking up with sticky autocross tires and I will say maybe its OK with mud tires and everyone will know reality is somewhere between.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

BTW is this how the Mutha Decoupla thread went? This makes it difficult sort of.

Why cant we just "go after it" and talk about Syncros, bring whatever you can that pushes forward to gain deeper understanding. Why does any deck need stacking? Why are we suppressing slippage? Why would you WANT the conclusion to be one way or the other? Don't we just want the truth, to make the best decisions?

The Mutha Decoupla thread might have some good info but I am afraid of opening it.

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

Sodo,

Good point and I agree completely. I think we all want "practical science" here versus splitting of hairs. My whacking you with a wet noodle on the 3% is because that's crazy slippage. I don't have the studies we built, and I statistically analyzed and wrote the reports on, but I recall slippage of steady state driving that was not even a single digit. Fractions.

Stop and think what even 1% means. That means for every 100 turns (600 feet) the driven tire slips one full revolution. That's 10 full slipping revolutions in a mile. In Tom's 600 mile trip for fun with the center locked, that is 6000 full revolutions!! There is no accounting for that wear as "at higher speeds the tire is able to better account for slip". No sir. That is massive wear. And remember, that means both rear tires are slipping like that. BOTH OF THEM.

So the 3% slippage you want to start with means in the length of a football field both rear tires slip a full revolution. 20 full slipping revolutions in each mile.

I don't want to be splitting hairs here, but if you won't allow my experience to guide things into a reasonable range to discuss then you are going to waste a lot of time. I know how these threads go and we've just witnessed it. I clearly showed that the entire motoring world says "Don't drive a vehicle with locked axles on pavement because the dragging front tires cause dangerous binding in the drive train because on a curve the fronts MUST rotate faster than the rears". Then you started the new thread on slippage by confidently stating that you drive with your front wheels pulling on dry pavement. Which means you "forgot" that your front wheels go faster than your rears on normal dry pavement already.

If I ignore the 3%, by page 5 on this thread, 3% will have become the defacto number. It's not. Nowhere near that number - I promise you.

Let's talk about slippage. Nobody has slippage numbers yet and I hope to have some time to look around the net tonight. But starting at 3% is well beyond the realm of reality for steady state driving. I don't even think a Vanagon doing a quarter mile race including dumping the clutch at redline on each shift can rotate the rear tires 5 full revolutions on a 1/4 mile drag strip. Do you? That's what 3% looks like.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

I remember watching these previously and found them again. For those of us that are not "engineers" it will give some background as to what will be talked about.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6R7zR4ZbGkMVF_-Tdb4BFrpuoavxGT3I

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbMVogVj5nJTW50jj9_gvJmdwFWHaqR5J

Grab a bag and enjoy the videos.

Popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Let's talk about slippage.

Yes, lets. Certainly the number will be smaller than 3%. Dang I was trying to make it easier to grasp with the convenient 3/2/1/1.5 numbers.

How about this. Is anyone in favor of running those numbers for ease of discussion. And then trusting Doug to provide the real numbers for (for BFG A/T KO2 tires). Cool Cool

IdahoDoug wrote:
I don't want to be splitting hairs here, but if you won't allow my experience to guide things into a reasonable range to discuss then you are going to waste a lot of time.

I was on slippage at post #2, now we're on page 10. What the heck wasted all that time? Was it trying to get the discussion out of the parking lot and onto a 75 MPH freeway?

Slippage is a key factor in the electric car industry where cars are rated in miles per charge. Slippage is miles lost. Numbers for high-efficiency tires can be had I think. But anyway lets take whatever we can get.

The burnout example is not representative. It's unfair to mislead or confuse Samba members like that.

The slippage is a "walking, incremental progression" that is a "loss" in the transfer of force across the tire-to-asphalt interface. Each rubber knob comes down, and progressively compresses (shortens) as it contacts the roadway and starts to transmit it's rearward force. Then it lengthens again as it lifts up off the road. 16 times per second. The incremental distance losses are tiny but the numbers are high - it adds up, and is far more significant with mud tires than street tires.

Thats why you see tires with a continuous tread, it's to increase fuel efficiency. It's unlikely that mud tires are tested on asphalt for efficiency. But people DO test fuel mileage losses due to mud tires, which we know to be on the order of 15%. How much of that 15% is slippage?

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

So I say 1% slippage for driving at a steady 70mph would be still unreasonable on a RWD vehicle with extremely low power, and the weight of the engine atop the drive wheels and the air pressure of traveling with a flat tall front end at 70 transferring yet more weight onto the drive wheels (giving them better traction/less slip). The Vanagon could rightly be called the poster boy for low tire slip.

However, you like 3% which as I pointed out is 30 full tire revolutions per mile at steady state 70mph.

So lets compromise at a crazy 20 revolutions per mile or 2% slip.

Also, you keep using 75mph and I keep using 70mph. Pick one and git er done.

Doug

PS - the burnout example of a quarter mile run was not intended to confuse. It was to explain my point that a Vanagon under its full acceleration probably cannot turn the tires 5 revolutions in a quarter mile, much less driving at 70 steady state. And yes I realize since you want 75mph it is closer to the Vanagon's max HP while its steady state cruising, but I'm in a charitable mood. Next you're going to nick me with a requirement that the Syncro be empty of fuel, be a nonWesty, and have no cargo aboard in the luggage area to reduce static friction..... Heh, heh, heh......
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

OK, I'm not getting it to compute and it looks like you guys are right.

At a circle 5 miles in diameter, the Vanagon would have to have the fronts describe a circle 264 feet larger in radius in order to make my contention work at 2% rear wheel slip true. Not happening.

At a circle 1 mile in diameter, the fronts would have to describe a circle 53 feet larger at 2% wheel slip. Also not happening.

At a circle 1000 feet in diameter, the fronts would have to describe a circle 10 feet larger at 2% slip. Still not happening.

At a circle clear down at 300 feet in diameter, the fronts would have to describe a circle 3 feet larger at 2% slip. Still not happening.

Its not until we get down to a circle 50 feet in diameter that the circle is tight enough that 2% slip would cause binding. Meaning the circumference of the circle the fronts describe is 2% longer and the radius is 1 foot larger than the circle the rears describe. That's doable on paper. How'd you guys do? I can't find my HP and doing this the normal way is killing me!
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

I would submit that if he experienced worn tires on a drive with his shaft locked, we know two undeniable things: ....

Just chirping in here ..... Tom told me years ago after his testing that the tires absorbed virtually all the stress, not his drivetrain. To the best of my knowledge he's still using that same drivetrain today (unless he snuck in some adjustments and upgrades). I still haven't been able to contact him yet to confirm, but to me if true it's a testament.

Rear wheel slippage --- it's always happening at highway speeds no matter the magnitude. In that VC manifesto thread, documentation was provided where VoG suggests as much in their testing. The reasons why have been covered in same.

PhotogDave --- alternative (syncro) facts --- good one Laughing
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

I will be really surprised if tire/asphalt/atspeed interface has an efficiency of power transfer better than 98% (= 2% slippage), and more surprised if better than 99% at 70mph. But I have nothing to go on - just a hunch (for now). The equations show more speed = increased slippage.

Need someone to measure the curve radius of the "1/4 steering wheel turn". Not that it applies to the highway discussion, but it's in the original GoWesty paper. We're not doing tight turns though we're on the freeway. And nobody's turning 1/4 turn at 75MPH - certainly not twice in the same van. Shocked

jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

So lets compromise at a crazy 20 revolutions per mile or 2% slip.

IdahoDoug wrote:
OK, I'm not getting it to compute...

When you use data that you know is wrong, %2, the numbers don't work, but we know tires get hot when driven locked up on dry pavement, if going around slight corners only reduces the front tire slip the tires wouldn't get hot.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)

Last edited by jackbombay on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

..... if you won't allow my experience to guide things into a reasonable range to discuss then you are going to waste a lot of time.

....... I clearly showed that the entire motoring world says "Don't drive a vehicle with locked axles on pavement because the dragging front tires cause dangerous binding in the drive train.

I just conducted a liitle phone interview with the elusive Tom Lengyel. He was hiding out at his daughters house. I asked about the long drive with the solid shaft locked. He drove from Portland to the Syncro deMayo event (Hollister, CA) all locked-up, crushed every VC van (performance-wise) because he was the only one in the USA with a solid shaft. Then drove home locked too. This time wanting more of a test so drove the smaller roads home, many curvy roads. So it was 1200 miles not 600.

He said it was his perception that it used more fuel and wore the tires. He did not measure anything but noted the front tires looked like they wore funny. It's his feeling that the tires contact with the ground are the limiting factor not the drivetrain.

------- EDIT -------
Tom clarified that "In the 25,000 miles the front tires wore about twice as fast as the rear tires".
---------------------

Then he decided to manufacture the solid shaft couplers. So he decided (knowing / hearing / feeling all the same things Doug is asserting) ---> that before he can recommend this to his 'customers' that he should drive his own van a full 25,000 miles with it first. So he made a "rule" to lock it whenever he's NOT in downtown, or parking or making 90d turns. So for 25,000 miles it was locked as often as reasonable, to get 25,000 hard miles. During a significant portion of every single day, anytime not in town or maneuvering, it was locked. Every drive to the beach, curvy mountain roads. Always flicking the decoupler in and out, and watching the delay on the little green light, which tells you the moment that driveline binding has dissipated.

Not sparingly. He locks it at the drop of a hat, raining, snow, ice, dry.

He said he's still running the same CVs as went to Hollister, and the trans has never been apart.

He said every person who has a solid shaft (and decoupler) can tell when their driveline is bound up by watching the de-coupler delay. You push the knob, and when the green light goes OFF, it has disconnected. Consequently every solid shaft owner learns how quickly the "binding" is released. You only have to let up on the throttle, even in turns it will uncouple if you let up on the throttle.

Tom bought a 1986 syncro off the showroom floor, and it has 589,000 miles now. He has another with 400,000 miles and sold one that he drove 180,000 miles. He has unbolted and reinstalled every part on Syncros. He said he is more in tune than most people with Syncros, having more than 1 million miles in Syncros.

I wondered if he has more Syncro experience than anyone in the USA. And who the heck ELSE i would ask about this, if Tom Lengyel AND Lucas (GoWesty) say that it's not "certain drivetrain damage" to lock up on pavement (sensibly).

Well there you have it. I think you fellers will be OK with your Sport VCs. My worry level has dropped a few notches.

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I just conducted a liitle phone interview with the elusive Tom Lengyel. ....

Whew ... glad my memory was accurate except he did even more testing than I knew.

And yes, I think Tom is quite possibly the most experienced in all things syncro in NA and even beyond. He's driven in Europe as well. And ... he has more than a couple of syncros Wink
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

Doug doesn't love us anymore. Sad
Or he's out shopping for his own Utilikilt. Laughing Laughing
Doug lets see a pic in your Utilikilt, with a squirtgun in your sock.
Wait...... scratch that! Shocked Shocked

jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Tom Lengyel AND Lucas (GoWesty) say that it's not "certain drivetrain damage" to lock up on pavement

Nobody has claimed it is "certain drivetrain damage" to lock up on pavement, but it will reduce the life of driveline components, if tires are hot, that means there is more load on the drivetrain. The tires being the "weak link" means they will slip before driveline parts break, it doesn't mean the driveline doesn't experience higher load while locked than not locked.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Locking up a solid shaft Syncro for crosswind stability? Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
Sodo wrote:
Tom Lengyel AND Lucas (GoWesty) say that it's not "certain drivetrain damage" to lock up on pavement

Nobody has claimed it is "certain drivetrain damage" to lock up on pavement, but it will reduce the life of driveline components, if tires are hot, that means there is more load on the drivetrain. The tires being the "weak link" means they will slip before driveline parts break, it doesn't mean the driveline doesn't experience higher load while locked than not locked.

Tires are not the "weak link", but traction is an important variable. Tires stress HARD on the driveline at parking speeds/angles but at high speed the incremental connection to the roadway offers a continual relaxation of binding. It can't build up. Slippage increases with speed (as in every physics/dynamics/engineering equation of tire-to-roadway adhesion) and at some speed, accommodates the front/rear axles "disagreement".

The binding is released continually at speed.
I've been trying to explain this since post#3 of this thread.
And apparently Raoul gave it his best in the 45 page Mutha Decoupla thread. (and perhaps others too)

I am afeard to start reading that thread, but I might someday. It's always a pleasure to learn something new.

Don't confuse relaxation of binding at speed with parking speed 4WD binding. When speed is low, slippage is low (=traction is high). When turn angles are sharp, axle disagreement is "sharp" too. Shocked The "LOCKED 4WD parking issue" is on the FAR other end of the spectrum, a completely different drivetrain loading scenario.

GoWesty recommends to lock a solid-shaft Syncro sparingly and sensibly. Probably because he knows of Tom Lengyel's brash 25,000 mile test. Now we know too, right? Sorry it took 11 pages.

And, I might add, enjoying this "crosswind" benefit costs far less than the Syncro tax. To those paying "the Syncro tax" and declining the benefits, I submit THAT act is most costly - loss of use is incalculable. If you have a Syncro, you should enjoy the increased crosswind stability. Just read the VC/Rocks! thread to get an idea what "loss of use" can cost a Syncro taxpayer. This "cost" (a loss Shocked ) is not in dollars.

I understand the concern. Shocked Like all Syncro owners, I'm looking for any way to stack the deck in my favor. You do what you can, to preserve your antique. I have almost double the HP of the WBX going thru my drivetrain, which could be the bigger fish to fry. So I'm on the gear oil squirting/cooling/filtering program. Wink Wink

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: