Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
simonvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

Drove my '64 yesterday, no issues. Parked up, checked engine bay as I always do, again looked fine. Got up this morning and there was a really strong smell of gas in the garage. Looked under the bus, gas leak on the floor. In the engine bay, the fuel pump looks to be the source of the leak - it's saturated in gas, fuel all around the base of the pump, around the seals, both fuel lines (new lines 2 months ago) even seems to be sweating out of the top of the pump!
Could there be a pressure build up somehow forcing the gas out of the pump? It's an OG pump rebuilt by the PO.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

simonvdub wrote:
Drove my '64 yesterday, no issues. Parked up, checked engine bay as I always do, again looked fine. Got up this morning and there was a really strong smell of gas in the garage. Looked under the bus, gas leak on the floor. In the engine bay, the fuel pump looks to be the source of the leak - it's saturated in gas, fuel all around the base of the pump, around the seals, both fuel lines (new lines 2 months ago) even seems to be sweating out of the top of the pump!
Could there be a pressure build up somehow forcing the gas out of the pump? It's an OG pump rebuilt by the PO.

If you pull the dipstick is the level way high, oil thinned, and real gassy smelling?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

simonvdub wrote:

No. If it is leaking out of the top it is most likely needing the top of the fuel pump carefully checked for screw tightness or a new diaphragm or gasket, depending on whether you have a 40 HP or 1500 or other model of fuel pump.

Do beware of over tightening those screw/s or risk stripping out the threads in the body of the fuel pump. Better to replace a diaphragm or gasket then to destroy a good fuel pump.

Post an image of the fuel pump.
simonvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
simonvdub wrote:

If you pull the dipstick is the level way high, oil thinned, and real gassy smelling?

No. Oil level is fine and not thinned or gassy smelling.
simonvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
simonvdub wrote:

No. If it is leaking out of the top it is most likely needing the top of the fuel pump carefully checked for screw tightness or a new diaphragm or gasket, depending on whether you have a 40 HP or 1500 or other model of fuel pump.

Do beware of over tightening those screw/s or risk stripping out the threads in the body of the fuel pump. Better to replace a diaphragm or gasket then to destroy a good fuel pump.

Post an image of the fuel pump.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's gas coming out of the lines, gasket, etc.

I assume I can remove the pump without pulling the engine but will have to move the generator out of the way.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

Well that fuel pump is not OG!

Might try tightening the center bolt a tad and see if that seals it up, but suspect the upper fuel line is leaking.

Probably will not need to remove the alternator to get the fuel pump out if need be.

Do get a 1500/1600 OG fuel pump sometime soon.
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

That looks like a fuel pump for an engine that should have a generator set up not an alternator set up. It also looks like the fuel lines are larger than the fittings on the fuel pump so you are going to have leaks just because the clamps arent going to hold it very well.

Alternator pump

Generator pump
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

Nice safety wire.

That looks like 1/4 inch fuel line; in my experience, if you don't have the clamps tightened down really well they will leak. Looks like the clamps are bottomed out. Use a smaller clamp, and/or a smaller fuel line. I like to use 3/16 inch line. This is assuming that fuel pump has stock sized fittings.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
simonvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Well that fuel pump is not OG!

Might try tightening the center bolt a tad and see if that seals it up, but suspect the upper fuel line is leaking.

Probably will not need to remove the alternator to get the fuel pump out if need be.

Do get a 1500/1600 OG fuel pump sometime soon.

OK, I'm new to this (as you can probably tell!! Shocked ).

Thanks for all of the advice everyone - looks like I'm going to be replacing the fuel lines and the pump.
simonvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
Nice safety wire.

That looks like 1/4 inch fuel line; in my experience, if you don't have the clamps tightened down really well they will leak. Looks like the clamps are bottomed out. Use a smaller clamp, and/or a smaller fuel line. I like to use 3/16 inch line. This is assuming that fuel pump has stock sized fittings.

And replacing the quality safety wire Rolling Eyes
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

The pin in the pump without C-clips is known to fall out at most often the wrong time.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291330&highlight=fuel+pump+pin
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

simonvdub wrote:
StockNazi wrote:
Nice safety wire.

And replacing the quality safety wire Rolling Eyes
I use safety wire on all the pressed in fuel connections as well. Those fittings can and will pull out.

The pump you have looks fairly new; if the fuel pressure is ok and the diaphragm is not leaking it should be fine to use. Try using a smaller clamp and 3/16 inch fuel line.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Stocknazi on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

That is a high quality pump probably JP Group Classic Line Denmark Germany example http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1565706. It is exactly like OE inside and the top dome shape is the only difference in the casting. The pivot pin is knurled and the in/out pipes are threaded. You wire looks good as well as the clamps. The hoses might be suspect. See if the top bolt is loose or if the hose that is wet is loose.
simonvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
That is a high quality pump probably JP Group Classic Line Denmark Germany example http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1565706. It is exactly like OE inside and the top dome shape is the only difference in the casting. The pivot pin is knurled and the in/out pipes are threaded. You wire looks good as well as the clamps. The hoses might be suspect. See if the top bolt is loose or if the hose that is wet is loose.

That's the exact pump! The fuel lines are definitely leaking but it appears that the gasket is also. Should I try to rebuild the pump first before buying a new one?

Also, I read somewhere that you can shim the fuel pump with gaskets to reduce the pressure? Could too high a pressure be the problem? Do you think that's worth trying? I just don't understand why the pump wasn't leaking when the engine was running only after it was shut off and parked.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

Would see about getting the correct sized fuel line and it would not hurt to buy a new pump at the same time. Having spare parts on the shelf in a box makes it easier to keep your VW working.

If it was a pressure situation, then you would have had engine flooding with fuel and not running due to that.
simonvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Would see about getting the correct sized fuel line and it would not hurt to buy a new pump at the same time. Having spare parts on the shelf in a box makes it easier to keep your VW working.

If it was a pressure situation, then you would have had engine flooding with fuel and not running due to that.

OK, new lines and new pump and will see about rebuilding the old one. I have a feeling my spares box is going to be very big as time goes on Laughing

Thanks so much for all of the advice everyone - really appreciate it!!

Off I go to order the pump and lines.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

I think you should take a look at the fuel lines where they attach. I bet all that is wrong is the clamps (like StockNazi said) are not able to tighten any more as the hose has gotten squishy and/or the clamps are too big.

Here is a thread recommending a kind of hose to get http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=489732&highlight=fuel+hose although the correct size hose (as Eric&Barb recommend) is metric 5 mm as in this thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593649&highlight=fuel+hose

I doubt you need a new pump but, if you do, don't order from this guy yet http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1565706. I posted that link for the picture only. The pump you actually get has the wrong in and out ports but the photo is correct. I'm currently trying to find out what is up with his ad photo vs the shipped product. Still it is a good pump. The right number is "fuel pump 122 124 126".

Here is a place to get the pump but they list it under a different number wtf http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-127-025-DOE

Another thing is some of the pipes on the pumps have a sharp barb that should be softened with a file. I actually cut off the barb on mine and use it as a straight pipe.

Forget about the "adding gaskets theory" for now as that is not what is happening. That problem shows up at the carb needle and seat.

What is up with that little hose on the right side at the base of your carb?
simonvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
I think you should take a look at the fuel lines where they attach. I bet all that is wrong is the clamps (like StockNazi said) are not able to tighten any more as the hose has gotten squishy and/or the clamps are too big.

Here is a thread recommending a kind of hose to get http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=489732&highlight=fuel+hose although the correct size hose (as Eric&Barb recommend) is metric 5 mm as in this thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593649&highlight=fuel+hose

I doubt you need a new pump but, if you do, don't order from this guy yet http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1565706. I posted that link for the picture only. The pump you actually get has the wrong in and out ports but the photo is correct. I'm currently trying to find out what is up with his ad photo vs the shipped product. Still it is a good pump. The right number is "fuel pump 122 124 126".

Here is a place to get the pump but they list it under a different number wtf http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-127-025-DOE

Another thing is some of the pipes on the pumps have a sharp barb that should be softened with a file. I actually cut off the barb on mine and use it as a straight pipe.

Forget about the "adding gaskets theory" for now as that is not what is happening. That problem shows up at the carb needle and seat.

What is up with that little hose on the right side at the base of your carb?

Thanks for all of the links BarryL!

The fuel line says 6.35mm on it so it's definitely the wrong size as StockNazi said and I'll need smaller clamps. Maybe I'll hold off on the pump and just try the lines and clamps first.

Gaskets - OK, will leave that for now. The engine runs fine so I guess it's not a pressure problem then. Engine number starts AK so that makes it a 1973 Beetle unit according to the engine code list here on the Samba.

As for the little hose on the side of the carb, here's a better pic. There are 2 of them. They were there when I bought the bus and I have no idea what they are for.

Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

simonvdub wrote:
As for the little hose on the side of the carb, here's a better pic. There are 2 of them. They were there when I bought the bus and I have no idea what they are for.

Aren't those just home made caps for vacuum ports on the carb?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Leak!! Any ideas? Reply with quote

simonvdub wrote:

Wow! Look at that stud for the carb! I've never seen anything like that. Is it secured with silicone or JBWeld? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: