Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus Depot
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VwDubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Bus Depot Reply with quote

What a Surprise..
Recently I called Bus Depot to order and inquire about some parts.

Over many years of building and purchasing VW parts normally when doing so the many vendors can't give you technical advise apparently there only sales persons.

But recently when ordering combined items for Bay windows, and Vanagons this time a guy answered who really knew his VW Stuff. He also answered several of my technical questions. Said he use to be a VW mechanic

I think he said his name was Jay

He was a great help..
Just thought I'd spread the word that BD apparently has a technical guy. Very Happy
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Reply with quote

i have found several of the vanagon speciality venders to be knowledgable on technical issues also. if the phone is not ringing off the hook, if the counter sales are dead at the time, and all the orders processed, sometimes they can talk vanagons or vws for many minutes, other times they are so busy they can barely get your order placed before running off to next task. most of the vanagon vendors get good marks for advice over the phone if you catch them at an open time. Once and a while you get one of the new hires whos knowledge is limited, other times the head mechanic or owner picks up the phone and has decades of knowledge to share. Some times if you need detailed info and things are too busy, ask when is a good time to call back or ask for a call back from them.

keep patrionizing the good vendors!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Captjon1959
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Reply with quote

I really appreciate Bus Depot for their reasonable prices and great selection. Their website could be better (more pictures) and shipping is a little slow, but I can deal with that.
amwaj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Reply with quote

agreed, Bus Depot is good people, and good value
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Reply with quote

Captjon1959 wrote:
I really appreciate Bus Depot for their reasonable prices and great selection. Their website could be better (more pictures) and shipping is a little slow, but I can deal with that.

Bingo! ^^^^

I've often lamented (and even talked to them) about shipping times.
They're even bad when you pay extra for fast shipping........

But still, I shop there for many reasons..... shop local....
Just not when I must have it NOW!!!!! For those times I order from California....... go figure.......
pennsylvania to NJ 3-5 days minimum
Vs
California to NJ. Often 36 hours with standard shipping.
And I can drive to Pennsylvania and stand at BusDepot's door within 2 hours.

Maybe someday they'll listen?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Captjon1959 wrote:

Bingo! ^^^^

I've often lamented (and even talked to them) about shipping times.
They're even bad when you pay extra for fast shipping........

But still, I shop there for many reasons..... shop local....
Just not when I must have it NOW!!!!! For those times I order from California....... go figure.......
pennsylvania to NJ 3-5 days minimum
Vs
California to NJ. Often 36 hours with standard shipping.
And I can drive to Pennsylvania and stand at BusDepot's door within 2 hours.

Maybe someday they'll listen?

Dave

Funny, I had a good size order placed with them about 2 years ago for my bus. It didn't arrive to PHX after like 8 days. I called. A woman seemed incredulous that I expected the parts to ship the same day. I explained that all the regular vendors I use actually do ship the same day. She went on to tell me they are a small operation, limited staff, etc. Now, she wasn't rude but wasn't a relationship builder either.

I've shared that experience with Ron on a few threads since then but clearly no changes to their shipping times. I've probably spent $3k with other vendors since that last experience with BD and have not used them since.

MOST of the best VW parts vendors ship the same day you order. No one does it as good as Wolfsburg West either. Clearly I'm not the only one who probably takes their business to places other than BD because they won't ship the same day.

Americans are becoming accustomed to Amazon. Where you place your order and it's on your door 2 days later. I HATE to wait more than 2-3 days before what I ordered online arrives. You want me to wait 2-3 days BEFORE you even ship it? Now that's funny!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Reply with quote

It's unfortunate that it takes them so long to ship. I live within 2 hours of them yet parts from California arrive before busdepot even ships Sad
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Reply with quote

I get parts for my Vespa quicker from Germany than from SoCal. Usually in less than 48 hrs, at the *cheap* rate. Why shipping takes so long over here is a mystery to this ex-pat Brit!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Reply with quote

Okay, so my recent experience (last month):

I ordered on a Friday evening 1/13. As you would expect it did not ship until Monday 1/16.

On my front porch (Arizona) at 9:30 Friday morning (1/20).

So for me - a quick shipment. Thanks Ron.

YMMV.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
...Why shipping takes so long over here is a mystery to this ex-pat Brit!

Yeah, our mail moves slowly... but our phones work.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Reply with quote

I never experienced a letter taking longer than 3 days, or being lost, by the USPS.

UPS can be slow. FedEx can be slow, and imprecise (delivery within a 2 block radius?).

If you read the reviews for the USPS at google or yelp, they all sound like cranks who would gripe about anything.
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Reply with quote

Just placed my first order with Bus Depot middle of last week. Got it Saturday, so 3 days total maybe? I'm a few states south in Tennessee. I was happy. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: