Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cutting brakes
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arnold458
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Cutting brakes Reply with quote

I need help guys. I put a new master cylinder and brake lines on my sand rail. I only have disc brakes on back. I have great pressure on the right cutting brake but my left one none. I have fluid going back to the caliper. Tried bleeding it both by the foot peddal and the steering brake and same result. Left cutting brake no pressure. When i push on the brake peddal the steering brake pressures up. When i pull on the steering brake it pushes back on the foot pedal Let off pedal and steering brake has no pressure while the right never loses pressure. Is my steering brake bad? No leakes anywhere. Fluid dont shoot out when bleeding it just dribiles.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting brakes Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a bad turning brake.

I just recently rebuilt one for a friend who was having the same issue. Several others had worked on the car with no success. I got a rebuild kit for the turning brake and put it in. Bled fine (FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!) and then worked quite well after.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Arnold458
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting brakes Reply with quote

Thanks it was throwing me off cause the only time the cutting brake would pressure is when i pump the pedal and hold it. Pull on brake and would only put pressure back to the pedal. Let off pedal cutting brake no pressure. First i thought maybe air getting in between caliper and cutting brake. If airs getting in fluid would be getting out right? Rebuild kit much cheaper then brake alone. Thanks for the help.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting brakes Reply with quote

Though it sounds like you know how to bleed your brakes just fine, I found it helpful to lift the back of my buggy off the ground a couple feet with my engine hoist and leave the bleeders cracked overnight. It helped get most of the air out of the (mainly flat) system since the M/C is at the same level as the brake calipers.

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Arnold458
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting brakes Reply with quote

Yeah at first i bled them like i would my truck. The right pressured before i even bled them. Then i thought with the cutting brake maybe im just doing it wrong so i look it up on cnc and did it exactly the way they said. Going to go ahead and by the bleed tool so maybe i wont have to hunt down one of my kids to help. Going to pull the cutting brake off tonight and see if its even worth rebuilding.
nate3923
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting brakes Reply with quote

I'm with dusty rebuild them
Arnold458
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting brakes Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks guys!
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting brakes Reply with quote

I did it with just myself... wrapped a long 1" strap around the front beam and to the brake pedal. Pull the strap slowly from the back of the car and crack the bleeder. Cool

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
Arnold458
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting brakes Reply with quote

Well i know where you get ur name from haha. What we will do to make things work. Make some people just shake there heads. I say if it works it works haha
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: