Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS !
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit_Car_Man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

Hey Guys!! Razz

I just got a VW Type3 1972!
Well, its a kit car, Australian built Condor. I really like it!
I would like to ask you guys a ENGINE question.

Currently it has a Mitubishi 4G32 1.6L engine out of a Sigma, etc.
and its bolted up to the VW gear box with a adapter plate? (VW box right?)

My question is: What would be a good engine UPGRADE? something that will bolt in nicely. Can I use the existing Adapter Plate? or Can I get another one with a different engine? Question Smile

SO, what engine upgrade would you recommend just to give it a bit more power and acceleration? I'm looking at a reasonably simple swap.. I don't mind wiring or so, just don't want a HUGE project... thanks a lot!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

That is a good looking ride!

The GM EcoTecs come in several HP versions and are cheap to get. 140 horse and up, and you can even get them factory supercharged that go well over 200 horse. It will require a different adapter, but you very well may be able to sell your adapter and engine to off set a lot of that cost.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

Subaru turbo. Since you're in Australia, search the forums here for SubaruGears, as they, too, are in Aussieland. Todd could hook you up with a Suby transmission to go with the engine that will take full advantage of the hp and torque.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

Second the Subaru 2.0L/2.5L engine. No need for turbo. Wiring is complicated but you can buy converted harnesses. A/C and heat --- plus FI.
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

You know I really like engine conversions on kit cars....however you've already got one....so before I would go swapping out that set-up that is an obvious runner you should check the "heritage" on that motor. I think that same motor was later offered as a 1.8 and maybe even a 2.0. And then there is the Mitsubishi factor...they were into turbos a lot earlier than most car companies so there could even some kind of larger displacement turbo that would swap right in with your adapter plate. That might get you into the 160 to 200 h.p. range which makes for a very lively kit car like yours.....
Just did a little quick search and yes, there were turbo versions of it later....this is the turbo...
http://www.diamonddiesel.com/turbo-for-mitsubishi-...9171-01201
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

No one has suggested the obvious choice: a hot air cooled type 1 VW engine. It would be simplest from the installation, wiring and plumbing standpoint, and will bolt right up to the existing transmission. 150+ hp can be reliably built, and I'd venture that the overall cost would be lower than some of the other alternatives, even with a very stout VW build. Since the body type is so sexy, I'd go with a hot turbo charged 2 liter+ motor. A few ideas can be seen on this page:
http://www.cbperformance.com/category-s/352.htm
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

I'm pretty much a VW guy all the way. But the fact that the OP's car already has a cooling system in it for a water cooled engine has me leaning toward a Subaru transplant of some kind. Probably with the accompanying 5 speed. Especially since I'm spending his money instead of mine! Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Kit_Car_Man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

Hey Guys!
thanks for your info!

So.... as I already have a Mitsubishi engine in there and a Adapter Plate for it.
Would it be Easier to put in another Mitsubishi engine?

What Mitsubishi engine would you recommend?

I just cant decide what to do...? The engine is very low on power....
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

And that's exactly what I was saying.... Problem is you'll need to do some research since you are "down under" to see just which Mitsubishi motors use that same bolt pattern. In the U.S. I think our later Galant series cars may have gone all the way up to a 2.0 or even 2.5 liter before V6 cars became more popular. Might try and find some online Mitsubishi hot rodding guys around you. Since I run a rotary in my kit car that's how I got a lot of things figured out when I did my adaption. I used the rotary forums for my motor and then back here for transaxles, brakes, suspension, etc.
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

Okay, tried to research this some for you. Found some obscure Mitsubishi forum information that was kind of out of date but these were considered direct swaps about 6 years ago at least.
4G11 - 1200 (1244cc)
4G12 - 1400 (1410cc)
4G13 - 1300 (1298cc)
4G15 - 1500 (1468cc)
4G16 - 1200 (1198cc)

4G52 - 2000 (1995cc)
4G54 - 2600 (2555cc)
4G55 - 2300 (2346cc)

4G32 - 1600 (1597cc)
4G33 - 1400 (1439cc)
4G36 - 1200 (1238cc)
4G37 - 1800 (1755cc)

4G61 - 1600
4G62 - 1800 (1795cc)
4G63 - 2000 (1997cc)
4G63T- 2000 tbo (1997cc)
4G64 - 2400 (2350cc)
4G67 - 1800 (1836cc)
4G69 - 2400 (2378cc)

Obviously, keep in mind the newer you get the more computer/engine wiring you'll be dealing with but I'm sure there are some carb. units on that list or something that could be adapted.
Kit_Car_Man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

SOS!!!!

so driving my 1972 Type 3 to work today...

and the drive shaft seems to have slipped in the hub?!
IT spins but its not spinning the wheel! So looks like the splines are gone!
What has to be replaced?? what part did it actually strip?
the hub or stub axle?
please let me know
I will replace the wheel bearing while im at it!
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

Pretty common to happen. You just stripped out the weaker Brake Drum Splines.

Just need to replace the drum and torque to proper specs.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Kit_Car_Man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Pretty common to happen. You just stripped out the weaker Brake Drum Splines.

Just need to replace the drum and torque to proper specs.

THANKS!
ok mine has 5 studs....? would that be the 5x 112?
SO i need a brake drum that has the 5x112 right?? and needs to have the center in it with the splines?
where can i get it nothing on ebay?!
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

A '72 Type 3 should have 4 lug drum hub like this one:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2005519

If it has been changed out to 5 lug, the pattern should be 5 X 205 mm bolt circle.

Post up a picture to verify what you have.

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

Beautiful car Cool Cool Cool
Kit_Car_Man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: BRAKE PROBLEM Reply with quote

HELP!!!
OK so today i found out my brakes stopped working a bit,....!!

It looks like my MASTER CYLINDER IS SHOT!
So I have Disc Brakes on the front and a BOOSTER too...
so what kind of a master cylinder do I need?!
my car is a Type 3 1972 VW? i know there are a few models of the cylinders?

Last edited by Kit_Car_Man on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

I have to admit, I AM a bit confused now... Think

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Kit_Car_Man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
I have to admit, I AM a bit confused now... Think

hey! as in.....? Whats wrong???
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

It looks like there's two brake master cylinders, one with a booster. To me, that's a little unusual.

mark tucker wrote:
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: my VW "Condor" Ferrari Replica - ENGINE QUESTIONS ! Reply with quote

Yep, I'd agree....2 master cylinders?????? Lost here as well....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: