Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is the future of Chinese parts?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

If a part is cast or forged in China but the machining, finishing and/or assembly is done in the US, is it still "made in China"?

How do we really define where a part is made any more?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

Someone mentioned tires from China...my experience with teres from that country sold to me from Big O Tires. I was sold a forty thousand mile tire for the truck. I only got 17,400 on the tires and they were to the wear bars. Junk. No more china stuff if at all possible.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

Usually much shorter than a worn out original part.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

This is interesting. Please keep posting theories. I like to see what folks are thinking about stuff like this.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

I would love to see the government take a more active role in keeping out counterfeit Chinese origin parts. Probably not as much as issue with VW parts but it's rampant in the electronics industry.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I would love to see the government take a more active role in keeping out counterfeit Chinese origin parts. Probably not as much as issue with VW parts but it's rampant in the electronics industry.

Yes but wouldn't that be political?
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

And in the airline industry. Shocked

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Yes but wouldn't that be political?

Everything about the discussion truthfully is rooted in politics. My guess is that if tariffs start making it difficult to import legitimate parts that even poorer quality parts will be introduced to overcome the tariffs. We'll start seeing coils imported that are hollow except for being filled with sand or something. Carbs that are cast shells with no plumbing. Buyer beware. Let's be honest in that if people put quality over price we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place. What's sad is that profit has outweighed quality even in circumstances where people are willing to pay more for quality. Take the example of stop light switches. I had what looked like a cheapo one in my car when I got it yet looked brand new. I heard of the horror stories regarding the cheap ones so I purchased a considerably more expensive "oem" brand. It lasted less than 1000 miles.

The problem isn't cheap parts, it's cheap buyers. Until we as a society get out of the Walmart frame of mind we are stuck with cheap Chinese or other third world produced parts. Perhaps though the lack of quality parts will push the refurbishment more into gear? So many of the parts, at least mechanical, seem to be capable of being rebuilt. Several people are rebuilding them as well. Or maybe a cottage community will pop up that is capable of producing small runs of better quality parts, albeit more expensive.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
This is interesting. Please keep posting theories. I like to see what folks are thinking about stuff like this.

I agree. Plus it is good for laughs in ten years. All the Predict the future threads have some good stuff in them, especially ones that mention pricing. This type of information adds value to the site.

OK. On topic and a pure guess...

The major players that have big catalogues of VW parts will want to keep selling to us as long as there's demand. If they have supply chain problems due to trade policy they will start to look to other suppliers. If we are lucky we will get better quality at a good price, but the other combinations apply.

There are a bunch of new parts being made by Samba members that my friends and I buy. I hope that the sellers here make more new parts because they are knowledgeable and have high standards. Then there are the Samba members who are original VW part restorers that put out a product better than the new chinese stuff. A few example products are replacement metal, interior panels, rebuilt carbs, rebuilt Bosch distributors, and new products like fire suppression systems.

I hope that more U.S.A made products are available. I am 100% in that camp.

Admin Edit: Off-topic attempts to derail thread with polarizing political rhetoric on healthcare and censorship were removed.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

Sh*tBird wrote:

There are a bunch of new parts being made by Samba members that my friends and I buy. I hope that the sellers here make more new parts because they are knowledgeable and have high standards. Then there are the Samba members who are original VW part restorers that put out a product better than the new chinese stuff. A few example products are replacement metal, interior panels, rebuilt carbs, rebuilt Bosch distributors,

This is very on point. Veteran classic VW owners and the newer owners are quickly figuring out that the original VW engine ancillary parts can be rebuilt to like new condition. Examples, carbs, generators, alternators, fuel pumps, distributors engine tin, etc.. All these original parts were so well made and are vastly better than any of the crap copies sold today. Volkzbitz is a great example of a someone doing good business rebuilding the original Solex carbs.

I see more "boutique" VW parts manufacturers as the years pass. They can do some runs of needed parts as NLA or used parts dry up. I personally don't see a lack any part stopping our VW's from staying on the road in the decades to come.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Sh*tBird wrote:

There are a bunch of new parts being made by Samba members that my friends and I buy. I hope that the sellers here make more new parts because they are knowledgeable and have high standards. Then there are the Samba members who are original VW part restorers that put out a product better than the new chinese stuff. A few example products are replacement metal, interior panels, rebuilt carbs, rebuilt Bosch distributors,

This is very on point. Veteran classic VW owners and the newer owners are quickly figuring out that the original VW engine ancillary parts can be rebuilt to like new condition. Examples, carbs, generators, alternators, fuel pumps, distributors engine tin, etc.. All these original parts were so well made and are vastly better than any of the crap copies sold today. Volkzbitz is a great example of a someone doing good business rebuilding the original Solex carbs.

I see more "boutique" VW parts manufacturers as the years pass. They can do some runs of needed parts as NLA or used parts dry up. I personally don't see a lack any part stopping our VW's from staying on the road in the decades to come.

Agree to a good extent.....but there is one problem that affects the ability of the botique high quality rebuild/refurb industry....two actually.....but one issue is the larger one.

That would be the issue of a steady supply of rebuildable cores. One of the issues I rant comstantly about.....that being the inherent cheapness of even the moderately attentive VW owner with regard to using a part or sub assembly until it is beyond used up.

Sometimes this is misappropriated "well meaning" and best intent of the owner.....wanting to keep a good original German part running as long as possible rather than suffering the crapulence of a cheap replacement part.

By running items like carbs, steering boxes, transmissions and engines until they are well beyond the pale.....or self delstruct......they limit or prevent the rebuildability of the core.

Too many times......it would have been better served if they had taken the part out of service and rebuilt, refurbished.....or sometimes simply relubricated and adjusted.....before it was clapped out.

Ray
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Aloha
tp

I work in the defense electronics industry and counterfeit/Chinese sourced parts are a big deal. The level of proof we have to provide to show that our hardware is legit is amazing but considering the stakes it's well worth it.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Aloha
tp

I work in the defense electronics industry and counterfeit/Chinese sourced parts are a big deal. The level of proof we have to provide to show that our hardware is legit is amazing but considering the stakes it's well worth it.

I work in the supply chain side for components and deal with this daily. It does seem to be getting better to a degree, but still a lot of landmines out there to be sure. Pun intended...
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

I think some prices are already going up.and more to fallow. thats the whole idea.and possiably some american companys will start making this stuff....and hopefuly it will be atleast as good as the chinas stuff. when i went to switzerland in december my daughters boyfriends dad works for a machining machine manufacturing company...well mostly they make grinders...real grinders, for making hardened shafts&bearings&races stuff like that. he works all around the world as they make the best machines in the world and if you need to make the best parts you need their machines,(aircraft,automotive millspec etc) they are worried that the new tarriffs will hit them hard.I think thise smallest machine is about 1million, tacking the tarriffs on that may be a deal breaker.they already had orders not sigined/finalized due to the elections. there should be some grey area...machines that put people to work should be exzempt from this...but then anything would be exzempt so....I hope he is putting the right peoples in place to help all of the world not just ......
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
....I hope he is putting the right peoples in place to help all of the world not just ......

It may be too political for this forum, but is a very good point.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

It would go a long way if we required "country of origin" markings on all packaging. Those who want to "Buy American" can make that choice, and for others the trade-off is made clear.

But as long as our laws allow misleading packaging (like saying MADE IN USA and they mean the box, not the part!), we can't make any informed choices.

Rather than slap a 20% tariff on the parts, just use an executive order to require honest "made in..." markings. And if some of the process is in country A, and other in country B, then state that!

The cost of doing so is less than 20% of the wholesale price, and we all make better decisions. Only the dishonest oppose this.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
. Only the dishonest oppose this.

Not being political and somewhat offpoint, but we are talking about a culture that has people within it counterfeiting baby formula, do you really think their conscience is going to be effected by stamping a Chinese origin part with "made in America?" Counterfeiting is a multibillion dollar business in mainland China. Again, off point a bit, but I agree there should be clearer designations regarding made in "insert country" across the board. Going back to my stop light issue, I have heard on a few occasions of persons buying "made in Germany" stop lights that were actually produced in another Eastern European country. With that said, I don't know what European origin laws are. I have several items that I purchased while in Germany and couldn't find a "made in" tag anywhere on the most if not any of them.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
. Only the dishonest oppose this.

Not being political and somewhat offpoint, but we are talking about a culture that has people within it counterfeiting baby formula, do you really think their conscience is going to be effected by stamping a Chinese origin part with "made in America?" Counterfeiting is a multibillion dollar business in mainland China. Again, off point a bit, but I agree there should be clearer designations regarding made in "insert country" across the board. Going back to my stop light issue, I have heard on a few occasions of persons buying "made in Germany" stop lights that were actually produced in another Eastern European country. With that said, I don't know what European origin laws are. I have several items that I purchased while in Germany and couldn't find a "made in" tag anywhere on the most if not any of them.

This issue of parts being made in a third world and then boxed in say Germany has become much more prevalent in the last 10 years. Parts vendors are only adding to the misleading nature by noting on their sites that they are "German". We then get the parts at our door and find they were made in China or Russia and "allegedly" boxed in Germany. I bought a VDO fuel sender from Bus Depot. Their site clearly stated the sender was made in Germany on it. When I got the sender, it was made in Brazil though it was a genuine VDO product.

I'm another voter for a much stricter accountability for businesses marking their boxes and parts as to where they were actually manufactured vs. boxed. I also think that ALL the parts vendors/sellers need to list exactly where the part was made. If the same part is made in different countries, note that in the line item comments.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

The "labeling" portion of this discussion reminds me of the issues surrounding labeling of GMO foods.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the future of Chinese parts? Reply with quote

about 5 days ago I ordered 6 wix fuel filters for my bug.... there made in usa..... when they got hear..they were made in russia Shocked so...I contacted wix Confused they have out sorced oh so much. for thier global marketing....glow ball markit ing. but they didnt say they were made in russia, he listed many places but not russia.. must ba a marketing ploy so they arnt in bed with the russions. so i gess my car will go Putin down the road now.... Rolling Eyes this will be the last of any wix products I will buy. 3x the price and the same result off shore & questionable quality. but they wernt made in china!!!! unless the russions are making a buck off of them too and buying them from china. Wink witch a a real possiability.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: