Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear bumper install
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yellowchev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I've got a 70 Baja that has a newer (not sure on the year) transaxle and I have a bolt on bumper from Chirco. When I hold it up to get an idea of how it fits, it's doesn't seem to go in as far as it should. I started looking and it looks like I have some after market brace extensions to hold the transaxle? What do I need to do to properly and securely install the bumper? I'll try and post some pics. Also, bolting the top end of this bumper into the fire wall is giving me some heartburn. Doesn't seem structurally sound. What are your thoughts?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

I would not feel comfortable with that bumper bolted to unsupported sheet metal. Been rear ended in acvws twice. One was a similar bumper but the top tubes bolted onto the top shock mounts. That one bent up and took out the push rods and tubes on one side. The next time was in a garden variety rail. Cut that in half and am still fabricating. Don't under estimate the force it could see.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

I plan on installing this Empi 9543 transmission mount, and

these rhino mounts.

The lower bumper mount will use the bolt that attaches the transmission mount to the frame horns. I'll probably have to modify the transmission mount to fit.

Something like this ...

My upper mount is a "shock mount" style rather than a "firewall mount" style.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Yellowchev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
I would not feel comfortable with that bumper bolted to unsupported sheet metal. Been rear ended in acvws twice. One was a similar bumper but the top tubes bolted onto the top shock mounts. That one bent up and took out the push rods and tubes on one side. The next time was in a garden variety rail. Cut that in half and am still fabricating. Don't under estimate the force it could see.

I agree. My next option was the shock mount version like you suggested but even then from what you're saying it doesn't strong enough... bummer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellowchev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
I plan on installing this Empi 9543 transmission mount, and...
these rhino mounts...
The lower bumper mount will use the bolt that attaches the transmission mount to the frame horns. I'll probably have to modify the transmission mount to fit.
Something like this...
My upper mount is a "shock mount" style rather than a "firewall mount" style.

Hmmm I'm curious to see how that turns out?! Post pics?!
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

Yellowchev wrote:
Hmmm I'm curious to see how that turns out?! Post pics?!

My build is going really sloooooooooooooooooooooow, but I do document everything with pictures along the way. I'm a long way from mounting bumpers Confused

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

Stay tuned to my build thread, should be starting my engine cage in the next couple of weeks. Started this build a year ago, it has also been a little slow.
Yellowchev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

Hey I'm a little new to the samba, can you post or guide me to both of your build links?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

So soon?
Yellowchev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
So soon?

?? Haha I meant if you have a build thread where could I find it so I can follow it?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

It is titled so soon? It is near the top of this off road forum. Start on page 1 and see what a drunk in a 4x4 ram truck did to my rail. It had less than 2k miles on it since the last redo.
Yellowchev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
It is titled so soon? It is near the top of this off road forum. Start on page 1 and see what a drunk in a 4x4 ram truck did to my rail. It had less than 2k miles on it since the last redo.

sweet!! I'll check it out thanks!!
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

As mentioned above I would never use a bumper mounted to the firewall. Mine was mounted to the upper shock mount, I was rear ended twice and the chrome baja bumper held up both times.

As for you lower mounting point the trans strap kit thats installed on there makes it so you can get to the lower bolt to attatch your brackets. You will have to fab something up so it will all work together.
Yellowchev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

weasel_ugs wrote:
As mentioned above I would never use a bumper mounted to the firewall. Mine was mounted to the upper shock mount, I was rear ended twice and the chrome baja bumper held up both times.

As for you lower mounting point the trans strap kit thats installed on there makes it so you can get to the lower bolt to attatch your brackets. You will have to fab something up so it will all work together.

Awesome, thanks I am probably going to replace the strap with a better one anyhow (empi #9507) and should have a better setup to then attach bumper. I'm working on something where I can mount the upper portion to some horizontal steel that angles down back into the frame. Appreciated all the help and comments.
Yellowchev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

Does anyone have pics or could guide me to pics of what the bottom two mounts should look like? I'm lacking a visual on some of the instruction. In my mind it just inserts into the end of the pan where my strap transaxle extensions are. I'd like though to see what's correct and follow that as much as I can.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

Here's a couple pics ...

The pic I posted above shows how the lower mount bolts to the transmission mount / frame horn.

I would also like to point out that a solid transmission mount will transmit A LOT of noise through the car since there is nothing to insulate the transmission from the frame. That's why the car originally came with rubber mounts. As a compromise, I plan on installing the rhino mounts to get a little more support without all the additional noise of a solid transmission mount.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

Here's what my car looked like underneath when I first brought it home. I am getting a different transmission mount (empi #9543) and doing away with the red urethane mounts in favor of the rhino mounts. I think I'll have to grind away some of the material on the new transmission mount so the lower bumper brackets can hang down freely.

Yellowchev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

This is perfect guys!! Thanks a ton!!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

Found a couple of pics from the 80's of my 64 1/2. It took out the right side exhaust. exhaust studs. and push rods and tubes. This one was a animal and still my favorite

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper install Reply with quote

I'm always hearing from guys with Baja Bugs and street driven rails that they don't need a rear bumper for the street. I say it's needed a hell of a lot more for the street than for the dirt.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: