Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Buggy VIN?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sloppy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: VW Buggy VIN? Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 1959 VW fiberglass buggy. The previous owners title and registration called it a 1959 VW. It's VIN I found was located on the center pan right behind the emergency brake. The VIN was 2403636. That is what the previous owners VIN was, and that what is now on my title and registration.

Today I was working on it, I found some papers from owner who owned the buggy BEFORE the guy I bought it from. Well those papers listed the VIN as a 1966 VW beetle with a VIN of DRF 104477. I inspected further and found a small rectangular plate welded near the clutch pedal along the left wall by my foot. The plate had DRF 104477.

How are the previous two owners VIN's different, and what VIN should I use? What do I even call the fiberglass buggy for insurance purposes?
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: VW BUGGY VIN? Reply with quote

I can't help you with the vin but others here far more knowledgeable than I will.

What I do know is don't tell the insurance co that it's a "dune buggy". That almost always turns out bad.

AMAC
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: VW BUGGY VIN? Reply with quote

That tag you found is more than likely a VIN issued when the buggy was first built and put on the road. My neighbor has a Manx body when we were taking it off the old chassie we found a tag under the right front fender that was screwed in the fiberglass, it was from the DMV in PA it had a short number on it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: VW BUGGY VIN? Reply with quote

AMAC1680 wrote:
I can't help you with the vin but others here far more knowledgeable than I will.

What I do know is don't tell the insurance co that it's a "dune buggy". That almost always turns out bad.

AMAC

If you ever need to file a claim, they can deny it due to your lie of omission.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: VW BUGGY VIN? Reply with quote

Technically by Calif DMV it is not a 1959 VW it is a SPCN or SPecial CoNstruction by interpretation of California DMV code... And the 1966 title is what it probably should be registered under and that was when buggy was actually built as kit car...

Only DMV can clarify the dilemma you have.... BUT if you question it with wrong DMV clerk you will open up a whole can of worms to get proper title... IT would be my guess that if previous owner had it register with the VW VIN for quite a few years (10 I believe) the Calif DMV title and VIN may have dropped out of the computer and may not be valid....

IF you misrepresent the buggy which is actually a "kit car" by definition not a VW beetle to your insurance as others have said you might lose your coverage in case of a incident becasue you misrepresented the vehicle to them and they will base their rejection of claim and cancellation of your insurance because you intentionally committed fraud by misrepresentation..

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: VW Buggy VIN? Reply with quote

I'd think the one stamped by VW on the tunnel behind brake handle which matches current title is one to go with. The one welded on by a PO is bogus. Your chassis was most likely shortened. Perhaps the front came from a different year than the rear section. I too would avoid dune buggy and go with kit car. Since in Calif you can apply for the Special Construction but aren't there only 500 issued per year?
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: VW Buggy VIN? Reply with quote

In a way it is similar to what I have with my Fire Aero, though being a bike based kit car, I actually have two titles. I have the valid title to the Honda V45, however I also have a valid title which corresponds to the Special construction VIN assigned to the completed vehicle. Missouri would only title it as a special construction vehicle, however VA and Maryland titled it as a motorcycle on the valid OEM VIN. both states just rolled their eyes on the special construction and said basically, you don't want to go there.

I'd go with whatever you have the up to date title and registration on and be honest with the insurance company regardless of how it's titled if you put it on the road.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Buggy VIN? Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
I'd think the one stamped by VW on the tunnel behind brake handle which matches current title is one to go with. The one welded on by a PO is bogus. Your chassis was most likely shortened. Perhaps the front came from a different year than the rear section. I too would avoid dune buggy and go with kit car. Since in Calif you can apply for the Special Construction but aren't there only 500 issued per year?

Not necessarily bogus, at one time it may have been valid, IF there is paperwork to support it...

California does have authority to issue a VIN for any kit car in California...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BUGGY VIN? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
AMAC1680 wrote:

AMAC

If you ever need to file a claim, they can deny it due to your lie of omission.

I didn't say register it as a beetle.
I said don't call it a dune buggy because as we know many will not insure based on that description. Kit car works mich better.

I agree anything else is fraud.

AMAC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: