Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adapters, or re-drilled drums?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Adapters, or re-drilled drums? Reply with quote

I have a '73 Thing. I finally ordered CB's disk brake kit for the front of my Thing. I'm going for the slammed, Thing look! Naturally I ordered the brake kit with dropped spindles and in the future, I'll be purchasing a narrowed, adjustable beam! My concern now is for the rear of the car! I'll be turning the spline 2 notches, but my latest problem is my wheels. I have 15x6 (front) and 15x7 (rear) Porsche Cookie Cutters 5 x 130's. In the not so near future I'll order a rear disk brake kit, but for now, I'd like to run my stock brakes for a couple of years (while I save up). Should I use adapters, or order re-drilled drum brakes?
Money is real tight at the moment, and I don't drive the car much. I hear there maybe an offset issue with using adaptors pushing the wheels out too far, and I hear there may be an issue with ordering re-drilled drums because a Things rear brakes are slightly bigger than a bug? What have you guys already done to solve this problem? Naturally my Thing has a 5x205 bolt pattern and my wheels are 5x130 Porsche wheels, so I have to do something? What has worked in the past? What am I missing... lol?
Thanks!
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1979 Volkswagen Transporter
1973 Volkswagen Thing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Adapters, or re-drilled drums? Reply with quote

Nobodies put cookie cutters on the rear of a drum brake Thing?
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1973 Volkswagen Thing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Adapters, or re-drilled drums? Reply with quote

Perhaps not many folks have put cookie cutters on their Thing.

You really haven't given enough information for a meaningful response.

What's the backspace of the rear rim?
What size tire are you mounting?
What is the thickness of the adapter?

After you have answered those questions you can go out to your car with a tape measure and a yardstick, remove the rear wheel, lay the edge of the yardstick across the wheel mounting surface of the drum, and measure from the yardstick out to the fender.

Armed with that measurement, you can do the math vis-a-vis the wheel backspace and the width of the tire and the thickness of the adapter and determine if there's room for the adapter. Because the adapter would be my first choice.
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Adapters, or re-drilled drums? Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
Perhaps not many folks have put cookie cutters on their Thing.

You really haven't given enough information for a meaningful response.

What's the backspace of the rear rim?
What size tire are you mounting?
What is the thickness of the adapter?

After you have answered those questions you can go out to your car with a tape measure and a yardstick, remove the rear wheel, lay the edge of the yardstick across the wheel mounting surface of the drum, and measure from the yardstick out to the fender.

Armed with that measurement, you can do the math vis-a-vis the wheel backspace and the width of the tire and the thickness of the adapter and determine if there's room for the adapter. Because the adapter would be my first choice.

I agree, I could do all this and take measurements and figure it out on my own. However, I thought I would use my friendly thesamba.com form and ask if anyone has done this before whithout me having to do it all myself. I am perfectly able, and have done it for my '79 VW Bus when I installed the 17x7 Vw Heritage wheels way back in 2013! No one had done it before, but before I took on the task I checked with my friends over at vortex. Then, I even did my own personal write-up to share with others to use the information to further the modifications of our beloved VW's.

I figured from all the Google pics I have seen with slammed VW Thing's on Cookie Cutters that someone would like to share the information. I'm not questioning if its been done or not, it's clearly obvious that it has. I'm questioning how they did it, and if I am at least on the right track. Because the wheels have been out since the '70's and so has the Thing, and with all the pics floating around on the interwebs with my exact queries, after doing searches and coming up empty, I found it kinda hard to believe! At least 40 years and no one, even though pics are plentiful on searches has tried this?

Not putting anyone down, just explaining the obvious, and why we have this beautiful thing called thesamba.com

Anyone want to shed light on how they made this happen?
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1973 Volkswagen Thing
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Adapters, or re-drilled drums? Reply with quote

If you have seen someone on theSamba with cookie cutters on their Thing, why not PM them? I have personally only remember seeing it done once, and that was some chap in the UK with a slammed RHD Trekker.

I was armed with all sorts of advice when I went to put BBS wheels on my '71 German Look Super Beetle. I still needed to do some tweaking even after all the advice and measuring. My front and rear disk brakes were drilled for the 5x100 pattern but I still needed to modify the inner hub of the front wheels, and I still needed small hub-centric spacers.

Good luck.
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Adapters, or re-drilled drums? Reply with quote

I had Porsche phone dials with discs on the front and drums on the rear of my thing 5x130. Granted I bought a complete kit but the drums were 5x130. I think socal autoparts has them. They are definitely out there.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Adapters, or re-drilled drums? Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=542639
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Adapters, or re-drilled drums? Reply with quote

emersonbiggins wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=542639

Yes, yes... I saw that post, and even posted in it. I got a few answers back, but not enough about my specific application. Thanks.

I think I'll be just giving it the 'college try' and do it myself and report back. I'm very surprised at how little information has been shared about this.
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1973 Volkswagen Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: