Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body to Shock tower bolt size/ replacement?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
driftman11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Body to Shock tower bolt size/ replacement? Reply with quote

Alright I am putting my 74 body back on the pan and realized I'm not sure which bolts bolt the rear shock tower to the body with the rubber pad under them? A place to buy these bolts would be very appreciated as well.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Body to Shock tower bolt size/ replacement? Reply with quote

Thingparts.com Call Mike, he'll have them to you quick and reasonably priced...

OR there is always the awesome option;
Thethingshop.com
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
driftman11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Body to Shock tower bolt size/ replacement? Reply with quote

Asked him already. He didn't have them. I haven't been able to find a bolt that is for this particular purpose yet on any of the VW sites. I'm told its not a normal bolt so I was hoping to get an image of it so I knew for sure what it looked like to maybe find the bolt off another application or something that will work.
seilerj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Body to Shock tower bolt size/ replacement? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Body to Shock tower bolt size/ replacement? Reply with quote

I will take a look at my carcass Thing today, if I can get them off you're welcome to them.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
seilerj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Body to Shock tower bolt size/ replacement? Reply with quote

I hope these help
driftman11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Body to Shock tower bolt size/ replacement? Reply with quote

alrighty! that photo helps a lot. I believe I found the bolts that are used but I didn't have any spacers with them. HMMMM.. where does the spacer actually go? does it fit in the bolt holes on the rubber spacers and thru the tower? Like to keep them all together or how?
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Body to Shock tower bolt size/ replacement? Reply with quote

The bolts are 10 mm but they have a 15 mm head. I have never found these.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Body to Shock tower bolt size/ replacement? Reply with quote

You could use socket head or allen head bolts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Body to Shock tower bolt size/ replacement? Reply with quote

The spacer fits inside the rubber. I have that bolt new if you need one. The bolt is a JIS spec. metric bolt. Much like the smaller head exhaust nuts that people use. Same spec.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Body to Shock tower bolt size/ replacement? Reply with quote

JIS is Japanese Industrial Standard.

Lots of good hardware stores sell JIS metric hardware. I think an M10 would have a 14 or 15 mm head (in JIS form).

As a last resort, order JIS hardware from BelMetric.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Body to Shock tower bolt size/ replacement? Reply with quote

I tried BelMetric they only have small wrench size in fine tread.
driftman11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Body to Shock tower bolt size/ replacement? Reply with quote

Well on a good note, after doing a clean up in the garage, I was able to find my old bolts. They didn't have the spacers but I have the bolts so atleast I won't have to hunt down this long lost bolt lol
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Body to Shock tower bolt size/ replacement? Reply with quote

They are not very easy to find. The closest one I was able to find, was one that didn't have the shoulder, was threaded all the way to the head of the bolt. It has the proper 14mm head and that was the hard part. We don't have hardware stores anymore just Home Depot.
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Body to Shock tower bolt size/ replacement? Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
They are not very easy to find. The closest one I was able to find, was one that didn't have the shoulder, was threaded all the way to the head of the bolt. It has the proper 14mm head and that was the hard part. We don't have hardware stores anymore just Home Depot.

If you have an Ace Hardware near by, try them, I have been able to locate all of the metric sized bolts I have needed for my vehicle from them.
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Body to Shock tower bolt size/ replacement? Reply with quote

I do have some spacer sleeves...
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: