Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

19VDuB68 wrote:

Of course I ordered the wiring works kit this morning. I wonder if I can cancel it. I wish the wiring under the hood looked this good.

That is not a bad thing to have the wiring works kit, it will match up 100% with the stock VW wiring and the diagrams in the tech section here, much easier to troubleshoot. You never know what's going on with some aftermarket wiring and it would be harder to diagnose problems. And if your under the hood wiring looks shot then the new harness will be safer as well.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

19VDuB68 wrote:

Is that skinny tube part of that toward bottom of picture?

No I believe that is the accelerator cable tube. It runs along the left side of that tunnel.

1600 SP engine
19VDuB68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

Thanks SB, I have a question for you. Which carburator are you running? I don't have correct carb it's a 30 pict 3 for manual. I get hard shifts in 1St and reverse. Previous owner said that's normal yeah right.
19VDuB68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

I got the wiring harness but I am confused. It's the wiring works complete but I cannot tell if the wiring is there for the steering wheel.
Crasher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

Talk to this company about a wiring harness http://www.autosparks.co.uk. If you look under wiring harness they offer a lot of right hand drive harness but only 1303 in wrong hand drive but I can't see why they should't be able to build one to suit you. It may be possible for them to alter it to include the clutch valve, switch, temp warning and starter cut out wiring. I have a 72 1302LS automatic and I will be making my own new harness BUT with some help (wire mainly) from Autosparks as they are only a few miles from where I live.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

19VDuB68 wrote:
Thanks SB, I have a question for you. Which carburator are you running? I don't have correct carb it's a 30 pict 3 for manual. I get hard shifts in 1St and reverse. Previous owner said that's normal yeah right.

Sorry I didn't see your followup post here until now. Yes I am running the stock Solex 30 PICT 3 carb but the one that has been modified for an autostick, you need an extra ported vacuum nozzle to hook up to your control valve. This extra port is drilled on the back of the carb just to the right of the vacuum retard port. (In this photo you can see the hose marked "ported vacuum line for autostick control valve." The nozzle it is connected to on the carb is the one you need.)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

19VDuB68 wrote:
I got the wiring harness but I am confused. It's the wiring works complete but I cannot tell if the wiring is there for the steering wheel.

We would need to see the wiring harness to be sure. It may be a separate smaller harness that contains all the wiring for the ignition switch/ turn signal-hi beam switch. It may not have been included but then I would question why they call it a complete harness.
Wires it would have:

Green/black/white: Input from blinker relay to turn signal switch
White/black stripe: Left turn signal output from switch
Green/black: Right turn signal output from switch
Solid brown: Horn ground
Black/ white stripe: Input from dimmer relay to low/high beam switch

For the ignition switch there would be a solid red going into the switch for power input, and red/black stripe coming out for power output to starter.

These wires all might have been included and are just separate from the rest of the main harness.

1600 SP engine
19VDuB68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
19VDuB68 wrote:

Sorry I didn't see your followup post here until now. Yes I am running the stock Solex 30 PICT 3 carb but the one that has been modified for an autostick, you need an extra ported vacuum nozzle to hook up to your control valve. This extra port is drilled on the back of the carb just to the right of the vacuum retard port. (In this photo you can see the hose marked "ported vacuum line for autostick control valve." The nozzle it is connected to on the carb is the one you need.)

Quote:

I noticed mine is a pict 2. So looks like I need a 3 to mod. Thanks
19VDuB68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
19VDuB68 wrote:

We would need to see the wiring harness to be sure. It may be a separate smaller harness that contains all the wiring for the ignition switch/ turn signal-hi beam switch. It may not have been included but then I would question why they call it a complete harness.
Wires it would have:

Green/black/white: Input from blinker relay to turn signal switch
White/black stripe: Left turn signal output from switch
Green/black: Right turn signal output from switch
Solid brown: Horn ground
Black/ white stripe: Input from dimmer relay to low/high beam switch

For the ignition switch there would be a solid red going into the switch for power input, and red/black stripe coming out for power output to starter.

These wires all might have been included and are just separate from the rest of the main harness.

I don't see any of those colors in this harness I called kustom1warehouse but no one answers cannot find information on wiring works to call them. Ugh
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

19VDuB68 wrote:

I don't see any of those colors in this harness I called kustom1warehouse but no one answers cannot find information on wiring works to call them. Ugh

Can you please link to the wiring harness you bought. If it said "MAIN harness" then it would just be the wiring harness from the fuse box and trunk mounted items, to the back of the car, for the items under the rear seat and the engine bay.
If it said COMPLETE harness then I would think it should have the steering wheel switch wiring with it, unless it specifically said it did not come with that.

Are you sure you even need to replace those wires? Usually that bundle of wires is kept in pretty decent shape.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

19VDuB68 wrote:

I noticed mine is a pict 2. So looks like I need a 3 to mod. Thanks

Well I've never actually seen a 30 PICT 2 for an autostick but it doesn't mean they don't exist. I've always just used the 30 PICT 3 (pretty much same carburetor except has an adjustable volume mixture screw where the PICT 2 did not.) I have seen autosticks set up with carbs that did not have that extra vacuum port- sometimes they are teed off of the vacuum advance port. Would help to see a picture of your engine bay.

EDIT: After doing a bit of research it appears the 30 PICT 2 WAS the appropriate carburetor for any 68-69 (1500cc) models, whether or not it was an autostick. So there MUST be some 30 PICT 2 out there that was set up for the autostick. I have just never seen one. VW went to the 30 PICT 3 in 1970 when they went to the 1600 single port engine, which is what I am running right now. The 30 PICT 3 will work with your engine whether it is a 1500 or 1600, and I have a spare I would be willign to part with BUT let's see if we can make your 30 PICT 2 work a little better first. If you can post pictures of your engine bay it will be helpful.

1600 SP engine
19VDuB68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

I found out that the wiring harness doesn't contain that section of wire. I think I should be able to work around it. Big issues are when car was repainted they painted some wires too. I will need to clean them up to see colors. Photos coming from engine bay. Thanks so much for your help.
19VDuB68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

Here is carb I will take more tomorrow. The vacuum line is hooked up to port behind spring. That is only vacuum hooked up to carb for auto stick.

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

Hmm. That should actually work the way you have it set up- you have it connected to the vacuum advance port for the original distributor that would have been on the car- but since you don't have a vacuum advance distributor any longer no reason that setup shouldn't work. Maybe not as well as the actual autostick vacuum port, but they are both ported vacuum signals so it shouldn't be too far off. If it is always a really hard shift, it might be that your idle speed is set way too high, OR your control valve adjusting screw is not adjusted properly causing the clutch servo to pull too much vacuum and engage too quickly. Look on top of your control valve on the left side of the engine bay, see the small slot head screw sticking up (may be underneath a ptotective cap.) Try turning that screw inward until about 2 threads show on it, then try again and see if the shifts are smoother. If that doesn't help check your idle speed--engine warmed up, it should be about 900-950 RPMs.

PM me your email address and I can send you a PDF I have of the Bentley autostick section that might help you chase the issue.

As for the wiring, if it looks like all the factory wires for the steering wheel items are still there and in decent shape we can help get that sorted as well.

1600 SP engine
19VDuB68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

Thank you very much for tips. Email address on the way.
volkenstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

19VDuB68,
The carb can be modified to work with an A-S readily enough, but - leave that till later. It'll be a big enough job figuring out & hooking up your new electrics.

HTH
Volkenstein
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
19VDuB68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

I ordered a new fuse box so I wouldn't have to change the connectors on harness. I ordered 8 fuse but got the 12 by mistake. Can I still use it? They said the 8 is not available. Here is the one I got.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GX49KRG/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
19VDuB68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

Have a quick question running harness for dome light. New one has ground wire but my doesn't have one running to dome. Can I pull it out? Thanks
19VDuB68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

Bump
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Rebel Deluxe Wiring Harness on 68 Auto Stick Beetle ? Reply with quote

19VDuB68 wrote:
I ordered a new fuse box so I wouldn't have to change the connectors on harness. I ordered 8 fuse but got the 12 by mistake. Can I still use it? They said the 8 is not available. Here is the one I got.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GX49KRG/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The original 68 fuse block used a 10 fuse block. I don't see any problem using this fuse block and just using 10 fuses off of it- if you follow the 68 wiring diagram here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_68_69_usa.jpg

You will see that constant power red wire coming in to the unfused side of fuse #9. (Basically, constant battery power flows from the battery up the main harness through the car to terminal 30 on the light switch, and then branches power from there off to both the ignition switch and the #9 fuse.)

So if you follow this diagram and just used the first 10 fuses for what they are intended for, and then wanted to use one of those two extra fuses for constant power you could just jumper power over from fuse #9 on the unfused side.

Same thing with SWITCHED power- when you turn the ignition on, switched power comes back into the fuse box from the ignition switch into the unfused side of fuse #2. So if you wanted to carry switched power over to one of those extra fuses, just jumper over from fuse #2 on the unfused side.

Let me know if you have any questions concerning any other wiring

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: