Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much to remove surface rust before por15
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: How much to remove surface rust before por15 Reply with quote

So if my pans or another part of the body just has surface rust, how much should i work to remove before adding phosphoric acid and the por15 or other treatment? Do i labor for hours and try to sand and remove all tiny rust spots or just sand what essentially what i can then add the phosphoric acid and then por 15 it?
Also, my understanding is por15 is not very good if you are going to paint the metal. If so, whats the best thing to use if i want to paint?
Thanks!
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to remove surface rust before por15 Reply with quote

Just went through this with my 59 ragtop.

I would wire-brush the heavy rust and then spray with the phosphoric acid, keeping it wet for at least 30 minutes or so. Rinse off with fresh water, towel dry, then spray with acetone to carry away remaining water. Repeat, as needed.

Let dry overnight, then put on POR-15. I used the glossy black POR-15, as it's much easier to work with.

If you're spraying the acid anywhere that it can drift onto paint, tape/cover it, as it will slightly bleach the paint (protects against acetone overspray/drift as well).

I did two coats of POR-15 and looks good 1.75 years later. Transfer POR-15 into a mason jar before you begin, as the can/lid is not really designed for multiple openings/closings and will let the contents dry out after you've bent them up...

Best,
Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to remove surface rust before por15 Reply with quote

dm wrote:
So if my pans or another part of the body just has surface rust, how much should i work to remove before adding phosphoric acid and the por15 or other treatment? Do i labor for hours and try to sand and remove all tiny rust spots or just sand what essentially what i can then add the phosphoric acid and then por 15 it?
Also, my understanding is por15 is not very good if you are going to paint the metal. If so, whats the best thing to use if i want to paint?
Thanks!

Maybe its just your wording. I can see using POR 15 or a similar product on the pans. I would not use it on any body parts that are exposed or will be painted.

You also may want to consider a rust converter product before final treatment.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to remove surface rust before por15 Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
dm wrote:
Thanks!

Maybe its just your wording. I can see using POR 15 or a similar product on the pans. I would not use it on any body parts that are exposed or will be painted.

You also may want to consider a rust converter product before final treatment.

My experience with POR15 is that it needs a slightly oxidised surface to adhere to the metal. Someone - I think it was Dorian from Belgium - suggested wetting the surface to be treated and letting it react to the oxygen in the air before applying the POR15.

Where I used a rust converter, the POR15 didn't adhere well and in places flaked off.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to remove surface rust before por15 Reply with quote

My experience with POR15 is that it needs a slightly oxidised surface to adhere to the metal. Someone - I think it was Dorian from Belgium - suggested wetting the surface to be treated and letting it react to the oxygen in the air before applying the POR15.

Where I used a rust converter, the POR15 didn't adhere well and in places flaked off.[/quote]

Not sure about this - the POR15 metal ready preparation product removes surface oxidation
dm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: How much to remove surface rust before por15 Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I pretty much wire brushed and added phosphic acid, then the por 15 the next day for the pans.

I was asking about how to treat rust for metal that will be repainted? Unfortunately, welding isnt an option for me at this point so I do want to do as good a job as possible when there is surface rust and some pitting.

Thanks!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to remove surface rust before por15 Reply with quote

If your pans are thin from rust and you are treating them inside the car, laying some thin fiberglass cloth over the 1st coat of por15 and follow with two more coats of por15 will add a lot of strength and keep you from falling through while driving.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to remove surface rust before por15 Reply with quote

dm wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I pretty much wire brushed and added phosphic acid, then the por 15 the next day for the pans.

I was asking about how to treat rust for metal that will be repainted? Unfortunately, welding isnt an option for me at this point so I do want to do as good a job as possible when there is surface rust and some pitting.

Thanks
Buy some metal prep from any paint supply store and brush it on before painting, it will turn any surface rust into black primer in a few hours and the paint primer will bond to it.
dm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to remove surface rust before por15 Reply with quote

Ok thanks! Is that just like phosphoric acid or different?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: How much to remove surface rust before por15 Reply with quote

It's different. It's what paint shops put on bare metal before primer.
dm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: How much to remove surface rust before por15 Reply with quote

Great! Thanks!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to remove surface rust before por15 Reply with quote

POR's metal prep may be different, but not much. Seems it does all the same things Phosphoric acid does at only twice the price. Smile
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-gal-Phosphoric-Prep-and-Etch-GKPA30220/100406369

Pretty much does the same thing. Now, if you are using POR you may want to use all their products as a system. Im just not a fan of that product.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: