Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weird Transmission Problem
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Weird Transmission Problem Reply with quote

I have a 68 full syncro tranny in my 56. I just pulled my tranny to install a bus nosecone/hockeystick and mount because I didn't like all of the road noise with the solid mount. Everything fit fine. The problem I've got now is that I have to push the shifter down to the left for it to shift into first and second gear. I can't get it to go into reverse at all. I've taken the shifter apart and adjusted to both extremes (the shift plate only adjusts forwards and backwards). I did put a new front mainshaft bearing in when the tranny was out. The good new is the drivetrain noise is very much improved. Confused Any thoughts? Thanks as always..
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird Transmission Problem Reply with quote

Your hockey stick, if it has an indent for the set screw, is in the wrong place.

With the transmission in first gear, remove the set screw, remove the two shift plate bolts and get the shifter back into normal first gear position. Then look into the shift coupler set screw threaded hole and see that the hole for the set screw is probably off to one side a bit.

Take a standard bolt the same size as the set screw threads, center punch the end of it and use a large drill to make a cup shape in the end of the bolt, install and carefully tighten so that the bolt cup edge clamps down onto the surface of the hockey stick.

Test shift/drive, consider this a temporary repair until you can weld up the hole in the hockey stick, re-drill it in the proper location or just keep on driving the way it is if you feel lucky. I've put plenty of miles on that kind of arrangement without issue.
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird Transmission Problem Reply with quote

Thanks Snort. Kinda what I figured. Will tackle it tomorrow. Any reason I can't make the adjustment on the shift rod instead of the hockey stick? A lot easier to get at and drill and tap a new set screw hole.... thanks
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird Transmission Problem Reply with quote

You certainly could, but I would advise against reworking your shift rod as it would then limit your future options.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: