Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle only shifts into first and second gear and reverse
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Transaxle only shifts into first and second gear and reverse Reply with quote

Hello..I have a friend with a '56 oval and he bought a new tunnel case transaxle and when we put it in, it only shifts into first, second and reverse nomatter what we try. I do not know if he has a bus nose cone/hockey stick on it or not.I have read most of the posts similar to this but have not seen any posts talking about this specific problem..He is ready to buy whatever is needed immediately.
Thank You.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle only shifts into first and second gear and reverse Reply with quote

Read this and see if it helps.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672479
vw356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle only shifts into first and second gear and reverse Reply with quote

Thank You Snort..I have tried that already..I talked to my friend and asked him what the serial numbers are on the nose cone and he can't read them in the car but says it starts with a "3"..I bet it came on the tunnel transaxle and I bet he needs the bus nose cone and hockey stick. The "3" nose cone and transaxle bolted in easily into the 1956 car though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle only shifts into first and second gear and reverse Reply with quote

Disconnect the shift coupler and see if you have any better luck shifting through the gears without the shifter attached. This will help you focus your search for the problem.
vw356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle only shifts into first and second gear and reverse Reply with quote

Thank You Snort...I tried this already with no luck..But, when we had the transaxle out, we had the nose cone off and we pulled and pushed each gear selector..I can't remember which selector was which but can say reverse is by itself on one end of the three selectors and only moves in two places.The other two selectors have an up and down plus neutral in between.Also seems like reverse was the selector on the left end of the three, but I really can't remember for sure.The middle selector would pull in and out fairly easily,but definitely as tight as I would want it to be for a new transaxle..But the right/third selector was VERY hard to push down,pull up even with vise grips on the selector.It did pull through all 3 positions though..But was very tight.. We put it all back together and still had the same first, second and reverse but no 3rd or 4th..
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle only shifts into first and second gear and reverse Reply with quote

Is the shifter straight up in second? If not put it in second gear, loosen the coupler and put the gear shifter straight up where second should be and tighten it. See if you can get the other gears. If so the indent is in wrong place.

Is the motor tilted alot, if so wrong nosecone. If it looks normal and the nose cone is centered in tunnel your good.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle only shifts into first and second gear and reverse Reply with quote

It's been a long time since I did the conversion, but as I remember, the hole for the coupler screw was at 6 oclock on the bus hockey stick, and 12 oclock on the sedan hockey stick, so if you didn't have to drill a new hole 180 degrees opposite the old one, it's probably not the right nosecone or hockey stick.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle only shifts into first and second gear and reverse Reply with quote

Thank You both.. When it is in second gear, it is close to straight up, but then when trying to get 3rd and 4th it just slips back to first and second...And as far as drilling the dimples, my friend had already drilled an extra hole next to the stock one, but it did not work. I had taken the nose cone off of a bad tunnel case transaxle that I had in a '58 and the part number started with "2" and the hocky stick had a simple in the 12 o clock position and then another at either the 5 o clock or 7 o clock position and I know that it worked before the transaxle went bad.. So I guess we will try this next. As far as the transaxle being in at an angle, I don't know..It looked normal, but we didn't put the motor back in yet.Still running the original 36hp! Thank You Guys!
Josh summerford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle only shifts into first and second gear and reverse Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the nose cone we are using, and the hockey stick is a bus part too and already had the extra hole drilled into it and is exactly like the one I used in my 58 bug when I did this same thing to it.With this nose cone and stick, we only get reverse and first and second gear..What am I doing wrong?? Thank You!
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle only shifts into first and second gear and reverse Reply with quote

Josh, I might get mixed up between you and VW356 but I'll try to keep it sorted out. Consider starting your own topic for your issue.

Your nose cone looks like the one I have sitting on a spare transaxle that I know works correctly. Yours is a ...211E, mine is a ...211G but those letters are minor modifications such as the fact that mine has a reverse switch bung and the later modified seal for the hockey stick. What I don't have immediate access too is the hockey stick inside to show you what it should look like. However, it is a simple matter of testing what you have assembled.

Put a shift coupler on the hockey stick so you have something to work with, (vice grips not such a good idea as it can damage the hockey stick surface) and shift through all the gears.

No go? take off the nose cone and see if the three individual selector shafts can be worked through the gears, one at a time putting each one back into neutral before moving to the next one. If they all work then your hockey stick is most likely the wrong shape for the nose cone.

If your transmission shifts through all the gears when out of the car but not when in the car then you have a problem with your shift rod/coupler/lining up correctly with the hockey stick. Many of these hockey sticks have been drilled in the wrong location for the set screw. Why? Because they were not made in a proper VW factory designed for installing into a Bug chassis so you have to check it out for yourself and make corrections as needed. It only takes a small error in this hole location to cause a problem.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle only shifts into first and second gear and reverse Reply with quote

Josh summerford wrote:

And when you take off the nose cone, clean off that huge amount of sealant then apply 1/10th of what you did in this picture. You have certainly sealed off the vent hole.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle only shifts into first and second gear and reverse Reply with quote

You must use a hockey stick like the one on the right:

vw356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle only shifts into first and second gear and reverse Reply with quote

Thank You Both very much..Josh is the owner of the '56 we are having trouble with. My phone wouldn't work at his house,so I posted from his phone/samba account.
The transaxle does shift into all gears when out of the car.
I will try to find the "bent" hocky stick and try it next..With less sealant too..Thank You guys very,very much.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: