Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Axle boots, body off engine out
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle boots, body off engine out Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
Hokie87 wrote:

Why do you have to jack up the axle? I did this same thing with the chassis on the ground and the boots went on fine.

Or are you using the OG style non-split boots? If so, you must remove the axle to install: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111501151

No, they're split boots. Odd, mine are not even close. There is about a 1 1/2" gap on the big end. It's not even close enough to get the clamp started. I checked the p/n and they are the correct ones. There is only one p/n as far as I know.

I like the ratcheting and chain/jack ideas. I'll look around and see what might work for me. Thanks!

I had about a 1" gap, too. I just started the bolts along the seam -- middle one first, then slid it up and over the flange at the tranny, then tightened the clamps and bolts going back and forth between the two until all were tight. I found a better picture:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Axle boots, body off engine out Reply with quote

Hokie87 wrote:

I had about a 1" gap, too. I just started the bolts along the seam -- middle one first, then slid it up and over the flange at the tranny, then tightened the clamps and bolts going back and forth between the two until all were tight. I found a better picture:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks! Took a quick look at it again this weekend, and it does look like that might work for me too. It's just going to take a little time.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: