Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roll bar in the make
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Roll bar in the make Reply with quote

Hi there,

Just wanted to share my rollbar project which finally has arrived at a state where I can show some progress.
The reason for a new rollbar was the old one was too large so I could not fit my hard top. After some years of planning, measuring and pausing, I finally have arrived at this stage:

First the original rollbar that came with the car, slightly too high and wide on top:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I contacted a pipe bending shop which normally does work for power plant pipelines, and they offered to bend my two rollbars over the weekend.

I provided some drawings with measurements taken at the buggy body:

rear:

front:

and when I received the parts, I just had to cut to final length.

And here the rear hoop (to the right behind the car, the original rollbar):

In the front, I cut out the dashboard to ensure parallel and tight fit with the window frame so that from an side angle the rollbar does not disturb the lines of the car.
(Sorry but I cannot figure why the foto shows in 90 DEG rotation after uploading....)

I decided to connect both bars with a side structure of rectangle profile steel which sits inside the body. It is connected to the chassis with the body/ chassis screws.

I did not want to separate and lift the dashboard / hood from the body in order to fit the cage-like structure in one piece, so I planned and fabricated it in two parts:
The front rollbar with the major part of the side structure, and the rear bar with a small part of it.

The connection of both sections is done with self made solid steel connectors. The connectors are slotted on the backside so that I can slide in a self securing nut which cannot rotate.

Hope this picture gives you an idea:

I am not done yet. It looks much more straight forward than it actually was, because the side profile of the body is not a plane. I had to bend the rectangular sections to follow the body lines.

And for those of you who know that welding will slightly deform the structure, you might have an idea what it took to readjust and ensure the two pieces fit together to each other, and the whole construction still fits to the car after having been welded.
The major fitting work is done, just need to add some mounts for the rear mirror, the gas dampers and the lock which will hold the roof tight when closed.
I have planned to paint the lower part (the rectangular connecting rods) in body color to keep them visually morphed into the side wall, and the rollbars will get a glossy alloy silver color.

What I have seen and I like is may be to add a flap or door to the side structure and use one or more compartments (1.5" deep) to store fuses, tools, safety vest, emergency knife, light bulbs and similar small stuff...

And some comment to the safety aspect: Yes, my setup is still a mouse trap setup. The front roll bar is better than none, and in combination with the side curtain structure it is better than just the window frame alone.
But any other layout of the roll cage (connecting rod on top, rear tubes down to the frame) will definitely kill the classic look of the car. And this is what I appreciate most...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
A E Numan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Roll bar in the make Reply with quote

Wow what a nice looking job! That's going to add a lot of strength to your buggy. Cool
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll bar in the make Reply with quote

I like your side structure, should add safety and strength. You might find that you need to connect the 2 hoops together at the top. On my rollbar, until I tied them together at the top, the front hoop would flex enough to rattle against the dash/windshield area. Also, without the 2 hoops being connected at the top, they could collapse/bend in case of a rollover.
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll bar in the make Reply with quote

Ok, some update and sorry for the bad pic quality. Here is the rollbar finally mounted in the car.

I painted the lower end sitting level with the body in body color, Porsche Sepia Brown from 1971.
The hoops are painted in a BMW Silver metallic covered with 2k Clear coat.

Oh, and I just noticed in the picture German waste bins for bio-waste have the same deck lid color than our buggy...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Roll bar in the make Reply with quote

Nice work.

Mine has no room for side curtain bars, the seats are up against the body.

Not too many buggies in Germany, any problems getting TUeV done?
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Roll bar in the make Reply with quote

Hi und Danke!

I bought our Buggy with TÜV and Oldtimer registration. Since then no big issues with the check. But it becomes more and more challenging. Fingers crossed I have to go this year...

I had no issue fitting the cage between body and seat back. I had replaced the already small 914 seats (Kamei) with a set of even smaller low bucket seats. I don't know the car type or brand. They are so small that I just fit flush in the seat without room to move sideways (Jeans size 32).
Seems I got lucky with the swap because I did not check this in detail planning the cage. The cage reduces the internal width by 3 1/2 inches (~85 mm). They just touch the side of the seat.

I think it is even more important to check the space for your left leg and foot. Many people lean the knee to the left to not touch the steering wheel during shifting. My boss is extra long (self made) to push the steering wheel towards the rear and beyond the knee line, so I don't have this problem...

Have fun!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: