Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which distributor for a 78 FI Super?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FGT1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Which distributor for a 78 FI Super? Reply with quote

So, I am putting a 78 Super convertible back together. Originally FI, but the PO pulled that off and put a carb on it. I managed to score a FI setup and now have it just about ready to test. However, the old distributor was an SVDA and I bought an electronic SVDA way back when I first started. So now, I have the vacuum advance and retard lines coming off the TB and only an advance port on the distributor.

Will the SVDA work and play well together with the stock FI or do I need to source a DVDA?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Which distributor for a 78 FI Super? Reply with quote

Just got my 77 FI bug back together after overhaul. Couple things I want to throw out there. The single vacuum advance I would think should work fine you will just have to time it differently, Not 5 degrees after TDC but advanced because you don't have retard from manifold vacuum. Do you need EGR for emissions? I don't and took that abortion off mine. I also removed deceleration valve and charcoal canister crap. It really cleaned up engine compartment. We don't have emission testing here. Also your alternator looks to have tall BAT post like the bosch unit. Just so you know that post will hit the AFM meter when you get in car. I had to cut mine down to clear as these cars came with Motorola alternator which had diiferent BAT post.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Which distributor for a 78 FI Super? Reply with quote

Hi. Since you're on the east coast possibly Glenn could spin your distrib up on his machine and plot the advance curve for you and compare with specs and decide what will work for your needs.
Regardless of the advance curve this distrib has it would not have its base (idle) timing set like the DVDA distrib. The DVDA had its base timing set to ATDC to reduce the exhaust readings at idle.
Bill.
FGT1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Which distributor for a 78 FI Super? Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I believe I read that posting about the alternator BAT post, so I will keep that in mind when I bolt it all up. Mainly I am restoring this, so I wanted to keep it as close to stock as possible. If the emissions crap gives me problems, I'll probably strip it off.

Heres hoping Glen pops into this thread! Trying not to spend much more!
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Which distributor for a 78 FI Super? Reply with quote

Glenn probably won't reply to a thread about a 1978 distributor. He will if someone points him too it.

The original distributor for a 1978 Beetle would have been a 043 905 205 H. It was a DVDA unit. Leaving the retard side out of the equation the SVDA canister typically delivers 12 degrees of advance all in while the stock DVDA typically delivers only 8 degrees. As above you will need to time it differently since it delivers more advance.

You will want to search for the best low mile 043 H that you can find. They are not the best candidates for restoring.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FGT1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Which distributor for a 78 FI Super? Reply with quote

Thanks Tasb. I will give that a shot.
FGT1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Which distributor for a 78 FI Super? Reply with quote

I bought a couple of 205H distributors off the Bugoholics, hoping to make one good one. Both canisters are bad. In doing my search for the canisters which or scarce as hens teeth, I found a cross reference to a replacement Airtex canister 4V1010. It looks very similar, but I don't know if it will function the same. Does anyone have the specs for that canister or can point me in the right direction? Thanks!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Which distributor for a 78 FI Super? Reply with quote

sawed off wrote:
Just got my 77 FI bug back together after overhaul. Couple things I want to throw out there. The single vacuum advance I would think should work fine you will just have to time it differently, Not 5 degrees after TDC but advanced because you don't have retard from manifold vacuum. Do you need EGR for emissions? I don't and took that abortion off mine. I also removed deceleration valve and charcoal canister crap. It really cleaned up engine compartment. We don't have emission testing here. Also your alternator looks to have tall BAT post like the bosch unit. Just so you know that post will hit the AFM meter when you get in car. I had to cut mine down to clear as these cars came with Motorola alternator which had diiferent BAT post.

+1 This sounds like what I did. I ran without the egr, decel valve, and used the stock dvda as an svda. I also pulled off the warm air plumbing for the air filter and plugged the holes in the rear engine tin. It ran great.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: