Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reinforce a thin rusty floor area?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reinforce a thin rusty floor area? Reply with quote

Hello,

The floor area behind the passenger's seat on my 1972 type 3 has seen some better days. Because of an old water leak (which hopefully is fixed by now) the central portion of that area got very thin by rusting so much that I am afraid that if a full size grown up will step on it when climbing in or out of the car his foot will go right through the floor.
Luckily (i think) that area has no holes in it, yet - it's just paper thin with rust.

Does anybody know any solutions or methods to somehow reinforce that area without installing new metal?

( i will weld in new metal at some point, but by the looks of it it will not be for another year or so)

Thanks in advance.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinforce a thin rusty floor area? Reply with quote

You need to 'jerry rig' that car. Very Happy

Get a piece of 18-19 gage sheet metal(1.25mm - 1.07mm) ,cut it so it will fit over the effected area and rivit/or sheet metal screw it down. Very Happy
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinforce a thin rusty floor area? Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't do anything that resembles attaching metal on metal, though. In worse case scenario I think I would tweak your idea by reinforcing a fabric or rubber floormat with a sheet of metal glued on it's back and using it as a temporary measure.

But I would like to find out if there is any way to use some sort of "chemical" solution to the problem - using a rust prevent/converter and than some sort of reinforcing coating if there is such a thing.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinforce a thin rusty floor area? Reply with quote

If the panel has lost significant strength it should be replaced.

If for some reason you feel the steel is sacred, you could waste a lot of time striping the rust off with phosphoric acid (use carefully) and cover it up with cloth fiberglass or cloth reinforced body filler, (brand name 'TigerHair'. Cloth would be stronger.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinforce a thin rusty floor area? Reply with quote

Something interesting . . . an industrial process that has been adapted to our hobby . . . http://www.americanstrippingsacramento.com/rustRepair.html
lqqkatjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinforce a thin rusty floor area? Reply with quote

I can't say that it is proven, because I have not yet done it to my car yet.

I intend to use Por 15 on my floorboards. I had sandblased them at home, and they are thinner is some areas. I have replaced where the battery is on my thing, and I decided that I am going go with the por-15, with the addition of the couple thinner areas, I am going to add some of the por-15 mesh.

https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-Power-Mesh-Square/dp...or-15+mesh

I know there are other chemicals, but I got a deal on the por-15 stuff. My understanding is it will also add some decent rigidity to the metal.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinforce a thin rusty floor area? Reply with quote

I have seen posts on here where folks have used POR-15 with a layer of material between coats and claimed it worked. BUT any reason not to use fiberglass resin and fiberglass mat to reinforce the metal?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinforce a thin rusty floor area? Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
You need to 'jerry rig' that car. Very Happy

Get a piece of 18-19 gage sheet metal(1.25mm - 1.07mm) ,cut it so it will fit over the effected area and rivit/or sheet metal screw it down. Very Happy

Or use panel adhesive to bond a sheet of 18 gauge steel to the weak floor.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: