Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throttle Cable Headache
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tkisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Throttle Cable Headache Reply with quote

Long story short replacing broken cable. New Cable tied to old cable came off. Old cable broke again while being pulled through the back and is now stuck below the flexible guide which is currently off. I tried to push to old cable through with the new cable, but the new cable wont go more than a foot in from the front or the back. I tried to clean it out by spraying a ton of WD-40 into the guide tube, and by ramming a metal coat hanger in and out to try and loosen any crud up. Still not progress made whatsoever. Has anyone been in this situation before? Im strongly contemplating just cutting large chunks of the guide out, running the cable, through all the pieces then putting it back together with something like fuel line and clamps. Any advice would be a huge help. Thanks
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable Headache Reply with quote

I once had a heater cable jammed in the tube. Turned out that someone had been doing some welding near the tube and accidentally touched it. I cut out that section of tube. Less than 2 inches and after removing the cable I spliced in a section of hard plastic tubing. It worked. My luck was finding the weld mark. In your case things will be tougher. So how did this happen? Has the bus been parked a long time?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tkisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable Headache Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I once had a heater cable jammed in the tube. Turned out that someone had been doing some welding near the tube and accidentally touched it. I cut out that section of tube. Less than 2 inches and after removing the cable I spliced in a section of hard plastic tubing. It worked. My luck was finding the weld mark. In your case things will be tougher. So how did this happen? Has the bus been parked a long time?

The movement of the throttle cable was always super jerky. I went to put in the Butty bits conversion for the throttle pedal. Everything went smooth until I want to connect the cable to the engine. At that point it was probably like 3 inches too short, and I noticed it had been spliced together previously. So I started pulling out that cable for a new and headache and breakage ensued.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable Headache Reply with quote

If the cable was spliced, did you jam the splice in the tube when removing? Pics of your engine might help.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable Headache Reply with quote

What year bus? Where are you located? You know, these pieces of info can be put in your signature and it always helps us when people ask questions. Hell, for all I know you might live down the street from me.

1) Start from the front of the tube near the front beam. Slide something aft in the tube to measure how far the blockage is.
2) Do the same from the rear going forward.
3) With this info you might be able to find on the tube where the blockage is.
4) I own rifles and when I clean the barrels I use a stiff rod. Maybe you could use something a bit smaller diameter than the tube but stiff and try and ram it through the tube?

Pictures and more info on your bus and its condition would help. Why did someone feel it necessary to splice onto the cable? If it's stock then a new stock cable would have been a better solution.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: