Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Recommendations for Seat Belt
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
blue65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Recommendations for Seat Belt Reply with quote

My new seat belt is a retractable three point type.

Unfortunately it tends to jam as there is a safety mechanism if my car is at a slope or angle. It takes me a while to un jam it. And I often drive off without using my seat belt as a result. My house neighborhood area is not flat.

Are there better products out there?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Seat Belt Reply with quote

You can install a static three point belt system available from WW.
I have them in my 67. They do require an adjustment EVERY TIME I use them. That means every time I get behind the wheel.

Don't drive without seat belts!

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
JoshsOrange71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Seat Belt Reply with quote

I used lap belts. There universal and you can get them in all colors
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Seat Belt Reply with quote

Nice 71!
What are the front seats out of?

And welcome to the samba.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
JoshsOrange71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Seat Belt Reply with quote

67rustavenger

Thanks for the welcoming. Been meaning to get on here for some time.

The seats are out of a mitsubishi eclipse 95or 96 model? Had them reupholstered in leather i picked up at a swap meet.

Had to make a custom mount for the seats to sit up high enough out of the floorpan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbclem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Seat Belt Reply with quote

A few years ago I came across some threads on The Samba about this topic, and there was a lot of interest in the retractible Humvee seat belts being sold on eBay. They were brand new, military specs, and about $18...with shipping it came to around $30-35 for the kit (2 sets of belts).

I ordered a set and I have one installed and it works great. I have no complaints about it and it looks like very good quality. I had to buy some adapters from one of the VW web sites, another $10-15 for a pair, and go to Home Depot for some wider fender type washers.

Here's an old link for one of these eBay sellers. This one had a ripoff shipping price, and he doesn't seem to be selling them any longer. But you can get the part/model numbers off of it. And there were threads here on The Samba about installing them in different models...including photos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILITARY-KIT-HMMWV-M998-HU...c#shpCntId

I don't remember which VW vendor I bought the adapters from but if you're interested I'll try to figure that out. Maybe one of the threads has a link, I know they had photos of the adapter.

John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Seat Belt Reply with quote

The Humvee belts are awesome! I have them in my bus and will be putting them in my beetle as well.
Now there are a ton of them on eBay. Just be careful, from what I've heard there are now some cheap Chinese knock offs being sold.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Seat Belt Reply with quote

I just picked these up on a recommendation from another member and couldn't be happier with the results.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321775976409?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/FHD-1046-1.html

I used them to replace my WW units and while they may not be as pretty, they are more comfortable, feel like they keep you in your seat better and stay adjusted the entire time you're driving. Still trying to decide if I want to try and replace the rears now.....
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
blue65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Seat Belt Reply with quote

Thanks the Humvee seat belt looks good. And cheap as well!!

Unfortunately I live in Australia and postage is really high.

The local distributors here sell the Wolfsburg West Seat belt.

wolfsburg west

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=ZVW20BBK

Has anyone else used them and can recommend them?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: