Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve lash for unknown aftermarket rocker setup.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Valve lash for unknown aftermarket rocker setup. Reply with quote

Oh the joys of buying someone else's build.

Would .006" still be a prudent lash adjustment with this rocker setup on an unknown camshaft? Bonus points if you can identify this rocker setup.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve lash for unknown aftermarket rocker setup. Reply with quote

the lash setting is 100% dependent on the pushrods.
steel is loose .000 and aluminum is .006"

i can see your heads are proudly "rebuilt" by GEX and i'm not sure if i see any lash caps on the valve stems.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve lash for unknown aftermarket rocker setup. Reply with quote

Take a magnet and see if it sticks to the pushrod's. If it does then it's +.000"
lash. I set my chromolly PR's to a gentle twist of the finger tips. No real measurement.
If not it's .006" to start.

Yea, that GEX stamp is a bit troublesome.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve lash for unknown aftermarket rocker setup. Reply with quote

1.5 ratio, no lash caps, GEX stamp on heads, stamped retainers, no gap at keepers.
.... it's a bomb Shocked

I think the best way to diffuse that would be take the rockers off entirely
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve lash for unknown aftermarket rocker setup. Reply with quote

Oh crap! Look at the OPs location! Shocked He's probably parked in the GEX parking lot right now! d'oh!

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve lash for unknown aftermarket rocker setup. Reply with quote

Thanks for the information fellas.

It appeared as though the previous owner had them all dialed into the .006 range. As you pointed out erroneously with steel pushrods. (I checked)

I didn't take it down to absolute zero this time. Till I get a better "feel" for setting these I went to a very draggy .0015" and I gotta say the difference is quite noticeable. A lot more throttle response and eagerness to rev and a smoothness of running was immediately noticed. So much so I may be reevaluating my idea of ordering a dual carb kit later.

Oh and those of you who rather than be helpful decided to ignore the question asked and denigrate the obvious. You are on ignore now so don't bother replying again.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve lash for unknown aftermarket rocker setup. Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:
Thanks for the information fellas.

It appeared as though the previous owner had them all dialed into the .006 range. As you pointed out erroneously with steel pushrods. (I checked)

I didn't take it down to absolute zero this time. Till I get a better "feel" for setting these I went to a very draggy .0015" and I gotta say the difference is quite noticeable. A lot more throttle response and eagerness to rev and a smoothness of running was immediately noticed. So much so I may be reevaluating my idea of ordering a dual carb kit later.

Oh and those of you who rather than be helpful decided to ignore the question asked and denigrate the obvious. You are on ignore now so don't bother replying again.

Some one needs a safe zone, gets feelings hurt easily, maybe some crayons will make you feel better? Maybe you should put on your big boy panties, grow a pair, and realize some of the people who "denigrate" the post actually have true merrit in what they say. Or dont, I really dont give a shit

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve lash for unknown aftermarket rocker setup. Reply with quote

If you are looking for more info on manufacture, take one of the black endcaps off, and measure the shaft. Empi has a set of rockers that use black endcaps, and have a larger than stock 19.5mm diameter shaft.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve lash for unknown aftermarket rocker setup. Reply with quote

how do the tips of the rockers look?? if there eaten up any reserface and put lash caps on,lower the rockers about .050 and set lash to zero. and look for a expiration date on those gex heads.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve lash for unknown aftermarket rocker setup. Reply with quote

You need lash caps. Those rockers can swipe clean off of those valve stems and bump those O.E. retainers. Do not buy SCAT's either. They're too loose-fitting. Buy $18 CB caps, and reset.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve lash for unknown aftermarket rocker setup. Reply with quote

I dont wont use the tight cb caps.Ive never had any issue with caps that rotate and lubracate inbetween.Ive use a few hundrad in the past 40 years. as for the tight ones Ive thrown away too many of them and some valves they effed up too. I like the scat&empi/bugpoop lash caps for most vw stuff. I have spent too much time resizing a set of cb caps and serface grinding them so they were flat where they contact the rocker along with dfl coating them.(I didnt feel like waiting for the scat ones to come in). but yes you need lash caps..again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: