Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

The engine is brand new...it's very hard to increase compression much more on a 36hp.

The carbs can be made to work...worst case as I see it is moving to a set of 36DRLA's which several others have used successfully with milder engines.

I need to get the exact specs on the cam, but I doubt Matthew (Aircooled Research) would grind a cam requiring 9-1 compression for a 36hp engine. It's his Stage 2 cam...I could be wrong on the comparison to a Super 90 cam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

Yes. The easiest way to increase cr is actually to bump the displacement, or install domed pistons. But the late model 1200 domed piston only increase cr with about 0,4, so not worth it. The next step is je I guess. Then we are back at increase displacement pricewise.
1200's with dual 36'es can work well. No problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

Well the DRLA 36's only go down to 28mm for venturi's but the newer DRLA 40's DRLA's show 26mm venturi's available, And the 356A carburetors the Zeniths 32 NDIX, I believe have a 24mm venturi available: S-90 and other 356 cam profiles, My VW engine with the Webcam 118 vs the engine with a W-100 profile Compression on these engines is around 8.5:1.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

Fwiw, I have just installed a sync link, and it is pretty much a genius piece of kit. I went up to visit Tim and pick it up as he's only 30 minutes north, and I bet he'd be up to help make a set for you. He's got some nice cnc machines, and has done several custom brackets for the cables, etc. IF the linkage is some component of the problem, the sync link is the answer to at least that much of it. You're in good hands otherwise..
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

the cam specs, according to the site are
Big lift
Long duration

Laughing
Is this mcdonalds?

One time at Wendy's the young lady asked me how many fries I'd like, so I said 75. i counted them, it was not far off!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

http://www.webcamshafts.com/mobile/automobile/volkswagen/volkswagen_36_hp_8v.html Who knows what the lift is on that Air cooled Research Stage 2 camshaft is though?
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

may not be relevant, would a Berg linkage fit your requirement? i have tried CB, CSP, Berg and the latter is by far the best in terms of throttle response, staying "in sync" and full throttle no issues. even when i remove the linkage for other repairs, i put it back and it is dead on unlike the cb setup. csp piece i could not get full throttle, not sure what i did wrong. i am on DRLAs

a mate of mine just got the new VS linkage and seem pleased with it.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

I'm afraid the Berg linkage will be too wide. My manifolds are close to the fan shroud and the 36hp engine is already narrow.

I had to shorten the CB hex bar over 1.5" to fit. Shortening the Berg linkage would not be easy. Originally it was my first choice.

I'll email Matthew to get the specs of the Stage 2 cam. I remember a post in the Vintage Speed forum a few years back that mentioned it was similar to the S-90...but I may be wrong.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

I did get feedback from another Samba member with my setup...he's running 55 idles and 115 mains.

I ordered 57 idles and 120 mains, so we'll see where that puts me.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

At .050 lift was 230 deg on 108 deg centers, and .330" lift. At .040" (which is more like the Porsche checking height) it measured 235 deg on 108 centers.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

Seems reasonable. That should be ok
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

I'd like to thank everyone for their help!

New jets arrived today (57 idles and 120 mains). Placed them in there and the spitting/popping is gone. Revs smooth from idle to full throttle. At full throttle I saw what I would call "splashing" at the top of the carbs...more like a mist. Is this from the 120's being too rich? It didn't pop...just curious

Now, I think I'm a little rich at idle, so the fine tuning begins. 50's are too lean and 57's are too rich. I was able to find lean best idle...so maybe I'm wrong
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

Sounds like reversion are you running any stacks? Looks like a fuel fog over the carbs

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

No stacks during this...but I do have a set...short ones
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

velocity stacks are very good at containing fuel standoff, as well as directing airflow more efficiently, use them.

do your stacks match the upper bore diameter? they should.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

Unfortunately no, they are bigger...does anyone make/sell stacks for the smaller bore of 36's?

I guess I could if comes down to it.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

John @ aircooled has them in 1" and 1-5/8". The height of your aircleaner elements determines which you can use, but he 1-5/8 would be preferable.

I forget, do you have a wideband on this thing yet? You will be chasing your tail somewhat until you can see your real-time AFR.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

My exhaust has the port(bung) for an O2 sensor, but I do not have a wide band.

Openings in the top of 36IDF's are ~37.8mm...my velocity stacks have an ID of 40mm. Mine are the same that John sells for 36/40 IDFs.

Dellorto-UK does sell a "custom" velocity stack for 36 IDFs with a 38mm ID, but they are definitely proud if them...$20 each
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

So with my setup/airflow, only being 1200cc, will that change the standard AFR's?

With 57 idles, I'm sure my AFR at idle is lower than 14.1...unless I'm misunderstanding again
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dual IDF Tuning - 36HPVW Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

Openings in the top of 36IDF's are ~37.8mm...my velocity stacks have an ID of 40mm. Mine are the same that John sells for 36/40 IDFs.

Dellorto-UK does sell a "custom" velocity stack for 36 IDFs with a 38mm ID, but they are definitely proud if them...$20 each

You should at least try the stacks you have. It's a good thing to pull the fog back where it belongs!
The other common (cheap, one size for everybody) stacks are 45mm I.D. . . . that's probably too much of a discrepancy for your 36IDF's.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: