Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A westy and a roof top tent?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever seen a roof top tent mounted to a westy? There are some creative folks out there. I really would like to figure this out. My girlfriend and I camp with two kids and two dogs. The Westy just ends up being packed tight and we need to set up a tent outside. Makes for a lot of work. I haven't really thought through it much other. I was checking out all the cool roof top tents they make. You can buy a really nice one under $2k. Is it just me or could others use something like this?
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

besides the weight load issues..
how would you keep from falling out of a RTT when the westy roof is popped at an angle?
or an I just missing the question?

take the girlfriend upstairs with you. leave the 2 kids & 2 dogs to figure it out below..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
besides the weight load issues..
how would you keep from falling out of a RTT when the westy roof is popped at an angle?
or an I just missing the question?

take the girlfriend upstairs with you. leave the 2 kids & 2 dogs to figure it out below..

Yeah the details need to be worked out and no the tent would not work on the angle of the pop top.

Just throwing it out there to see if someone clever has some ideas.

Kinda hard to talk the 12 year old boy and 10 year old girl into sleeping next to each other. They have done it but it seems like more hassle that it is worth.
[email protected]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

I have roof top tent on my tintop. I am not sure about a roof top tent on a westy... it would defeat the purpose of the poptop
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

I have a few ideas in my head of how it could work... but it would probably be more costly and a pain than what its worth, + the extra weight on an already under power van. I've seen some people pull small trailers behind their vans like the motorcycle ones but that van wasn't a westy.
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
I have roof top tent on my tintop. I am not sure about a roof top tent on a westy... it would defeat the purpose of the poptop

Yeah the top would still need to pop for sure. I am thinking it moves forward for the top to pop and moves back to drive down the road?
[email protected]

0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

you can have a roof top tent on your poptop but you can't use both at the same time that's for sure...

an alternative solution is a roof top tent on a small trailer... a DIY solution...

or this... quite $ $ $

https://www.sylvansport.com/go/#lg=1&slide=0
tgraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

Potentially you could do something custom over the luggage rack, but it would take some thought. I would think it would extend out over the windshield and would need to be supported on the ground. Like the Flip-Pack (http://www.flippac.com). Weight would be a consideration.

You could always Stretch Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

I think this would work nicely. It would require a custom alum top...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=575530&highlight=

Plus the benefit of separation between tent/van occupants!

newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

Pull a light weight adventure box trailer with the RTT on top of it.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

So, I have a rooftop tent that is actually a double Guide Cot from Cabela's. I made a simple platform it bolts to, and the platform works on any of my vehicles roofs - Vanagon, Cruisers, Mitsu.

I also found that the whole thing fits in the cargo space of the Vanagon as if it were designed to. The reason I mention it is it is a snap to set up vs a tent (2 minutes), and it has its own steel framed floor and was originally designed to sit on the ground. It's raised off the ground by its frame/folding legs. So you could pull this bad boy out, unfold it on the ground in 5 minutes and you've got a bomber 4 season sleeping pod for two, complete with their own entrances, windows, cup holders and yes, a sunroof. What's nice for two kids is there is a steel bar down the center that kinda separates and keeps one from flopping over on the other.

Or, if you're particularly clever (that would be you), I bet you could find a way to use it on the roof over the cargo box and fold off to the side, or forward.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
lovine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

If someone can make something like this work, it would be very interesting. Instead of just popping the top at an angle, go the full 180* and basically double up on space:
http://expeditionportal.com/news-at-overland-announces-new-tacoma-habitat/

That idea might not clear the rear hatch, so this might be better:
https://expeditionportal.com/featured-vehicle-jon-burtts-toyota-tacoma/

Bonus points for the Westfalia stickers on the taco Twisted Evil

Here it is photochopped. Not to scale, and it should probably sit more forward so the hinge is right at the B pillar, but the idea is there:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

I'll play!
IMHO.......

It seems like a lot of work for a poor solution.

You have the bedding you need already, "suck it up kids..... you can spend a night or two cramped together", Honestly you simply need to bring less stuff...... the 10lbs of sugar in a 5 lb bag issue.

I personally hate trailers but there are some really nice light weight "trail" trailers on the market today. Designed for both sleeping and lugging that extra 5 lbs of sugar that you feel must come along.

The reality is that the 12 year old will soon be opting out of going on the family weekend trips.
Parents are about to become a major source of embarrassment and the root cause of deep shame to him/her.

You're looking for a 3-4 year solution..... buy the trailer. It is Ready made and easily resold. If you choose brands wisely you'll sell it for darn near what you paid for it.

The only downside is power to pull it, but I'm guessing you are NOT being pushed along by a WBX!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

I love the ideas. The flip over is pretty interesting.

Doug, do you have a link to the Cabella's thing your talking about?

Dave, I agree the timeline is short for this need for my situation . I just like the idea though. RTT's are kind of the new rage and if we can figure out how to incorporate them into a Westy. I won't be the only one that is interested.
[email protected]

pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

Can you try to mount a small 2-person roof top tent sideways over the front carrier such that you deploy it forward? I've seen some Defender 90 using a similar solution. You might have to remove the carrier for an easier fit.

Tepui tents have several 2-person tents that might fit (there're many other similar brands).

http://tepuitents.com/collections/2-person-rooftop-tents

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

I don't see a roof top tenting being much less, if any less, work then a ground based tent?

I do see other advantages though, water, rodents, small mammals and reptiles.....
No dogs either.......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

Boy, I have seen some folks trying to squeeze more oura less, this is a little crazy.

Park the minivan, think Prevost till Jr. doesn't want to attend any longer.
Sell the Prevost, go back to the Westy.

A buddy of mine has a Prevost, I can't see why anyone would want to venture out in anything else.

Plus---at 40' long it'll roll down the highway of life at 90--plus.
I took it down to Fla. last fall for him, driving it back in May.

Impressive comfort.

Pretty neat ride.

Too much work , the top of a westy is limiting.
Pull a Coleman camper behind you.
Hook up and go.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

@ OP...

so your goal is getting a 3rd bed for the kids... in my opinion putting a roof top tent with the poptop is quite hard to do but it can be done involving braces and supports etc etc..

some other options are:
- roof top tent on a small trailer
- a high top w. 2 beds in it

or this modified/extended poptop w. 2 beds... (from Howesight )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6849793
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

Doesn't the Westy come equipped with a roof-top tent? Think Razz

This seems like a lot of work for what amounts to a short-term solution. I'd just throw the boy in one of these:

Wink

My dad prefers sleeping on a cot. I bought the Teton Sports cot tent for him, which is compact, lightweight, and quick to deploy. Can use the tent on any oversized cot, or on the ground. It's come in quite handy.

Terry Kay wrote:
A buddy of mine has a Prevost, I can't see why anyone would want to venture out in anything else.

I can. My aunt & uncle lived in their 45-foot mansion on wheels for about 10 years. Guess where they couldn't take it? Basically whereever my Westy could go. Furthermore, they were going to drive it from Palm Springs to Daytona and back one year... until they calculated the fuel cost. Not to mention all the electrical problems with it. They've since moved back into a house and the luxo RV has been parked ever since. Nice to admire, but it's the last type of travel vehicle I'd consider owning.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: A westy and a roof top tent? Reply with quote

We need a bit more room ourselves. I'm offering the ARB awning room and a cot for anybody who doesn't appreciate my snoring.

Oh wait, I said that wrong: The ARB room and cot are where I'll be sleeping.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: