Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wide fenders
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ry1973standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Wide fenders Reply with quote

I just installed drop spindles and disc break conversion on my 73 standard. I knew before I did the work I might have rub issues but had other plans in mind. That being said, my direction was heading towards a wide fenders look. I'm interested in what everyone thinks about wide fenders and problems I might encounter. My goal would be to run custom wheels without worrying about rubbing and also to get a more custom look. But I don't want to get into that weird 80's wide body craziness. Ideas?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide fenders Reply with quote

Might be hard to find now, but back in the day there were fenders that were wider, but had a similar curve to the stock fenders, so they didn't haver that '80s flared look.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide fenders Reply with quote

All of the wide fenders I've seen look ridiculous to me. I say narrow your beam and be done with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide fenders Reply with quote

check out http://www.creativecarcraft.com/

From what I hear, the quality is good and they have various widths. Most folks go with a narrowed beam, and keep in mind if you are doing the fronts, you REALLY need to do the rears as well.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide fenders Reply with quote

Go narrowed beam, I have never seen the wide fenders look good, just saying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide fenders Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:

From what I hear, the quality is good and they have various widths. Most folks go with a narrowed beam, and keep in mind if you are doing the fronts, you REALLY need to do the rears as well.

If you do the creative car crap, make sure you grow your mullet out completely before going full mulholland. Go ahead and weave a few feathers and beads into that badass party in the back for extra cred.

Seriously, though. You car looks beautiful as is. Narrow the beam and retain some dignity.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide fenders Reply with quote

If it is stock style, and not the "I want the 1980s General Motors cheesy look" style, it won't be so bad if the rest of the car is pretty stock. This from a stock guy at that! And you will not have messed up your handling with a narrowed beam. Depends what you are looking for.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wide fenders Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
andk5591 wrote:

If you do the creative car crap, make sure you grow your mullet out completely before going full mulholland. Go ahead and weave a few feathers and beads into that badass party in the back for extra cred.

Seriously, though. You car looks beautiful as is. Narrow the beam and retain some dignity.

Little harsh man. Not everyone wants the same cookie cutter, dropped, narrowed beam look. Some people opt for individuality like checkerboard beltline paint or widened fenders.... I'm not a huge fan honestly, but looking at the "readers rides" on the CCC site and there are a few really nice looking later model cars on there. Especially if someone is going more for the "German look", I think they look good.

To each his own.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Wide fenders Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
awreed wrote:
andk5591 wrote:

Little harsh man. Not everyone wants the same cookie cutter, dropped, narrowed beam look. Some people opt for individuality like checkerboard beltline paint or widened fenders.... I'm not a huge fan honestly, but looking at the "readers rides" on the CCC site and there are a few really nice looking later model cars on there. Especially if someone is going more for the "German look", I think they look good.

To each his own.

Agree totally - will be doing a canyon carver 66 in the future with a Suby conversion. Want to get as much rubber under it as possible. And increasing track width along with lowering doesnt leave many options.... It can be done with taste IMHO.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Wide fenders Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
awreed wrote:
andk5591 wrote:

To each his own.

Fair enough. I might have laid it on a little too thick. And yes, some of the CCC mods do actually look good. Lotta money, though.

Let me rephrase. The OP has what looks to be a very stock and very clean SB. Why buy four new fenders that you'll need to get painted to match when you can simply narrow the beam a few inches and mostly retain the stock look? It's true that some people go overboard and chop, like, 6" off their beam and make the car handle like crap (and look like crap to some). But you don't need to lose 6" to keep the stock tires from rubbing.

If you are putting wider tires on the back and want them covered, then wide fenders seem to be the best option. The other way around- as stated earlier, you'll HAVE to do the rears as well.
Wide rear, narrow front- meh, ok.
Wide front, narrow rear- ridiculous.

If the OP does go with the wider fenders, less is more. Measure and get the right width. Don't go too wide.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide fenders Reply with quote

^^ Agreed. Planning is essential in these things. Know what look you are going for and plan accordingly. With that said, decide now, make a plan and stick with it. Too many times I've seen someone going for a certain look and then they do something that just doesn't look good. Lets take the OPs car. If he does opt for wider tires/fenders, I would remove the roof rack. But personally I think roof racks on late models doesn't look right. To me roof rack screams "vintage" and late models don't fit the bill for me for that look. Again though, its all personal taste and your car so plan it out and do it right.

Good luck.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: