Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The last time I drove my Vanagon was...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was..... Reply with quote

Last Oct. 9th when I put them in storage before I went traveling.
Going back this Friday finally, but it's possible I just got a job down in Baja so I might not have time to drive them. Sad Smile Very Happy
Fingers crossed on the job!

I'll have to double check the battery chargers before I go as a minimum. It'll be 6 months before I get the chance to come back.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was..... Reply with quote

Saturday... but it got wet so I came home early. Bummer Crying or Very sad I mainly wanted to drive the van a few hundred miles on these Nokian WR C 205/65/16 tires to see the driving difference on smaller tires, highway and off road. Also I wanted to see how they held up on off road conditions/mud/rocks. They are about worn out so I was not worried about ruining them. And I did take a chunk out of one that I noticed. Still looking for the all around size and tire for my use.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
g shepherd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was..... Reply with quote

Looks like you drove it enough for a bunch of us!
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was..... Reply with quote

Yesterday. Drive the beast 2-3 times a week. Would drive it daily but the '50 Chebbie truck would get way too pissed off, so I must share the love.

Craig
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was..... Reply with quote

Last November Sad.

Working on seam rust, Jalousie install, 2 windows for seal replacement and rust removal, shifter bushings, shifter rebuild, powder-coat my exhaust header, oy....

At least the nicer weather means I may be more inclined ( and able ) to get some work done in the garage.
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was..... Reply with quote

The Syncro a couple of days ago to to shed all the snow in the top. The tiptop hasn't ledft the driveway since the snow started falling in November. With the highway tires that are on it I can't even get it out of its parking spot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
‘06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
dplumtree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was..... Reply with quote

November 20 for a tailgate party at the CFL western final. been nicely tucked in the garage and won't come out till April.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was..... Reply with quote

^^^ Similar here.

Not sure of the date, but it seems like "...since the snows of winter
covered these lands...since the kingdom of Mercia...before...umm
..."

"Hey, where'd you get those coconuts...???"

[/scene] . . . . . . . . Wink

Work weekends in the garage starting March (once the garage heater has a chance of
making any progress against the now-warming weather) then on the road in April after
a few good projects are wrapped up & the rain has washed some salt off the roads... Rolling Eyes

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was..... Reply with quote

What is the flight velocity of an unladen swallow?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was..... Reply with quote

My van is a DD for about two days a week each week. In a few days my GF will be taking it for a six week western states loop. I'm staying home. I must be bad at math or planning or something. But I do pick smart partners. Smile

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was... Reply with quote

About three weeks ago, from car wash to its home at the in-laws to await our next visit...

Rub-a-dub vee-dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was... Reply with quote

Sept 28th, 2016. Before i left for Key West and then got stuck down there during hurricane Matthew. Van got smushed so i wasnt able to drive it after and now its at the body shop getting a new lease on life!
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was... Reply with quote

Pretty much everyday it's not raining and the roads are dry. This New England weather has been a blessing the past few days. Got some miles in this past weekend across the Mass Pike and NY Thruway. Went snowboarding in some mash potatoes and was grateful for the westy with the tent popped to hang out and put on/take off my gear.

Dude, where's your van?
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was... Reply with quote

Yesterday. It's my daily default.
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was... Reply with quote

TODAY!!!

We just wrapped up a week of freakish warm weather followed last night by an intense thunderstorm dropping buckets of water.

Today the puddles dried up and I thought "why not?" The salt is gone, and we have the post storm beautiful day of blue skies and sunshine.
So....... Two, three hours tooling the backroads of Morris and Hunterdon Counties.

Good times!

First....
Heat works....... roasted the Wife
Then......
A/C works........ froze the Wife
Then
We settled on a comfortably warm temperature for the rest of the trip.

Van ran great! Ready to go to Montana again! But alas, I don't think that's in this years cards........ donations for the trip are accepted via PayPal! Laughing
"GoFundMyVacation?"

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was... Reply with quote

Dave, here in Rhode Island we got some rain last night and felt the Vanagon needed to get up to temp and get the lifters pumped up and anjoy driving my van!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was... Reply with quote

Just last week several nice days now we half a half foot of snow so she is covered. CO warm then cold.
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was... Reply with quote

Today, as well as a camping trip last weekend and a couple days of daily driving this week.

This winter saw the biggest storm our area has seen in over twenty years, in fact the prior storm occurred about the time my van would have been getting it's first major service! We had multiple days with over a foot of snow, and the roads rarely cleared well. However, I was still able to get the van out for a drive about once a week. The main roads would clear just enough to allow that. Now we appear to be past the snow and the van is going to get some more regular use!

I'm so glad this area doesn't use salt.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was... Reply with quote

Yesterday, went surfing.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The last time I drove my Vanagon was... Reply with quote

yesterday, to do the food shopping run…I like that I can always find it in a parking lot (not many 7 foot tall rigs out there).

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: